Action is the only truth

James

Action is the only truth

James

Action is the only truth

James

Scott Henderson: Vibe Station (2015)

By GLENN ASTARITA (allaboutjazz.com)

Guitarist Scott Henderson is one of a select few artists who raised jazz fusion from the embers in the 80s, namely with the band, Tribal Tech. Indeed, this unit proffered a much needed uplift via a far-reaching perspective and armed with a torrential improvisational credo on numerous fronts. Since then, the guitarist has performed with other high-flying units but as a solo artist, he often kicks out the jazz rock, fusion and blues rock jams within the power trio format. Henderson's searing wizardry is vividly perceptible on Vibe Station, as he often converses with himself by modulating distortion-based tones on his electric guitar and by creating a polychromatic aural feast with variable currents and intensity levels.

Henderson wreaks havoc on his guitar amid howling bottleneck notes, multihued chord voicings and ungodly hype-mode licks atop the rhythm section's slamming grooves and agile progressions. He often harmonizes with bassist Travis Carlton and during a variety of movements the trio summons an Armageddon with supple and heightening choruses within the prog-metal domain.

The title track "Vibe Station," is centered on jazz and funk motifs, countered by the leader's gravelly phrasings, blazing runs and shock-therapy type cadenzas. Henderson uses an electric sitar or perhaps some electronics-based sampling process on the humming and buzzing jazz fusion fest "Manic Carpet," abetted by his fervent call and response dialogue with drummer Alan Hertz during the bridge. And the jazz influences resurface with a Thelonious Monk-like primary theme and prickly bop lines on "The Covered Head," as the band surges into a lofty and tempestuous improv segment, revved up by Henderson's caustic shadings, weeping breakouts and supersonic single note riffs.

"Dew Wot?" is another piece where the tide shifts and momentum builds upon a twirling and shuffling cadence, seguing into a hot n' nasty blues rock foray, contrasted with knotty time signatures, used as a passageway into an interminable abyss. Ultimately, Vibe Station should be deemed essential listening for Henderson's legion of admirers, along with curious students and others not thoroughly acquainted with his formidable legacy.

Track Listing: Church of Xotic Dance; Sphinx; Vibe Station; Manic Carpet; Calhoun; The Covered Head; Festival of Ghosts; Dew Wot?; Chelsea Bridge.

Personnel: Scott Henderson: guitar; Travis Carlton: bass; Alan Hertz: drums.

Record Label: Self Produced

[asin]B00X1B4YEI[/asin]
Action is the only truth

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dancing Divertimentian

Not just swing, but daringly original musicianship along with impressive compositional chops and exquisite taste. Shaw knew when to make his presence felt but also when to lay back for others to shine. It's all about the quality of the piece, not hotdogging.

The recordings are mostly live to catch the appropriate fire.

[asin]B00005PJBJ[/asin]   
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Henk

Disc 2.
[asin]B00005UVPE[/asin]

BTW Somebody know why you need to put some character above an Asin picture?

I try to get my album cover pics somewhere else on the internet than Amazon, but can't find a good alternative. When I copy a picturelink on Amazon, this first time it goes wrong, I need to copy twice, pretty annoying.
'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

Scion7

Andrew Hill - Point of Departure, with Dolphy, Davis, etc.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

Yes, his Sixties work was outstanding, as is Nefertiti and his Arista/Freedom album, Spiral.  I've never seen him live - would have loved to in the Sixties, but was still living in England then, and I don't think he toured the UK?
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

George

Last night, enjoyed this recent acquisition. My girlfriend, who usually doesn't enjoy jazz, actually enjoyed it.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Scion7

Quote from: sanantonio on September 03, 2015, 12:53:09 PM
Actually, according to the obituary in The Guardian he did :

In 1990 Hill came to Britain ...

I was speaking of the Sixties, when I was still in Manchester.  I left for America 12 years before 1990.  :)

Scion7

^ cool album - I read the review in Guitar Player about that record and got it within a couple of days and was very pleased - although I think it is two times as good - at least - as anything else he's done ......  it's his "hit"

XB-70 Valkyrie

In my Solitude by Branford Marsalis.

I am really enjoying these solo sax performances recorded in San Francisco's beautiful (and beautiful sounding) Grace Cathedral. The acoustic is wonderful, but not overly reverberent. Unfortunately it was a live recording, but this is not too annoying--just that the theme of solitude would have worked better in an empty venue and without applause intruding between each piece (And I could have done without an idiot audience member's watch beeping at one point).

MAI is a piece that apparently was written for shakuhachi  (of which I am a huge fan) or written to mimic shakuhachi effects on the soprano saxophone (he mostly plays tenor on this disc). It is an amazing performance in any case.

Most of the pieces are contempletive and slow, but so far MAI takes the cake on this disc.

I used to play alto in high school, and this disc makes me want to pick it up again. (If I played, there would be no problem with applause  :laugh: )

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Scion7

a couple of oldies but goodies before heading off to the college:

Makes good 5 a.m. music.  They had to be a little stoned, tho'.

NikF

Not on par with the 'Time' series, but an enjoyable listen nonetheless.

[asin]B00GXEXZWW[/asin]

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Bogey

Quote from: NikF on September 04, 2015, 06:48:40 AM
Not on par with the 'Time' series, but an enjoyable listen nonetheless.

[asin]B00GXEXZWW[/asin]

Fantastic album!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Henk

This really is a great recording. Try it. Released this year. Calm stuff, but totally not boring.
'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on September 03, 2015, 05:39:51 PM
The version of "Cafe" that's on it is the best he's done, I think.  But I also like Magico and Folk Songs.  I am a fan, I've got 35 of his recordings.

+1 Love Gismonti's music.

NikF

I don't often provide music for listening to at work, but this morning I brought along this.

[asin]B00000IL28[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".