What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

Quote from: Mookalafalas on November 25, 2015, 12:56:03 AM
Art Tatum on Vogue.  The "American" box has worse sound than the other vogue box, but it's OK.  With performances like these, it is simply a blessing to have them.

What material is that anyway? I'd assume Decca recordings from the thirties? Does the booklet disclose the original label the music was released on? (I don't think the box contains any proper Vogue/Swing recordings, rather it's stuff that Vogue licensed for European (or French) distribution. They had some nice things there for sure, but for someone with a large jazz collection, this second box is a bit of a let-down and much of it isn't rare at all, while they could have easily done another box of proper Vogue material that is much scarcer.

Anyway, the first one was a quality job, I bought it despite already owning 95% or more of it, so I won't blame anyone for getting the second one!  :)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Bogey

A morning with Miss Peggy Lee. The first lp features Nelson Riddle and truly swings.  On the second lp, Jack Marshall (conductor of The Munsters' theme music)and  from Jayhawk state next door is featured as the conductor on my favorite Lee album and one that I will wear out.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mookalafalas

Quote from: king ubu on November 25, 2015, 03:41:31 AM
What material is that anyway? I'd assume Decca recordings from the thirties? Does the booklet disclose the original label the music was released on? (I don't think the box contains any proper Vogue/Swing recordings, rather it's stuff that Vogue licensed for European (or French) distribution. They had some nice things there for sure, but for someone with a large jazz collection, this second box is a bit of a let-down and much of it isn't rare at all, while they could have easily done another box of proper Vogue material that is much scarcer.

Anyway, the first one was a quality job, I bought it despite already owning 95% or more of it, so I won't blame anyone for getting the second one!  :)

The Booklet says recorded live for "Gene Norman's 'Just Jazz' concert" 1949 and 1947, mostly,-- some 1950.  About half were originally released through Vogue (Jazz-disques), others through Modern (music) Recordsand Discovery Records. 
   Sound is rough at times, but the life stuff occasionally gets pretty exciting.

In the other Vogue box the recordings up to 1950 are rather poor and the later ones (lots around 1953) quite good.  Most of this box is 1950 or before. I probably shouldn't have bought it, but as soon as I saw it I pounced.
It's all good...

king ubu

well, musically, it contains lots of very good stuff, no doubt ... found this through another discussion board:

Listing of albums included, from http://www.francemusique.fr/agenda/sortie-cd-jazz-america-disques-vogue-40-chefs-d-oeuvre-du-jazz-en-20-edition-limitee:

LE PROGRAMME :
1. Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn / New Stars - New Sounds Vol. 2 (+ Serge Chaloff)
2. Stan Getz Quartet / The Stan Getz Quintette - Jazz At Storyville
3. Art Tatum From Gene Norman's Just Jazz / Gene Norman's Just Jazz Vol. 3 / Frank Bull And Gene Norman's Blues Jubilee
4. Charlie Christian At Minton's / Charlie Christian - Dizzy Gillespie At Minton's
5. Dixieland Jubilee Vol. 1 / Vol. 2 (Lu Watters - Kid Ory / Albert Nicholas)
6. Charlie Parker Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
7. Originators Of Modern Jazz / A Date With... Vol. 1 / Vol. 2 (Dizzy Gillespie - Charlie Parker - Fats Navarro  - Red Norvo - Hank Jones - Howard McGhee - James Moody - Buck Clayton - Hot Lips Page)
8. Erroll Garner Trio Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
9. Kings of Boogie Woogie (Albert Ammons - Meade Lux Lewis - Blind John Davis)
10. Mahalia Jackson Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
11. The Spirit Of Memphis Quartet (+ John Lee Hooker)
12. Wynonie Mr Blues Harris / Earl Bostic His Alto Sax And His Orchestra
13. Jelly Roll Morton - Piano Solos
14. Dave Brubeck Quartet Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
15. Miles Davis - Young Man With a Horn Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
16. Red Norvo - Men at Work Vol. 1 / Vol. 2 / George Shearing Quintet
17. Gerry Mulligan Quartet Vol. 2 / Vol. 3 / Vol. 4
18. Chet Baker Quartet Vol. 1 / Vol. 2
19. Sidney Bechet And His Blue Note Jazzmen Vol. 3 / Vol. 4
20. Lester Young Les Chefs-d'œuvre de Lester Young Vol. 1 / Vol. 2

So, for instance, disc 1 looks like Mercer recordings, discs 15 and 19 contain Blue Note recordings (definitively in the case of Bechet, quite surely for Miles), the (musically) brilliant air-checks on disc 4 were released on Esoteric/Period, the Getz seems to be from his amazing live recordings done by Roost, discs 6-8 probably are taken from Dial sessions etc. The sound I'd not dare to judge, but with the people/sources involved I'd expect it to be okay in general (of course the quality of original sources have to be take into account, and granted, a UK EMI recording from the early thirties done under perfect studio conditions will sound worlds apart from air checks done at a noisy jazz club or platters produced by independent labels in rented studios that you would have paid by the hour).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Idrees Sulieman - Now Is The Time

Clifford Brown - Memorial Album

Dancing Divertimentian

More from this quality group. Lots of good things going on. Lots to enjoy.

No asin image, so link to Amazon here

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

king ubu

received yesterday, finally:

[asin]B013YKN6IU[/asin]
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

have heard her live several times in various set-ups (including some of her own bands/projects), but own very few recordings of her so far (just bought two duos with Stephen Crump on Intakt as well):

[asin]B00E9E4I6U[/asin]

might actually catch her live again on saturday (with the Tom Rainey Trio, also including Ingrid Laubrock)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Bogey

From '61

Elvin Jones my all time favorite jazz drummer? He's definitely in the conversation.

As for this first recording(?) of My Favorite Things, definitely one of the watershed moments for Coltrane.  In fact, the whole album seems to be.  Not my favorite version of the Rodgers and Hammerstein title song (that belongs to the live version that was caught on tape at Birdland in '62), but one that I enjoy.  It would be interesting to dig up the edited version that got a lot of play on the radio back in the day.  If anyone can dig this up, please post it here.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Green Destiny

Quote from: Bogey on November 27, 2015, 04:57:21 AM
From '61

Elvin Jones my all time favorite jazz drummer? He's definitely in the conversation.

As for this first recording(?) of My Favorite Things, definitely one of the watershed moments for Coltrane.  In fact, the whole album seems to be.  Not my favorite version of the Rodgers and Hammerstein title song (that belongs to the live version that was caught on tape at Birdland in '62), but one that I enjoy.  It would be interesting to dig up the edited version that got a lot of play on the radio back in the day.  If anyone can dig this up, please post it here.

I love this one too - great recording! :)

Green Destiny

Now playing:

This album had become my favourite Miles Davis - early MD is the best! :)

Green Destiny

Bogey

Green Destiny

George

Gonna listen to all the DCC early Jazz Miles Davis CDs in the coming week. This one is (chronologically) first.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

^ As wonderful as all the early Miles albums are, my personal favorites of the pre-Columbia years are - significantly, I think - the four that feature a vibraphonist in the band: Blue Moods, Quintet/Sextet, Bags Groove and With The Modern Jazz Giants.

Actually I think i'll join you all and play one right now:

Teddy Charles on this one, Milt Jackson on the other three.

(and this is reminding me its been too long since I've played any Teddy Charles albums)

North Star

Quote from: Green Destiny on November 27, 2015, 12:29:02 PM
Now playing:

Good stuff - I think it's time to revisit it as it's been some 18 months.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 27, 2015, 02:10:30 PM
^ As wonderful as all the early Miles albums are, my personal favorites of the pre-Columbia years are - significantly, I think - the four that feature a vibraphonist in the band: Blue Moods, Quintet/Sextet, Bags Groove and With The Modern Jazz Giants.

Quintet/Sextet I have, and I plan to listen to it when it comes up chronologically.

Green Destiny

George

As promised, now spinning this beauty...