George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Green Destiny

Very happy its Friday night again :)
Tonights listening:

Green Destiny

Really like this MD box - one more before bed:

king ubu

this one ... started with the first one a couple of days ago, now much of the rest (skipping the sideman albums for the moment, they're part of previous boxes):

[asin]B011MICAQK[/asin]
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

king ubu

first spin, very good:

[asin]B00S8XJ84K[/asin]
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

earlier:

[asin]B014I67JIM[/asin]

now:

[asin]B011AMSODG[/asin]
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Green Destiny

Now Playing:

Currently on Disc 1 - for an old live recording this one has pretty nice sound.
Great music as you would expect :)

Green Destiny

I've got nothing better to do today so I decided to give MD's Modal Jazz another shot - I find this period of his output a bit perplexing. I want to and should like it but I find it quite boring :-[.
But I will give it another try to see if I changed my mind :)
Just making some High-Rez versions of the Modal albums now and playing this album while I work:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Green Destiny on December 04, 2015, 08:16:01 PMI've got nothing better to do today so I decided to give MD's Modal Jazz another shot - I find this period of his output a bit perplexing. I want to and should like it but I find it quite boring :-[.

You find Kind Of Blue boring? ??? It's okay we can still be friends, Conor. ;D

Green Destiny

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 04, 2015, 08:35:02 PM
You find Kind Of Blue boring? ??? It's okay we can still be friends, Conor. ;D

Oh, I really like kind Of Blue! - maybe I am using the term Modal jazz incorrectly?. Miles albums after Seven Steps To Heaven and before In A Silent Way are the ones I find a bit boring.
Not sure what kind of Jazz this is described as?

I am trying one of the albums I "struggle" with now:

Green Destiny

I read up a bit more and it appears I was using the term Modal Jazz incorrectly - oops!.
I quite enjoyed E.S.P. so I decided to give another of the more abstract albums (for want of a better word) a shot:

Not bad :)

SimonNZ

Quote from: Green Destiny on December 04, 2015, 08:50:04 PM
. Miles albums after Seven Steps To Heaven and before In A Silent Way are the ones I find a bit boring.

The Second Quintet albums? I had mixed feelings about them when I first started listen to Miles, but later (and now) feel its his best band and each document of that group is in its own unique way essential.

playing now:

John Surman / John Warren ‎- Tales Of The Algonquin

king ubu

Sheesh, that's some of the best music around if you like jazz  ;D

Seriously, it took me a while to warm to KoB myself, when I started exploring jazz in my teens ... "Workin'" was the other MD album the school library had, and that one immediately clicked with me ... took some reading and some more exploring to realize why KoB was such a revered album - and by that time I must have owned more than half of Miles' Prestige output (namely the recordings with Sonny Rollins, Milt Jackson, and of course the others with Coltrane/Garland/Chambers/Jones) ... and also I fell for "Milestones", which is the album - along with Cannonball Adderley's glorious "Somethin' Else" - where Miles starts exploring the stuff that was brought to perfection on KoB.

Thread duty - another first spin, another impressive disc (the Schweizer-Bennink is effin' hilarious!)

[asin]B00VXWO7US[/asin]
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Funny how these things work - I loved KoB from the first notes of the first listen, can still remember exactly where I was. But Somethin Else is an album that, while I have nothing against, has little emotional resonance with me, even after dozens of plays over dozens of years.

I might try and play it again tonight to see if I can pinpoint where the personal disconnection may lie.

Green Destiny

Hey guys, thanks for your replies - I do like KOB , as Simon pointed out its the Second Quintet recordings I have been struggling with a bit.
But I made some progress already - I listened to E.S.P. and Miles Smiles last night and enjoyed them so its probably just a matter of being in the right mood to appreciate the music. I find the Second Quintet stuff a bit more abstract and exploratory than the earlier albums. Its been my opinion that these albums are a little unfocused but like I said it probably just wasn't the right time to listen to them.
I was feeling pretty laid back this weekend so the music meandering around a bit didn't bother me the same as it has in the past :)

Now Playing:

Another Jazz purchase I struggled with a bit - I got it 3 years ago and haven't listened to it much. I thought the Free Jazz album was pretty awful truth be told ;D.
But Change of The Century is a pretty cool album - I will explore this set and the Second Quintet MD recordings a bit this week I think.

Green Destiny