What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Dancing Divertimentian

Sonny Stitt. Very distinctive sax sound. Much to my liking.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Green Destiny

Green Destiny

SimonNZ

Rashaan Roland Kirk - The Inflated Tear

Henk

Green Destiny

Quote from: Henk on December 07, 2015, 11:24:00 PM
~
[asin]B00SM3VALA[/asin]

This looks pretty interesting - an Electric Bass player?
Lots of the stuff people post here I don't know about as Ive only been listening to Jazz for about 4 years :o

Green Destiny

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 07, 2015, 11:23:43 PM

Rashaan Roland Kirk - The Inflated Tear

Hey Simon,
I have this recording as part of the Atlantic Jazz box I bought a couple of years back but I don't think I heard it yet :-[.
Must rememdy this soon! :)

Henk

Quote from: Green Destiny on December 07, 2015, 11:29:24 PM
This looks pretty interesting - an Electric Bass player?
Lots of the stuff people post here I don't know about as Ive only been listening to Jazz for about 4 years :o

Yes, Marcus Miller, he played with Miles Davis in the 80s and wrote compositions for his albums. Really a terrific bass player and quite famous for a jazz artist.

This recording soothes the soul. :)

SimonNZ

Quote from: Green Destiny on December 07, 2015, 11:30:43 PM
Hey Simon,
I have this recording as part of the Atlantic Jazz box I bought a couple of years back but I don't think I heard it yet :-[.
Must rememdy this soon! :)

Is that this box:?:

Not sure just at this second what else Atlantic have in their Jazz catalogue, but that seems some unusual choices for a 20cd overview.

...but unusual is good! Not just the usual suspects...

Green Destiny

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 07, 2015, 11:36:17 PM
Is that this box:?:

Not sure just at this second what else Atlantic have in their Jazz catalogue, but that seems some unusual choices for a 20cd overview.

...but unusual is good! Not just the usual suspects...

Yes that's the one - haha, yes its a pretty mixed bag as a box set :o.
I really like some of this box - I think my favourite albums (so far) has been Herbie Mann's Memphis Underground and Freddie Hubbards Backlash.
Some of the stuff I really disliked though ;D - I don't think Ill be listening to the Mose Allison record or Roy Ayers Virgo Vibes again any time soon!.
I can see from that handy image you posted that I still haven't listened (properly) to 3 or 4 of the albums :).
Is the Roland Kirk album a good one?

Green Destiny

Quote from: Henk on December 07, 2015, 11:35:56 PM
Yes, Marcus Miller, he played with Miles Davis in the 80s and wrote compositions for his albums. Really a terrific bass player and quite famous for a jazz artist.

This recording soothes the soul. :)

Good stuff I never heard of him before - does he play on Star People or Decoy? (I have those albums as part of the Miles Davis collection box).

SimonNZ

Quote from: Green Destiny on December 07, 2015, 11:45:34 PM
Is the Roland Kirk album a good one?

Very good, though for some reason I don't put it on as often as I should.

Of the Miles albums that Marcus Miller plays on Tutu probably showcases him best. Its a sound very much situated in its time - the mid 80s, but I have a soft spot for it - and Miles is really playing constantly on Tutu, unlike some of his other Warner albums where he just occasionally adds a splash or two of colour.

Henk

Quote from: Green Destiny on December 07, 2015, 11:46:54 PM
Good stuff I never heard of him before - does he play on Star People or Decoy? (I have those albums as part of the Miles Davis collection box).

Had to search for the album. He plays on Star People. Probably also Decoy, but I can't find that album now.

He plays on most of his (Davis') 80s albums.

Green Destiny

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 07, 2015, 11:53:48 PM
Very good, though for some reason I don't put it on as often as I should.

Of the Miles albums that Marcus Miller plays on Tutu probably showcases him best. Its a sound very much situated in its time, but I have a soft spot for it - and Miles is really playing constantly on Tutu, unlike some of his other Warner albums where he just occasionally adds a splash or two of colour.

Thanks Simon - I do have a copy of Tutu knocking around somewhere but I think I only listened to it once before (I remember I thought it was good just that I haven't got back to it yet).
I think I need to listen to Tutu and The Inflated Tear soon! :)

Quote from: Henk on December 07, 2015, 11:56:22 PM
Had to search for the album. He plays on Star People. Probably also Decoy, but I can't find that album now.

He plays on most of his (Davis') 80s albums.

Thanks Henk - I must admit to really liking the Electric Bass on Miles Davis later albums. I thought Star People and Decoy were pretty good albums, It would be cool to give them a spin again along with Tutu.

SimonNZ

Darryl "The Munch" Jones plays bass on Decoy (and You're Under Arrest), who I know better from Sting's first two jazzy solo records (before Sting became an insufferable "m.o.r." a-hole). I'm also learning just now that he took over as bassist for The Rolling Stones after Bill Wyman left.

Henk

Quote from: Green Destiny on December 08, 2015, 12:01:12 AM
Thanks Simon - I do have a copy of Tutu knocking around somewhere but I think I only listened to it once before (I remember I thought it was good just that I haven't got back to it yet).
I think I need to listen to Tutu and The Inflated Tear soon! :)

Thanks Henk - I must admit to really liking the Electric Bass on Miles Davis later albums. I thought Star People and Decoy were pretty good albums, It would be cool to give them a spin again along with Tutu.

Tutu contains compositions of Miller.

Henk

Henk

Henk