What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. D. and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mookalafalas

Disc II.  Wow.  Quiet, ambling, relaxed, fun.  Fantastic sound.  Really like they are in the room.

It's all good...

Green Destiny

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 08, 2015, 12:08:31 AM
Darryl "The Munch" Jones plays bass on Decoy (and You're Under Arrest), who I know better from Sting's first two jazzy solo records (before Sting became an insufferable "m.o.r." a-hole). I'm also learning just now that he took over as bassist for The Rolling Stones after Bill Wyman left.
Quote from: Henk on December 08, 2015, 12:10:00 AM
Tutu contains compositions of Miller.

Good stuff - thanks for the info guys :)
I am copying Tutu, Amandla, Decoy and Star people to my music player and will listen to them soon too!

Green Destiny

As promised now listening to this album:

Sounds good - I like it :)

Henk

Green Destiny

Just listened to a few tracks from Tutu and now listening to this compilation (I changed my mind and was feeling like listening to some older style Jazz) :):

Henk

Quote from: Green Destiny on December 08, 2015, 11:57:51 PM
Just listened to a few tracks from Tutu and now listening to this compilation (I changed my mind and was feeling like listening to some older style Jazz) :):

:)

TD:
[asin]B014JC16CK[/asin]

Artem

Quote from: Henk on December 08, 2015, 01:53:08 AM

That is a great album.

I listened to this today, which sounded like your regular Sanders' recording. No big surprises here.

[asin]B000024Y5J[/asin]

Green Destiny

Now Playing:

Another one from the Atlantic Jazz box - really like this :)

Green Destiny

Listened to a few albums from the Blue Note box today (see below)
Now Playing:

Like a lot of the people here im a box-set freak and if I had to choose I would say this is one of the top 2 or 3 boxes in my collection - I think I like almost everything in this box and its a very handsome physical object too.
It seems to have gone OOP now and is selling for silly prices which is a shame but im pretty sure the individual albums are not at all rare :)

SimonNZ

^Its good to see Jackie McLean's One Step Beyond in there.

playing now:

McCoy Tyner - Sahara

Green Destiny

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 09, 2015, 11:18:02 PM
^Its good to see Jackie McLean's One Step Beyond in there.

Yes that's a good one - I played it just a couple of days ago :)

Now Playing:

Henk's post upstream reminded me about his album - Im not sure I listened to it a lot.
Ill give it a refresher listen now.

NikF

Gerry Mulligan Quartet: Pleyel Concert Vol. 2

[asin]B000007WAL[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

The Dave Brubeck Quartet: Anything Goes: The Dave Brubeck Quartet Plays Cole Porter.

[asin]B00000K277[/asin]

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Henk

Quote from: Artem on December 09, 2015, 08:36:21 PM
That is a great album.

Yeah, it is. Wasn't really interested in Dolphy till I saw him live playing on television with a Charles Mingus group. His appearance stroke me and I got his playing more. Still need to explore him more and listen more closely though to really connect.

Quote from: Green Destiny on December 09, 2015, 11:26:17 PM

Now Playing:

Henk's post upstream reminded me about his album - Im not sure I listened to it a lot.
Ill give it a refresher listen now.

Need to listen to that one also more closely. Could be one of the best jazz albums all time.

Artem

Quote from: Henk on December 10, 2015, 11:34:12 AM
Yeah, it is. Wasn't really interested in Dolphy till I saw him live playing on television with a Charles Mingus group. His appearance stroke me and I got his playing more. Still need to explore him more and listen more closely though to really connect.
Similarly, for me it was Mingus Live at Antibes album that made me appreciate Dolphy playing, followed by the Five Spot live recordings.

Green Destiny

Friday evening has come around again :)
Tonight listening:

Another one from the Atlantic Box - I plan to give The Inflated Tear a spin tonight too.

Henk

Quote from: Green Destiny on December 10, 2015, 11:52:22 PM
Friday evening has come around again :)
Tonight listening:

Another one from the Atlantic Box - I plan to give The Inflated Tear a spin tonight too.

That's a great one for blue posts as well! :)

Green Destiny

Quote from: Henk on December 11, 2015, 07:16:52 AM
That's a great one for blue posts as well! :)

Good idea - ill post it there soon :)
Edit: I see you posted it there already - thanks! :D

Green Destiny

Now Playing:

Another Jazzy kind of day!