What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

If you want to delve into Brubeck deeply, I'd really recommend getting whatever you can (and as much as possible) of the early Fantasy recordings with Desmond! They're an incredibly fine bunch and beat much of the more routine-like performances on Columbia (favourites there include some live albums, too ... there was hope the studio box would be followed by a live one but I don't hold my breath).

These contain material from various recordings (often not even fully documented, Fantasy was sloppy about that), some of it live (and in amazing quality for the era, 1950-54 roughly):

[asin]B000000XFI[/asin]
[asin]B000000XFK[/asin]

This is another live recording which I like even more than the aforementioned "At College of the Pacific" - Desmond is on fire here, burning as hot as the hottest bebopper ever would, no idea why but I'd like to hear the story behind (I'm sure there was one):

[asin]B0038M61KA[/asin]

As a bunch, these five discs are some of the very best Brubeck (and Desmond) there is, though the later rhythm section with Wright/Morello was on another level and allowing the music to take different directions ... but these early sides are so fresh and the chemistry between Brubeck and Desmond often verges on the magic!

As a word of warning: Fantasy seems to be selling CD-Rs in the US (I only ended up with one so far - ordered via aIT, actually)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Still the rains come down and it will likely freeze tonight.  A potent combo.  Much prefer these two other potent combos :

[asin]B0000046KH[/asin]

Bogey

Quote from: king ubu on December 27, 2015, 02:09:38 PM
If you want to delve into Brubeck deeply, I'd really recommend getting whatever you can (and as much as possible) of the early Fantasy recordings with Desmond! They're an incredibly fine bunch and beat much of the more routine-like performances on Columbia (favourites there include some live albums, too ... there was hope the studio box would be followed by a live one but I don't hold my breath).

Truth!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SimonNZ

That Michel Legrand disc reminded me that I want to watch The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg again.

But playing now, joining in the Brubeck love again:

Green Destiny

Quote from: king ubu on December 27, 2015, 02:09:38 PM

These contain material from various recordings (often not even fully documented, Fantasy was sloppy about that), some of it live (and in amazing quality for the era, 1950-54 roughly):

[asin]B000000XFI[/asin]
[asin]B000000XFK[/asin]

This is another live recording which I like even more than the aforementioned "At College of the Pacific" - Desmond is on fire here, burning as hot as the hottest bebopper ever would, no idea why but I'd like to hear the story behind (I'm sure there was one):

[asin]B0038M61KA[/asin]

As a bunch, these five discs are some of the very best Brubeck (and Desmond) there is, though the later rhythm section with Wright/Morello was on another level and allowing the music to take different directions ... but these early sides are so fresh and the chemistry between Brubeck and Desmond often verges on the magic!

As a word of warning: Fantasy seems to be selling CD-Rs in the US (I only ended up with one so far - ordered via aIT, actually)

Thanks for your detailed post - still deciding whether I need to get more Brubeck/other Jazz recordings at this stage but I appreciate your input :)

Green Destiny

king ubu

Quote from: Green Destiny on December 27, 2015, 09:59:40 PM
Thanks for your detailed post - still deciding whether I need to get more Brubeck/other Jazz recordings at this stage but I appreciate your input :)

Well, these three you need, let me tell you!  ;)

Seriously, no overlap between these and the Columbia box, and Desmond in those years was hardly ever coasting, he's really amazing on these early recordings!

Also, on a different side, the disc compiling (all? most?) of Brubeck's early trio sides on Fantasy, pre-accident, is pretty nice, too - those kinda Wagnerian solos young Brubeck used to play are pretty fascinating. He's the opposite of what "jazz" was supposed to be in so many ways and he always stuck to his ideas and ideals, it's quite amazing that he had such huge success.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 27, 2015, 06:07:22 PM
That Michel Legrand disc reminded me that I want to watch The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg again.

So glad you love that film, Simon.  Music and film both are outstanding, most moving. 

Edit: BTW, if you haven't seen Agnes Varda's The Gleaners and I, hesitate no more, please.

SimonNZ

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on December 28, 2015, 06:04:31 AM
So glad you love that film, Simon.  Music and film both are outstanding, most moving. 

Edit: BTW, if you haven't seen Agnes Varda's The Gleaners and I, hesitate no more, please.

I have seen The Gleaners And I, which was superb. But I'm missing the connection. Does that also use Legrand's music, which I didn't realise?

(actually come to think of it Varda's Cleo From 5 To 7 also uses his music, as well as having Legrand play himself as a character. Must see that one again as well)

edit: and while I'm thinking of it I may as well give this another spin, as I haven't heard it this millenium:

Miles Davis / Michel Legrand - Dingo soundtrack

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 28, 2015, 12:35:25 PM
I have seen The Gleaners And I, which was superb. But I'm missing the connection. Does that also use Legrand's music, which I didn't realise?

Agnès Varda is Jacques Demy's (the director of Umbrellas) widow.  Don't miss her Le Bonheur while you're at it! 

Green Destiny

king ubu

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on December 28, 2015, 04:17:00 PM
Agnès Varda is Jacques Demy's (the director of Umbrellas) widow.  Don't miss her Le Bonheur while you're at it!

*love* that one! Here's a great write-up about it, also stressing the importance of the music (Mozart mainly) in the film:
http://celluloidwickerman.com/2014/06/09/mozart-in-le-bonheur-1965-agnes-varda/

As for Demy ... have the big French DVD box here, but rarely ever watch DVDs at home. Have seen "Lola", "Les Parapluies" and "Les Demoiselles" on the big screen though, and that's always so much more fun! (Same with "Le Bonheur" btw - I rarely buy DVDs as I know it takes me ages to watch them, but that Demy box I just had to get)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Okay, you guys have talked me into it: I'll be getting Le Bonheur when I go to the video store tomorrow.

playing now:

Stanley Turrentine - The Spoiler (1966)

Charles Lloyd - Dream Weaver (1966)

featuring a 20 year old Keith Jarrett

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: king ubu on December 29, 2015, 12:59:58 AM
*love* that one! Here's a great write-up about it, also stressing the importance of the music (Mozart mainly) in the film:
http://celluloidwickerman.com/2014/06/09/mozart-in-le-bonheur-1965-agnes-varda/

As for Demy ... have the big French DVD box here, but rarely ever watch DVDs at home. Have seen "Lola", "Les Parapluies" and "Les Demoiselles" on the big screen though, and that's always so much more fun! (Same with "Le Bonheur" btw - I rarely buy DVDs as I know it takes me ages to watch them, but that Demy box I just had to get)

That was a superb article, thank you; I printed it out and added it to my Varda file. She will be 88 this year!  I know I will weep when she is gone, like I did for Rohmer.   

SimonNZ

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on December 29, 2015, 04:38:02 AM
That was a superb article, thank you; I printed it out and added it to my Varda file. She will be 88 this year!  I know I will weep when she is gone, like I did for Rohmer.  

My favorite director, as it happens. And a friend of mine has just this week agreed to a few viewing sessions where I introduce him to the Six Moral Tales.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: SimonNZ on December 29, 2015, 12:45:11 PM
My favorite director, as it happens. And a friend of mine has just this week agreed to a few viewing sessions where I introduce him to the Six Moral Tales.

We're in the wrong thread for this discussion, of course, but who knows, maybe it will do some good (ie, proselytizing) here!  I love him as well; prob. like his seasons series the best.  Funny thing is I've spoken to two French women and one Frenchman (college students) who knew him not. (bad) luck of the draw, maybe...but also made me wonder if perhaps they don't appreciate him as much as he is esteemed à l'étranger.  That's ok, they practically discovered Poe, Faulkner, et al. 

Green Destiny

Now playing:

Been listening to Giant Steps and Blue Train this week - great albums. The more I listen to solo Coltrane the more I like him :)

Green Destiny

SimonNZ

Kenny Drew - By Request (1985)

never mind the terrible cover - this is a superb disc

king ubu

first spin of some new arrivals - just completed:

[asin]B00QU4R44A[/asin]
vivid and energetic post-Coltrane jazz with Mine going into some free stuff, while Masabumi Kikuchi and Motohiko Hino keep a great Tyner/EJ groove

now:

[asin]B00MNPBBVM[/asin]

(edited as first pic wouldn't show with the link I'd picked)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!