What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 02, 2016, 05:36:36 AM
Great stuff, Joe! Do you enjoy Paul Desmond's solo recordings? Now, he's the epitome of Cool Jazz. 8)

I don't. But then I am not Joe either.  :P
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Bogey

From 1962:

From the International Jazz Festival, Columbian-La-Tour, Belgium.  Nat's sextet played to over 40,000 jazz fans that sat in the rain and mud and from the applause I can pick up, loved every note.  The first three songs are high level, but when the band breaks into track 4, Work Song, they hit a stride that is magical.  Worth getting the disc just for this alone.  Also, Yusef Lateef brings the oboe front and center for a crack at Trouble In Mind, an old blues number from 1924.  It's something not to miss.

Here is a link to Work Song from the album. Make sure both your hands are on the wheel when your listening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lukMc2WDFds
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Love the art work on this one.  I prefer Vol 2 to this album even though they are from the same concert/set.  Not sure how they broke up the two albums, but from what I can find the Vol. 2 (red cover, same artwork) is supposedly just songs they left off the first album, rather than the rest of the show.  I'm surprised that they have not gone back and created one release with the tracks in the order of how they were played.  Who knows, maybe nobody has a list of the playing order anyways, so they would just be guessing.  Either way, get both if you do not have them. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Moving into some of that retro lounge sound:

Was thrilled to finally find the this #3 to complete this run, as I believe there are only 4 in the "Persuasive Percussion" category. Great bongo sound on this one!

Bogey

Bogey

Fan of the Third Man Theme? Then track this one down. A nice dash of cha-cha-cha added to it!

SimonNZ

Kenny Drew - Jazz Impressions Of "Pal Joey"

Artem

Quote from: George on January 02, 2016, 07:08:09 AM
I was surprised to find out that IMO Time Further Out might be the better album of the two, musically.
I never bothered with Brubeck besides Time Out. Should I investigate? Are there any surprises in his discography or is it mostly the same as Time Out?

SimonNZ

Quote from: Artem on January 02, 2016, 05:58:04 PM
I never bothered with Brubeck besides Time Out. Should I investigate? Are there any surprises in his discography or is it mostly the same as Time Out?

Egad! The fame of Time Out has unjustly obscured a great many equally good or superior albums from Brubeck! Investigate!

Green Destiny

Brian

Quote from: Artem on January 02, 2016, 05:58:04 PM
I agree with George - Time Further Out is definitely an improvement on the original. Maybe even a very big improvement.

The best Brubeck Quartet stuff is live, though - At Carnegie Hall is my favorite, because they've grown so accustomed to the crazy time signatures that they can attack them with more confidence, verve, and speed. The difference between "Take Five" as recorded on Time Out and "Take Five" live at Carnegie Hall is like the difference between an orchestra's very first rehearsal and the second night of live concerts. Better tempo, better confidence, better ideas, bolder moves.

The only other studio Brubeck Quartet albums I like a lot are Countdown and the Southern-themed one. Those are Time Out-level quality.

Brian

Quote from: George on January 02, 2016, 07:09:53 AM
I don't. But then I am not Joe either.  :P
I really don't like Paul Desmond at all.  :( Great minds think alike?!

Quote from: Bogey on January 02, 2016, 07:48:45 AM
From 1962:

From the International Jazz Festival, Columbian-La-Tour, Belgium.  Nat's sextet played to over 40,000 jazz fans that sat in the rain and mud and from the applause I can pick up, loved every note.  The first three songs are high level, but when the band breaks into track 4, Work Song, they hit a stride that is magical.  Worth getting the disc just for this alone.  Also, Yusef Lateef brings the oboe front and center for a crack at Trouble In Mind, an old blues number from 1924.  It's something not to miss.

Here is a link to Work Song from the album. Make sure both your hands are on the wheel when your listening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lukMc2WDFds

Whoa! On to the shopping list!!

Green Destiny

SimonNZ

Billy Harper - Black Saint (1975)

Tony Williams - Civilization (1986)

NikF

Ellington - Jazz Party.

[asin]B00S5OSFF0[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: NikF on January 04, 2016, 07:36:07 AM
Ellington - Jazz Party.

[asin]B00S5OSFF0[/asin]

The Toot Suite is among the best Ellington. Unfortunately something's gone whacko with Amazon and the track samples belong to some other recording. Oh, well, still great stuff.

Here's a link to part 1 of the suite in case anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHOvV2Sx9Dw

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Brian

king ubu

before: Erich Kleinschuster Sextet & Karin Krog - Vienna 1968 (studio recording)
now: Karin Krog & Arild Andersen - Montreux 1972 (partial show, radio broadcast9
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

king ubu

Sheila Jordan (with Harvie S) - Graz, 1992-04-09 (radio broadcast)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

George

Quote from: Brian on January 04, 2016, 11:36:07 AM
This thread costs me so much money.

Haha!

Amazon should be paying Rob $1000 a month, just for keeping this site open.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure