What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Destiny

I don't mean to hog this thread - I am just very enthusiastic :)
Cant get enough of Jazz at the moment 8)
Tonight's Listening:

Playing this one for the second time today - great album!.
Friday night again - the sweetest listening night of the week.
Happy Friday's people :)

king ubu

playing more Bley - the one on top actually last night but I didn't mention it here yet:

[asin]B0000AB15G[/asin]

now these two:

[asin]B000004035[/asin]
[asin]B00000402G[/asin]
both from here:
[asin]B00DQF1YRE[/asin]
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

^That's making me want to dig out my copy of Not Two, Not One which was one of my favorite Bley discs (and also features Peacock prominently).

but playing now:

Green Destiny

Green Destiny

SimonNZ

Jackie McLean - New Wine In Old Bottles (1978)

Green Destiny

Enjoying these 2:

Nice and mellow - perfect for slothing around the house on a lazy Saturday :)

king ubu

waited over a month for my order (at a marketplace vendor's) to arrive, so straight into the player it goes:

[asin]B00004UD4Z[/asin]
contains the albums "The Sweet Life" (1972) and "The Cisco Kid" (1974)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

Claudio Fasoli (ts, ss), Kenny Wheeler (t, flh), Jean-François Jenny Clark (b) - wonderful album, rec. 1988

(be warned though, the Nueva NC 1002 edition, Milano, 1990, distr. Nuova Fonit Cetra, is bronzed and all three copies I have by now - the third from Mr. Fasoli himself - seem to be in slow decline, with the final tracks unplayable ... a friend helped me out with a burn of the Innowo/New Sound Planet version, that one distr. Novo Records ... weird, but that one seems to be okay indeed)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Bogey

From 1964 (but unreleased until 81(?) )

The title track (first track) makes you pay attention to what is coming out of your speakers due mainly to Art Blakey's drumming.  However, after this, the album falls into what I consider a fairly forgetful set of mediocrity.  Might have worked out better if Blakey would have been in charge of the whole thing.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

king ubu

some more Paul Bley ... stacked up a few of his fine Steeplechase trio albums a few years ago, when I wrote something about Bley ... and never really came around playing them all that often so far

[asin]B000027U1B[/asin]
[asin]B000027U3O[/asin]
[asin]B000027TZO[/asin]
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Bogey

Let me know when this one comes through, KU.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

king ubu

Quote from: Bogey on January 09, 2016, 06:35:12 AM

Let me know when this one comes through, KU.

I actually know that one already ... have had a rip for some years and seized the day when I saw the offer ... I love Wardell Gray, even spent 35 or 40 bucks on a special Japanese release of material by this very Goodman combo featuring him.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Bogey

Quote from: king ubu on January 09, 2016, 07:24:44 AM
I actually know that one already ... have had a rip for some years and seized the day when I saw the offer ... I love Wardell Gray, even spent 35 or 40 bucks on a special Japanese release of material by this very Goodman combo featuring him.

Just dumped in my wishlist.  I have some of Goodman's Yale recordings and love the bit more obscure live stuff from him, especially into the 50's and 60's.  Even though this is '48,would love to give it a go and net some initiation into Gray's sound.  Thanks!

king ubu

Quote from: Bogey on January 09, 2016, 07:39:14 AM
Just dumped in my wishlist.  I have some of Goodman's Yale recordings and love the bit more obscure live stuff from him, especially into the 50's and 60's.  Even though this is '48,would love to give it a go and net some initiation into Gray's sound.  Thanks!

Oh, I thought you knew it ... it's the small group Goodman co-led with young swedish clarinet player Stan Hasselgard and which features Gray as well. This was Goodman's short flirtation with bop (which can also be heard on the Capitol disc "Undercurrent Blues", Gray is there, too, on a few tracks, and there's of course the one track recorded with Fats Navarro as well). Gray was sort of a proto-mainstream guy, fitting with swing as well as with bop without having to alter his style in the least bit. I adore his playing be it in his own studio recordings or in rough jam sessions alongside Dexter Gordon and others. Very, very sad he died so early (and under what horrendous circumstances).

As for Goodman himself, I'm not that big a fan (I guess if I had to, I'd pick Artie Shaw) but I love his trio/quartet sides with Teddy Wilson/Gene Krupa and Lionel Hampton from the late thirties, and there's so much music in his long career that there are good things aplenty really - the Carnegie Hall concert 1938, these sides with Wardell Gray, the band he took to the USSR, the jam session with Count Basie and Lester Young ... I still need his Mosaic box though, I've got a cheapo box somewhere but it's so foogly I really never listen to anything from it.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Green Destiny

Green Destiny

SimonNZ

I'd forgotten what a big-name lineup this has:

Stan Getz – tenor saxophone
Chick Corea – electric piano
Stanley Clarke – bass
Airto Moreira – percussion
Tony Williams – drums

Green Destiny

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 09, 2016, 03:53:54 PM

I'd forgotten what a big-name lineup this has:

Stan Getz – tenor saxophone
Chick Corea – electric piano
Stanley Clarke – bass
Airto Moreira – percussion
Tony Williams – drums

That's an all-star lineup for sure! - what did you think of the album Simon?

Now playing:

Artem

Quote from: Green Destiny on January 09, 2016, 03:48:10 PM

Brilliant! 8)
That is a great album. I love Ike Quebec. He's nice and smooth but never boring.