What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

another one from the new arrivals:

[asin]B000P28UN2[/asin]
not quite sure yet what to make of the singing on about half of the tracks, but Curson is playing great, and Alain Jean-Marie is always a pleasure
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Green Destiny

Now playing:

Been listening to Coltrane a lot this week - love this album!

Green Destiny

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on January 14, 2016, 11:34:22 PM
Love Doug Watkins - and that two disc set is wonderful!

I'm not familiar with Doug Watkins. Which albums would you recommend?

playing now:

Donald Byrd - Byrd In Flight (1960)

Green Destiny

Afternoon listening - chewing on this set again:

I think I mentioned before that I don't like the Free Jazz album but I think I really like the others - Don't know if Id want to listen to Jazz like this all the time but its good for something different. Pretty inventive and fun music :)

Green Destiny

Now playing:

Another one from the Atlantic Jazz box.
Cant say I have paid close attention to this album before - pretty good though (and nothing like Weather Report!) :)

king ubu

bootleg alert, but if you don't hunt rare old vinyl, there's no other way to go and the music's pretty essential:

[asin]B000PFU7X0[/asin]
originally on LP as The Fabulous Paul Bley Quintet (America) and Coleman Classics Vol. 1 (IAI - that's Bley's label), a terrific early document of Ornette's music that is testament as well to Paul Bley's great ears and supreme musicality
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

desert island stuff:

[asin]B000025WLT[/asin]
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Green Destiny

Quote from: king ubu on January 16, 2016, 02:35:58 AM
bootleg alert, but if you don't hunt rare old vinyl, there's no other way to go and the music's pretty essential:

[asin]B000PFU7X0[/asin]
originally on LP as The Fabulous Paul Bley Quintet (America) and Coleman Classics Vol. 1 (IAI - that's Bley's label), a terrific early document of Ornette's music that is testament as well to Paul Bley's great ears and supreme musicality

Thanks - this one looks interesting but its a bit too expensive for me at the moment so I will have to pass on it :-[

Green Destiny

Green Destiny

This afternoon:

Very strange record - I can handle listening to individual tracks every now and then for something a little bit different.

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on January 15, 2016, 05:49:46 PM
I'm not familiar with Doug Watkins. Which albums would you recommend?

He died young in an accident, but it was him whom Mingus chose to play bass when he made his piano/vocals album ("Oh Yeah", Atlantic) - that's probably as close as you can get to real knighthood (not like all those "Sirs" that crowd the british classical scene  ;)).

Anyway, his other leader album, "Soulnik", is different, more chamber jazz like, cello and flute ... it's nice but I don't feel it does him justice.

As he's "just" the bass player on other folks' albums most of the time, it's not that easy to recommend anything, but he was part of the original Jazz Messengers, along with Kenny Dorham, Hank Mobley, Horace Silver and Art Blakey, and whatever he made with these guys is easily recommended! The perfect starting point would be "Horace Silver & The Jazz Messengers" (initially two 10" LPs, later compiled for 12" and CD) the two discs from Cafe Bohemia as well as the follow-up studio album on Columbia, "The Jazz Messengers" (with Donald Byrd in for KD - this is part of the recent Blakey box released by Sony, just in case, there's more good music in there, although I'd say other than that, none of the albums is essential Blakey, quite, but none of them is bad or half-bad, either).

The group also recorded in various slighlty altered combinations, first as a quartet without Dorham for Mobley's debut session on Blue Note (it was a 10", too bad it wasn't regularly coupled with the two Silver 10"s mentioned above! I have it in the Mosaic box of Mobley's fifties Blue Note sessions), later on with Milt Jackson instead of trumpet ("Hank Mobley & His All Stars" - desert island stuff!), "Hank Mobley Quintet" (w/Art Farmer on trumpet). These are all mighty fine (all on the Mosaic box). Watkins is also on the related Mobley/Lee Morgan Savoy sessions (there's an not-quite-complete two-disc set called "The Birth of Hard Bop").

Besides the one Byrd/Watkins album on the Transition two-disc set, there's yet another one on "Introducing Kenny Burrell" (again in Blue Note's Connoisseur Series, likely OOP, the session isn't prime stuff but nice, you get Burrell with Mobley, Silver, Watkins and Louis Hayes on drums, who was Silver's quintets drummer as he and Blakey split ... Silver kept the band - Byrd/Mobley/Waktins - while Blakey kept the name "Jazz Messengers", which he had used many years earlier for unrelated sessions already) and later on was on "Candy" by Morgan, with Sonny Clark and Art Taylor (trumpet quartet's were quite rare back then).

With Silver, there's some more ... Louis Hayes, as I mentioned was the new drummer after the Silver/Blakey split, Watkins didn't stay that long, but he's on "Six Pieces of Silver", which is mighty good.

Further notable sidemen recordings included various of those loose jams Prestige did with Gene Ammons, but also several albums by Ammons that are more organized, notably "The Boss Tenor" (one of his best) and "Jug" (a personal favorite), work with Pepper Adams, more albums with Donald Byrd (including those made in Paris with Belgian tenor Bobby Jaspar), sessions with Coltrane (my favourite is probably "The Cats", Watkins is great there, but the session with Coltrane, Frank Wess and Paul Quinichette is wonderful, too). He was also at one time part of Red Garland's trio (different topic, I guess - long series of Prestige albums and more, most in trio, I'd start with "Red Garland's Piano" but that one has Paul Chambers), he's on a couple of early Jackie McLean sessions on Prestige ("Lights Out" with Elmo Hope is worth hearing! but they're all if you like JMac),

One finally, one more favourite and stone classic is "Saxophone Colossus" by Sonny Rollins! (Watkins is on more by Rollins, but if it's going to be one, it's that one ... and the Village Vanguard stuff on Blue Note, which has Wilbur Ware - another can of worms ...)

thread duty:

[asin]B001H7F5BO[/asin]
Paul Bley Quintet - Barrage (ESP-Disk')
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Wow. Thanks for the overview. I'll check some of those out.

I didn't realise he was on Saxophone Colossus. Looking into that I see he's also on Newk's Time, which might be my favorite Rollins album. I'll have to play both again and pay more attention to the bass.

king ubu

I vastly prefer "Saxophone Colossus" (it's amongst my three or four Rollins' favourites), but "Newk's Time" is good, too.

Now playing disc one of this:

[asin]B007C7FBIA[/asin]
contains a 1963 Don Cherry session (with Joe Scianni, David Izenzon and J.C. Moses, as well as a Paul Bley session with Izenzon and Paul Motian (1964), and some interviews with Sanders, Cherry and Bley
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

revisiting two more by Bley:

[asin]B0012OQZVG[/asin]
solos, as well as duos and trios with Hans Koch (various clarinets and saxophones) and Franz Koglmann (trumpet), rec. 1990

and:

[asin]B0044ZQ8SA[/asin]
with Koglmann again, as well as Peacock (rec. 1992) - who was the husband of the Annette in question, right before she teamed up with Paul Bley ... this is an hommage to Annette Peacock of course, the great composer and enigmatic performer
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Bogey

I am like a kid at a gumball machine with a pocket full of quarters when it comes to crime jazz or tv/movie jazz.  This one might be my all time best find in the record bins.  The old adage of not judging a book by its cover definitely applies here. Fantastic, I mean, FANTASTIC tv jazz here. These are not the title themes to the shows listed, but rather the background music played during the shows. Tracks like "Forever Frantic" just sizzle and coolness kicks in with the likes of "Beatnik".

Here are the two mentioned above.  Enjoy, Daddy'O:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWzmRc3UZDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vklojEv2TIw

By the way, Space Age Pop Music says about this record that : It's as rare as an honest man in Congress, but worth spending a few years scrounging for.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

James

Action is the only truth

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Terrific film and the music is no less.

[asin]B002H3ETXW[/asin]

aligreto

I bought this in a charity shop recently. It was not quite what I expected so I will re-donate it soon.

Bogey

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on January 18, 2016, 07:32:09 AM
Terrific film and the music is no less.

[asin]B002H3ETXW[/asin]

With a nod to Kind of Blue and Plugged Nickel, this just might be my favorite Miles album.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz