What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

I have really been getting into Norwegian jazz recently, and highly recommend these two. The Iro Haarla is a masterpiece of beautiful, expressive melody, while the Henriksen, is extremely inventive, unusual, and otherworldly.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Green Destiny

Now playing:

Up next:

It's a public holiday today in Australia - plan to celebrate by relaxing at home with some nice Jazz music :)

Artem

Very nice live recording from a great period for Coltrane. The first disk is a standout for me in this 2 disk set.

[asin]B000000XI6[/asin]

Green Destiny

king ubu

since my last post here:

Claudio Fasoli - The Brooklyn Option (Musica Jazz)

A very good date with a simpatico band including Ralph Alessi whose trumpet blends very nicely with Fasoli's sax - released with italian magazine Musica Jazz and kindly sent to me by Mr. Fasoli himself, as a gift!

Martial Solal - Nothing But Piano (MPS)

Nothing but ... understatement of the year! This is everything! Ridiculously good playing by one of the very few true heirs to Art Tatum.

Martial Solal/Lee Konitz/John Scofield/Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen - Four Keys (MPS)

This one's pretty fine as well ... guess I prefer Konitz/Solal in duo (on Horo or Hat) or quartet with b/d (the two albums reissued by CAM Jazz, the Juan-les-Pins set on Steeplechase ...), but this is very nice indeed and Sco's playing comes as a surprise: he uses very little of his usual effects, playing quite straight, actually reminded me a bit of Jim Hall here and there. Don't get me wrong, I do like Sco's gruff later recordings (mostly those with Joe Lovano), but he's not my favourite guitar player (those would be, let me think ... Grant Green, Kenny Burrell, Jimmy Raney, Jim Hall, René Thomas ... also Wes Montgomery, Tal Farlow, Billy Bauer, Barney Kessel, Oscar Moore ... and of course Django Reinhardt, and Charlie Christian! and I guess I have forgotten a couple of others ...)

Johnny Griffin - The Congregation (Blue Note)

A top favourite in my house ... Griffin's solo on the title track is one of my favourites, too!

And this morning, played some tracks by/with Paul Bley (including some Jimmy Giuffre, George Russell, and the fabulous "All the Things You Are" from "Sonny Meets Hawk", with Bley's essential solo)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

James

Action is the only truth

SimonNZ

Mirror Image

Now:

Chet Baker, for me, is one of the greatest jazz trumpeters of all-time. Such a lyrical approach to the instrument. He never tries to overreach himself in terms of technical proficiency. He always plays what is essential to the music and leaves the blowing sessions to other musicians.

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 29, 2016, 04:47:11 PM
Now:

Chet Baker, for me, is one of the greatest jazz trumpeters of all-time. Such a lyrical approach to the instrument. He never tries to overreach himself in terms of technical proficiency. He always plays what is essential to the music and leaves the blowing sessions to other musicians.

Thanks for your comments, just downloaded it and will listen before going to sleep.
'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

SimonNZ

That's made me put this favorite on for another listen:

Artem

Coincidently, I've been listening to this CD tonight. Getz is more prominent here, but Baker's sound is very nice. I like his later recordings in Europe a lot.

[asin]B00003ZA5Y[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on January 30, 2016, 12:18:21 PM
Thanks for your comments, just downloaded it and will listen before going to sleep.

I'm one of those people who doesn't like Chet Baker's singing and have cautiously avoided albums with his vocals. Thankfully, he's done a lot of non-vocal jazz and In New York is one of those albums.

SimonNZ

Its a very limited voice, to be sure. But he picks his songs carefully, not just for his range, but also for the sincerity he seems (to me at least) to bring and  to the ultimate bittersweetness he seems to reveal in what would elsewhere be either up or down.

playing now:

Archie Shepp - Yasmina, A Black Woman (1969)

James

Action is the only truth

SimonNZ

Apologies to MI, but I'm in the mood this morning for some more of Chet singing:

Chet Baker - It Could Happen To You (1958)

later:

Joe Pass - Eximious (1982)

later still:

Archie Shepp - Four For Trane (1964)

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Bogey

Post your thoughts as soon as you can, buddy.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SimonNZ

George

Quote from: Bogey on February 01, 2016, 06:21:14 PM
Post your thoughts as soon as you can, buddy.

Listened to about half of CD 01. The music is as good as the sound is bad. ;D

I hear the original CD issue (with the black cover) sounds even worse!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure