What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

lately:

[asin]B002OCA002[/asin]
another new arrival from Oliva, reuniting the trio that made "Novembre" almost 20 years earlier

[asin]B00004GJVQ[/asin]
[asin]B00004VFL9[/asin]
[asin]B0002Y4TRO[/asin]
[asin]B00GN5IZRQ[/asin]
[asin]B0000CDL61[/asin]
exploring the 1967 and 1968 sessions mostly, playing them up and down and down and up ... but more casually also some later ones that will be listened to in-depth soon as well

[asin]B00000JPNI[/asin]
[asin]B0000047B7[/asin]
discs 7-9 from the Kirk box, minus "Rip, Rig & Panic" - that is: a fun singles session, "Gifts and Messages", "I Talk with the Spirits", "Slightly Latin"
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

king ubu

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Jim Snidero - Blue Afternoon (1989)

king ubu

lately:

[asin]B000000YR8[/asin]
[asin]B001AXFRJU[/asin]
[asin]B000009QKD[/asin]
[asin]B0002KQO0I[/asin]
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on March 02, 2016, 01:46:53 AM

[asin]B0002KQO0I[/asin]

I remember the first time I heard "Tanya" from One Flight Up the same way - the same vividness the same youthful excitement - that I remember the first time I heard Kind Of Blue.

George

Quote from: George on February 01, 2016, 06:07:17 PM

First spin.

Quote from: Bogey on February 01, 2016, 06:21:14 PM
Post your thoughts as soon as you can, buddy.

Having finished this three CD set, the other day, I feel compelled to backup my earlier comment about the sound. While the sound is certainly far from ideal, it is, as they say, serviceable. I heard recently that for this material, this mastering is as good as it gets, sound-wise. And the music is as superb as it's reputation claims.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Buddy Rich - Swingin New Big Band (1966)

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 02, 2016, 01:52:17 AM
I remember the first time I heard "Tanya" from One Flight Up the same way - the same vividness the same youthful excitement - that I remember the first time I heard Kind Of Blue.
Ha, I'm one of those that KoB didn't hit right away ... took me quite a while really. "Workin'", "Bags Groove" (and the entire Miles/Bags/Monk date), "Walkin'", "Milestones", Cannonball's "Somethin' Else" - that stuff worked for me right away, KoB didn't. Probably thirteen-years-old me wasn't ready for that kind of solemn music quite yet.

Same, some years later, with "One Flight Up". My favourites remain "Doin' Alright" and "Our Man in Paris", followed by "Go" and "A Swingin' Affair", but nowadays, "One Flight Up" is up there, too. It's a whole different animal than KoB, although it may be Dexter's one modal jazz album - anyway, when I first heard it it sounded somewhat messy/lacking focus to me. But that was nearly 20 years back, when I got the (then) new box with his complete sixties Blue Note sessions.

This morning, on the commute:

and then the first tracks from this:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Ray Brown - Soular Energy (1984)

Elvin Jones - Live At The Village Vanguard (1974)

Anthony Braxton - For Alto (1970)

June Christy - Something Cool (1955)

Wynton Marsalis - J Mood (1986)

Mel Torme - Swings Shubert Alley (1960)

Shelly Manne - At The Black Hawk, Vol.3 (1959)

Eberhard Weber - Yellow Fields (1976)

James Blood Ulmer - Odyssey (1983)

Cecil Taylor - For Olim (1986)

SimonNZ

Still no one else? Starting a new post, rather than editing the above for the tenth time:

Jimmy Rushing - Rushing Lullabies (1960)

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: SimonNZ on March 05, 2016, 12:51:54 PM
Still no one else? Starting a new post, rather than editing the above for the tenth time:

I know how you feel - if no one else is participating I kind of feel like im spamming the thread too :-[ - don't think youre really doing anything wrong though. Im reading all your postings so please continue :)

king ubu

I'd prefer you doing new posts each time as it shows on the start page and would make me check in more often, too ... since my previous post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4ZLvqXFddu0

Clifford Jordan, Cedar Walton, Sam Jones & Billy Higgins - live in Oslo, 1975:
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/jazz-i-munch-museet/FMUS20005075/18-07-1975#

The McLean I played from the Mosaic box collecting his great 1964-66 Blue Note sessions ... and in addition to the things mentioned, also some African music by the Funkees, by Mahmoud Ahmed, and the second (Congolais Rumba) set of the "Golden Afrique" series of 2CD sets

The Harriott started today's listening, the ones after it have all just arrived and are my first 2016 jazz new releases ... the Fire one is great, the Truffaz good fun but not exactly all that deep (the main drawing point to me was the presence of Rokia Traoré), the Smith is pretty good but sounds a bit too tidy for my tastes, as far as organ jazz is concerned

Tomorrow, I'm off for Warsaw for five days of Peter Brötzmann:
http://pardontotu.pl/?event=5-nights-with-peter-brotzmann-75th-birthday-anniversary&event_date=2016-03-06
Looking forward immensely!

This afternoon, I also watched a tv recording of his early seventies trio with Fred Van Hove and Han Bennink and then Last Exit from the mid eighties (Sonny Sharrock, Bill Laswell, Ronald Shannon Jackson) - our kitten loved the big when Bennink was playing "trumpet" through a long hose with a funnel at the end, which he kept swirling through the air at the same time ... good kitten, but I wouldn't dare bringing it to Poland, it's half black ... either way, political circumstances notwithstanding, I'm sure it's a good place that Brötzmann will play at and I'm also certain that it's a good thing to support such cultural initiatives, even more so in such dark times as Poland seems to slip in head over heel right now (I'm all for catholic tastes, but not for catholic antisemitism and rightist xenophobism, not to use the n-word ...).

After that, I also had a 2001 Archie Shepp recording going on mostly in the background while packing my stuff - with Amina Claudine Myers, Wayne Dockery and Ronnie Burrage ... not too mcuh a fan of late Shepp, but this was quite alright.

Now listening to the Five Spot 1961 live recordings by Eric Dolphy with Booker Little, Mal Waldron, Richard Davis and Ed Blackwell, a favourite recording of mine for aroudn 20 years by now ... to be found in its entirety on discs 6-8 of this wonderful box:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Ben Webster - Music For Loving (1955)

Chris Connor - s/t (1956)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Autumn Leaves on March 05, 2016, 01:00:39 PM
I know how you feel - if no one else is participating I kind of feel like im spamming the thread too :-[ - don't think youre really doing anything wrong though. Im reading all your postings so please continue :)

No, please don't stop posting, guys! This is the first thread I read every time I come to GMG!! And even though I haven't been listening to much jazz lately it never leaves my affections. I enjoy all of the posts!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on March 05, 2016, 06:25:53 PM
No, please don't stop posting, guys! This is the first thread I read every time I come to GMG!! And even though I haven't been listening to much jazz lately it never leaves my affections. I enjoy all of the posts!

Yeah I enjoy all the postings too so the more the merrier I say.
If I was to make a complaint about serial posting it would be that I don't think its necessary to keep posting the same album over and over again (like we need a track by track update or something) but that is certainly not the case here.

SimonNZ

king ubu

Starting the day with a full (78 min) CDR of Cal Tjader's earliest recordings, compiled by a friend who's into Tjader bigtime - he made cover art with all the info and dubbed this "Vol. 1: Trios 1951 - Quartets 1953-54 - Sideman dates". This is fun stuff, and some (or most) of it unknown to me otherwise. The material is culled from four Galaxy 78s (later on Fantasy 10" LP 3-9), from two Savoy singles (later compiled on an EP) as well as an EP. The sidemen dates are culled from more Galaxy/Fantasy sides (three titles, with Vido Musso among others), two 4 Star (with Nich Esposito on guitar) and one Fentone 78 (Charles "Mingus" Mingus Presents His Symphonic Airs - this can of course be found on the great Uptown CD dedicated to all of' Mingus' early sides, recorded in LA in the forties for Fentone, 4 Star, Excelsior and other long forgotten labels, some of which's catalogues were acquired by Uptown in order to be able to release that disc full of fun music and with an amazing booklet).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Bogey

Quote from: king ubu on March 05, 2016, 10:44:44 PM

Starting the day with a full (78 min) CDR of Cal Tjader's earliest recordings, compiled by a friend who's into Tjader bigtime - he made cover art with all the info and dubbed this "Vol. 1: Trios 1951 - Quartets 1953-54 - Sideman dates". This is fun stuff, and some (or most) of it unknown to me otherwise. The material is culled from four Galaxy 78s (later on Fantasy 10" LP 3-9), from two Savoy singles (later compiled on an EP) as well as an EP. The sidemen dates are culled from more Galaxy/Fantasy sides (three titles, with Vido Musso among others), two 4 Star (with Nich Esposito on guitar) and one Fentone 78 (Charles "Mingus" Mingus Presents His Symphonic Airs - this can of course be found on the great Uptown CD dedicated to all of' Mingus' early sides, recorded in LA in the forties for Fentone, 4 Star, Excelsior and other long forgotten labels, some of which's catalogues were acquired by Uptown in order to be able to release that disc full of fun music and with an amazing booklet).

That looks fantastic.  If you have a chance, can you dig up any youtube links that have a track or two from these recordings for me.  Would love to hear it.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

James

Action is the only truth

SimonNZ