What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Suitable music for a Friday evening; Count Basie....

SimonNZ

Jimmy Raney - In Three Attitudes (1956)

HIPster

Starlicker - Double Demon

[asin]B004QVMTJ4[/asin]

Superb small group improvisations (cornet, vibes, drums).

Rob Mazurek (cornet), John Herndon (percussion), and Jason Adasiewicz (vibraphone) are deeply rooted in the Chicago and international avant garde, jazz and post-rock scenes. Starlicker expel sound with pervading energy and other-worldly delicacy. Mazurek leads, composes for and performs with the critically acclaimed Exploding Star Orchestra, Chicago Underground, Smarcho Paulo Underground, and Sound Is Quintet. Herndon, of the post rock collective Tortoise, creates waves of rhythm and maintains an abstract pulse uniquely his own. Adasiewicz is a Chicago mainstay and Down Beat magazine rising star, and plays in his own Sun Rooms Trio, Exploding Star Orchestra, Rolldown, and Loose Assembly.
Review
Chosen as one of the 10 Best Jazz Albums of 2011! The cornetist Rob Mazurek, the vibraphonist Jason Adasiewicz and the drummer John Herndon make up this trio, steeped in ecstatic free improvisation and the dynamics of experimental rock. Their cohesion, intense and unforced, comes across with articulate bluntness. --Nate Chinen, NY Times, December 2011

Top Ten Jazz of 2011 pick! A high octane Chicago trio featuring Tortoise drummer John Herndon, Exploding Star Orchestra cornetist Rob Mazurek and vibraphone powerhouse Jason Adasiewicz (who released the excellent Spacer with his own ensemble this fall), this recording takes the vibraphone trio into a new orbit with a relentless drive toward invention. --Chris Barton, LA Times, December 2011
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

kishnevi

First listen.
[asin]B003Y01JT4[/asin]
Already have his newest CD (on ECM)
Based on these two,  I will probably be getting the intervening pair (Treveni II and Dark Nights).

Found about him via a mention here on GMG.  Do not remember who it was but I do owe them a thank you.

SimonNZ

Stanley Turrentine / Oliver Nelson - Joyride (1965)

McCoy Tyner - Sahara (1972)

king ubu

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

king ubu

music from Ethiopia (Vols. 2 and 3 of the great "Éthiopiques" series on Buda Musique) most of the afternoon - and now this:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

^Haven't played Science Fiction in a while - will try to put it on later.

But right now:

Gary Burton - Common Ground (2011)

Autumn Leaves

SimonNZ

McCoy Tyner - Fly With The Wind (1976)

king ubu

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Kenny Barron - Green Chimneys (1983)

king ubu

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Artem

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 03, 2016, 01:21:58 AM

Kenny Barron - Green Chimneys (1983)

I'm curious about the Criss Cross label? Does anybody have any favorite releases from this label?

SimonNZ

^That may have been the first one I've heard (and was very impressed by), so I'd also be interested in recommendations others may be able to give.

playing now:

Gary Burton - Guided Tour (2013)

Bogey

If you dig Hugo, (well, I guess if you're here, I cannot imagine you do not) be sure to put this gem on your wishlist. Plenty of jazzy numbers such as Ellington's A Train all with heavy doses of bongos throughout!

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

More Hugo listening. T.H.R.U.S.H. agents, beware!

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SimonNZ

SimonNZ

McCoy Tyner - Atlantis (1975)

Woody Shaw In My Own Sweet Way (1989)