What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Egberto Gismonti - Zig Zag (1995)

Brian

king ubu

Quote from: Brian on May 12, 2016, 06:21:57 AM
On my shopping list - first impressions?
Most beautiful version of "Some Other Time" at the end of disc one ... had that on repeat for a while before proceeding with disc two. Impression: it's a wonderful addition to the huge Evans catalogue, particularly in light of this trio only having one other album out (the live one from Montreux on Verve). The music has a cautious feel, as if they're really careful with things, kind of feeling their way through it - but it's lovely indeed and that tentative quality makes it seem even more precious really.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Spineur

SimonNZ

Marc Johnson - The Sound Of Summer Running (1998)

king ubu

as Carla Bley, he's just celebrating his 80th birthday ... I have no use at all for his later jazz rock band "Passport" (way too polished and hardly anything that really catches me) - played some of disc four (some sideman cuts but mostly some great live rarities) of this very fine set, now some of the Red Norvo trio with Mingus and Farlow from this (some of it is a bit too sweet I find, but the best of it is amazing):

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

HIPster

Spiritual Unity

[asin]B0009298UW[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

SimonNZ

HIPster

Planetary Unknown

[asin]B004Z18HR8[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Mirror Image

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 12, 2016, 02:36:24 PM

Marc Johnson - The Sound Of Summer Running (1998)

The only recording session where Pat Metheny and Bill Frisell are playing opposite of each other. Pretty good album.

Interesting factoid: Metheny was responsible for getting Frisell his first gig with Paul Motian.

king ubu

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

HIPster

Quote from: king ubu on May 14, 2016, 06:43:41 AM

Hi king ubu, looks very cool!  Wow.  How's the sound quality on this?

BTW - in addition to your jazz postings in this thread ( always excellent!  :)), I have been following your recent 17th and 18th century vocal recital postings with great interest.  Many thanks.
Wise words from Que:

Artem

Not the best Evans cd. It feels like he wanted to get out of the recording studio as fast as possible. He's really banging through most of the tunes here. 3 out of 5 stars.[asin]B009K6GLF8[/asin]

king ubu

Quote from: HIPster on May 14, 2016, 07:06:48 AM
Hi king ubu, looks very cool!  Wow.  How's the sound quality on this?

BTW - in addition to your jazz postings in this thread ( always excellent!  :)), I have been following your recent 17th and 18th century vocal recital postings with great interest.  Many thanks.
I have phases where I just *need* that kind of vocal music ... guess I'm in the middle of one of them right now. (And I just bought a pile of Glossa and Atma releases ... also some Onyx vocal discs (one each by Amanda Roocroft and, and several by Christiane Stotijn) with later repertoire. I need to dig deeper there, love Schubert but again don't know that much yet, and need to dig into Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Schumann, and Wolf songs, too. And the entire French repertoire. And R. Strauss. And Berg, Webern ... have heard bit of all of it, but the days are just too short.

This Basie set is a bootleg/public domain reissue of some older series of releases (several LPs on Phontastic), which probably have been hard to come by for a long time (I wasn't even awre of their existence). I got into disc two, sound is fine and the music is wonderful! This is the NT band before some key members started leaving the ship (Joe Newman, Al Grey, Billy Mitchell), and it's in excellent playing mood - truly a joy to hear! Here's a short post about it:
http://www.jazzwax.com/2014/01/count-on-the-coast-basie-58.html
For me, up to around 1959 or 1960, NT Basie is a safe bet (I still prefer anything with Lester Young on board, but then it's kinda pointless to compare), after that, there's still plenty of fine msuic, but I don't feel the urge to have it all on my shelves (for one, do yourself a favour and get "Basie Meets Bond" on United Artists if you can, it was officially reissued by Capitol/EMI/Blue Note at some time, and it's a truly burning date - some mean Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis on it!)

As for listening, I guess I'll go on with Basie tomorrow again, when I can blast it loudly ... so no proper thread duty here  :)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves

That Coltrane record sure was nice - my Jazz listening is a bit sporadic I guess but I will listen to some more albums:

king ubu

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Pat Metheny - Speaking Of Now (2002)

Autumn Leaves

Now playing:

listening to this one again - great album!