What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Michael Garrick - A Lady in Waiting (1994)
John Stetch - Green Grove (1999)

The Feel Trio ‎– Celebrated Blazons (1994)
Joe McPhee - As Serious As Your Life (1996)

Lee Konitz - Satori (1975)

Kontrapunctus

I just received this disc--wow! The musicians are practically in the room with me! My only quibble is that the piano and drums are panned hard left/right--if each have recorded in stereo and equally spread lt/rt, then the sound would be a bit more spacious, but it still sounds remarkably good in this SACD remastered version.

SimonNZ

^The over-wide stereo seperation on some late 50s Prestige and Blue Note albums can on occasion annoy me to the point of reducing my enjoyment of an otherwise excellent album - particularly so here at work, where with the added issue of bad speaker placement some have to be stopped because they just sound wrong.

playing now:

Rene Marie - Vertigo (2001)

George

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on June 15, 2016, 12:57:29 PM
I just received this disc--wow! The musicians are practically in the room with me! My only quibble is that the piano and drums are panned hard left/right--if each have recorded in stereo and equally spread lt/rt, then the sound would be a bit more spacious, but it still sounds remarkably good in this SACD remastered version.

Thanks for reporting! I have my eye on that CD. Amazon still lists theirs as "usually ships in 1 to 3 weeks."  :(
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: George on June 15, 2016, 02:05:41 PM
Thanks for reporting! I have my eye on that CD. Amazon still lists theirs as "usually ships in 1 to 3 weeks."  :(
I bought mine from a seller on Discogs for less than 1/2 the Amazon price, and he shipped the same day!!

George

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on June 15, 2016, 02:21:39 PM
I bought mine from a seller on Discogs for less than 1/2 the Amazon price, and he shipped the same day!!

Wow!! Nice grab!

Kontrapunctus

I'm a jazz newbie, so can someone recommend some contemporary artists similar to Miles Davis both in style and instrumentation--also recorded in audiophile sound? Thanks.

George

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on June 15, 2016, 03:27:22 PM
I'm a jazz newbie, so can someone recommend some contemporary artists similar to Miles Davis both in style and instrumentation--also recorded in audiophile sound? Thanks.

Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby - analogue productions - gold CD

Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard - XRCD

Any of the Coltrane albums on DCC

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: George on June 15, 2016, 04:12:30 PM
Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby - analogue productions - gold CD

Any of the Coltrane albums on DCC

Thanks, but aren't they rather old recordings, too? I meant recent recordings, preferably SACD.

George

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on June 15, 2016, 04:42:12 PM
Thanks, but aren't they rather old recordings, too? I meant recent recordings, preferably SACD.

Sorry, I am not into new stuff and I don't have a SACD player.

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: George on June 15, 2016, 04:50:03 PM
Sorry, I am not into new stuff and I don't have a SACD player.

ECM would do in a pinch!  ;)

Artem

I'd add Chet Baker, but I'm not sure there're many audiophile CDs of his music out there, although there're plenty or regular CDs.

Spineur

Quote from: George on June 15, 2016, 04:12:30 PM

I have this one.  Lots of multiple takes.  Not my favorite Bill Evans, but still a nice listen.

king ubu

Quote from: Spineur on June 15, 2016, 08:43:36 PM
I have this one.  Lots of multiple takes.  Not my favorite Bill Evans, but still a nice listen.
You need the 3CD box (K2 remaster) in session/recording order ... best edition there is (and there's vinyl of it, too):
https://www.discogs.com/de/Bill-Evans-The-Complete-Village-Vanguard-Recordings-1961/release/5144833
The programming of the old CDs is annoying indeed!

Thread duty:

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Brian

Rounding out the afternoon with one of my favorite piano solos ever.

http://www.youtube.com/v/O7D3TGk2rhw

SimonNZ

Conte Candoli - Conte Candoli Quartet (1957)

George

Quote from: king ubu on June 16, 2016, 11:07:17 AM
You need the 3CD box (K2 remaster) in session/recording order ... best edition there is (and there's vinyl of it, too):
https://www.discogs.com/de/Bill-Evans-The-Complete-Village-Vanguard-Recordings-1961/release/5144833
The programming of the old CDs is annoying indeed!

Best programming of the sessions perhaps, but it is not the best sounding mastering for this special music. Not by a long shot. The Complete set you cited was mastered using some (unnecessary) dynamic compression. Even the original OJC CDs sound better than the Complete set.

SimonNZ

Chris Connor - The George Gershwin Almanac Of Song (rec.1957)
Jane Ira Bloom - The Nearness (1995)

Brian

First listen to this one:

Featuring the amazing song title "Stanley's Stiff Chickens"

SimonNZ

Noah Howard - The Black Ark (1973)
Lee Konitz / Martial Solal - Star Eyes: Hamburg 1983