What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

The Dave Brubeck Quartet: Time Further Out.

[asin]B000025SPM[/asin]

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SimonNZ

Oregon - Distant Hills (1973)
Howard Riley - Duality (1982)

George Russell - Jazz In The Space Age (1960)
Mike Westbrook - The Cortège (1983)

Chris Connor - Sings Lullabys For Lovers (1954)

Brian

This remains an obscure rarity...

...despite the always-scintillating presence of one "John" Griffin on tenor sax!

This might be the only album ever where THREE musicians are listed on the cover under their less-familiar alternate names.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

HIPster

Plymouth

[asin]B00J364HCE[/asin]

Joe Morris - guitar
Mary Halvorson - guitar
Jamie Saft - keys
Chris Lightcap - bass
Gerald Cleaver - drums
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

kishnevi

Landed today, first hearing. Does not disappoint
[asin]B01B66GREY[/asin]
The label, btw, is part of Harmonia Mundi.

HIPster

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 24, 2016, 05:34:07 PM
Landed today, first hearing. Does not disappoint
[asin]B01B66GREY[/asin]
The label, btw, is part of Harmonia Mundi.

Nice, Jeffrey.  He is a wonderful bass player.

Added to the wishlist.   ;)
Wise words from Que:

HIPster

Tomeka Reid Quartet

[asin]B013D10GQA[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

SimonNZ

HIPster

Kicking off the Holiday weekend with some wine and an old favorite ~

Keith Jarrett Trio - The Cure

[asin]B000025WLQ[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

SimonNZ

Abbey Lincoln - Straight Ahead (1961)
Max Roach - The Max Roach 4 Plays Charlie Parker (1959)

HIPster

Oracle - Gary Peacock & Ralph Towner

[asin]B000024C70[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

HIPster

Fred Anderson/Hamid Drake - From the River to the Ocean

[asin]B000NQR7N4[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Dancing Divertimentian

Ellington meets Coleman Hawkins. An entertaining session, on the lightish side. Hawkins sounds as if he's played with Ellington all his life, and his distinctive timbre is a pleasure.

[asin]B000VS6ONS[/asin]
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

NikF

Joe Pass: Eximous.

[asin]B00004SAZL[/asin]

Joe Pass: For Django.

[asin]B00000I44J[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Brian

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 03, 2016, 09:39:46 PM
Ellington meets Coleman Hawkins. An entertaining session, on the lightish side. Hawkins sounds as if he's played with Ellington all his life, and his distinctive timbre is a pleasure.
One of my all-time favorites there - maybe "lightish" but just so freaking charming, and they're clearly having a blast. Love the opening mambo, in which Hawk appears last because he reportedly wandered into the studio while they were playing.

king ubu

Same here - love that one dearly! Hawkins was on a roll (the last one, really) in 1962, his band with Tommy Flanagan, Major Holley and Eddie Locke recorded another magnificient album for Impulse (and more elsewhere) ... and the way he so easily and naturally blends in with a prime group of Ellingtonians is just wonderful. Also love the one track where Ray Nance switches to violin, but I really love the entire album!

Playing this one, bought from Hazel Miller in Ravenna, two weeks ago,during the two nights with Louis Moholo:

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Brian on July 05, 2016, 09:28:15 AM
One of my all-time favorites there - maybe "lightish" but just so freaking charming, and they're clearly having a blast.

Yes, for sure. There's a definite sense of "good buds just hanging out and making great sounds" in these sessions.

QuoteLove the opening mambo, in which Hawk appears last because he reportedly wandered into the studio while they were playing.

Great story! :) Overall Hawkins's timbre really adds another dimension to the "Duke sound". I'd really like to have heard more from this combination!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: king ubu on July 05, 2016, 12:33:10 PM
Same here - love that one dearly! Hawkins was on a roll (the last one, really) in 1962, his band with Tommy Flanagan, Major Holley and Eddie Locke recorded another magnificient album for Impulse (and more elsewhere) ... and the way he so easily and naturally blends in with a prime group of Ellingtonians is just wonderful. Also love the one track where Ray Nance switches to violin, but I really love the entire album!

More +1.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz