What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Duke Ellington: Live at The Blue Note.

[asin]B000005GX4[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Bogey

I'll see your Ellington and raise you....

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

NikF

Quote from: Bogey on July 07, 2016, 02:49:20 AM
I'll see your Ellington and raise you....

That's at a perfect height to volley back

Duke Ellington: Jazz Party.

[asin]B00S5OSFF0[/asin]
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

HIPster

In a Ducal mood ~

[asin]B0000C8AOZ[/asin]

8)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

SimonNZ

Margaret Whiting - Sings For The Starry Eyed (1956)

king ubu

Chris McGregor ... started last night with:

Then, today, so far - just the Bremen 1971 portion from the "Bremen to Bridgewater" set, so far:

lined-up next is (the amazing concert from the 1971 Berlin Jazz festival):

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

king ubu

continuation of the long McGregor/BoB day:

a broadcast that's in circulation includes some more material from the Bremen 1973 gig on "Travelling Somewhere" - messy stuff, but highly enjoyable ... the Willisau from a few days later is a classic, of course

now the 1975 Bridgwater material on the former ... and the later, from Toulouse 1977, has started to really grow on me, it seems - as with the Willisau, the CD version is expanded to include a well-rounded lengthy set of great music

ending the day now on a more quiet note:

this was his first again official performance in ZA, 23 years after he chose exile - wonderful playing!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

king ubu

Love this trio, wish I had more of their recordings ... this one is a recent acquisition, directly from the great Polish label NotTwo. Borgman and Morris both have one of the most stunning sound on their instrument, and Charles is yet another favourite of mine - that light touch that never gets lightweight, light even when he's stomping - gotta love it!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

Returning to Chris McGregor and South African jazz ... now the Blue Notes box, released by Ogun in 2008:

Disc one contains a Durban concert from 1964, from just before their departure to Europe (and exile) with Nick Moyake's wonderful tenor making the group a sextet (it was Ronnie Beer that took the trip, but he left shortly thereafter, moving to Ibiza and working as a ship-builder, it seems) ...

The second set is two discs, titled "Blue Notes for Mongezi", dedicated to the group's trumpet player Mongezi Feza - Mongs was the first to leave this planet, in 1975, and this tribute was recorded spontaneously in a rehearsal room by the remaining four Blue Notes (Dudu Pukwana on alto, Chris McGregor on piano, Johnny Dyani on bass, Louis Moholo on drums) - the music was partly released on Ogun 1976, but the two-disc version is virtually complete (the session went on for three and a half hours, without any words being exchanged - just music).

Third comes "Blue Notes in Concert", originally subtitled Vol. 1, but no follow-up was ever released. Again, the LP version (from 1978) was expanded for the CD version of this 1977 recording from London's 100 Club. We still hear the quartet here.

The fourth and last set pays tribute to the second Blue Note to leave planet earth, "Blue Notes for Johnny", and features the trio of Pukwana, Dyani and Moholo, recorded in 1987. The CD version contains a few (rather shortish) bonus tracks.

The next departures, then, were the final blow: in 1990, both McGregor (in May) and Pukwana (in June) die. That was the end of the Blue Notes ... yet Bra Louis is still going strong - and it was an immense pleasure hearing him (again) on two nights in Ravenna, a few weeks ago!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Andante

OK, is it Jazz? well it is Jazzy and I just love this artist Zaz aka Isabelle Geffroy, I think it is nearer to Jazz than other genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp3G50jBRuU   
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

king ubu

Still with Blue Notes for Mongezi - this is enormously fascinating stuff, deep, angry, sad, aggressive, tender - over two and a half hours, split into four segments (there's actually only one split, after 78 minutes, when the reel had to be changed, and that's where you have to change CD, too, then it goes on for another 78).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

After the Mongs tribute, I started on a Harry Miller detour - which has Louis Moholo throughout ... and as much as I love The Blue Notes, purely as a rhythm section, Miller/Moholo, for me, are extremely hard to beat! That free swing is just amazing, the way they drive the music as hard as it gets, yet keep things wide open at the same time.

first only the 1973 portion, the rest later on - great disc!

from the Harry Miller Collection on Ogun

November 1975, live from Bremen - smoking hot stuff!

a compilation of mostly studio tracks from 1975-77 (with some more Feza on the first two cuts, after that, alas, it's Mark Charig ... he's mighty fine, but Mongs' wonderfully puckish, playful yet forceful, unique voice is missed!), to cap things off, there's one live track from 1976

after that, the Chateauvallon set from the first disc depicted above (from 1976) fits in nicely ... then on with the Ogun album by Isipingo, that wonderful band ... recorded live as well, same line-up as Chateauvallon (Charig, Malcolm Griffiths, Mike Osborne, Keith Tippetts, Miller, Moholo):

then on we go with more from the Ogun Miller set, the first recorded 1977 in duo with Radu Malfatti (who played with the Brotherhood at that time):

by then, I guess it'll be soccer/dinner break (allez les bleus!) - and then the day shall end, probably, with the fourth album from the Ogun set, recorded in January 1978 with Willem Breuker and Trevor Watts on various reeds, Keith Tippett, Miller/Moholo and the voice of Julie Tippetts:

there's one more that would round up the proceedings, let's see if the heat will keep me awake:

this is the brand new follow-up to the one depicted on top, starting out with a great track from 1978 with Bernie Holland's free-flying guitar (and Trevor Watts & Alan Wakeman on reeds plus Miller/Moholo), then continuing with three tracks each from 1978 (Watts, Wakeman, Tippett, Miller, Moholo) and 1982 (Dave Holdsworth, Alan Tomlinson, Watts, Miller, Moholo)

Some great music on all of these albums ... what a great bass player he was, Harry Miller!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Ella Fitzgerald - At The Opera House (1958)

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

NikF

king ubu

The Blue Notes in Concert (100 Club, London, 16 April 1977 - Dudu Pukwana, Chris McGregor, Johnny Dyani, Louis Moholo)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Glenn Spearman - Smokehouse (1993)
Annette Peacock - I'm The One (1972)

king ubu

"I'm The One" is effin' fantastic!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

yesterday:

Two live documents from 1979, the first one with Frank Wright replacing an indisposed McGregor ... it's intense and loud and free, yet melodic and concise ... Dyani/Moholo are wonderful, Dudu picks up from there, while Wright kinda waits and then jumps in with all his blistering, thundering might. The second one has the group in its regular guise again, a few days later ... and is even better, I think, with a long and incredible version of "Funk Dem Dudu" toward the end.

now (and yeah, it has to be that big this one time! just look at it):

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!