What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

That "Duo en noir" is great indeed! (But I tend to disagree ... while I love a good atmosphere during a concert, those morons that keep talking should step outside ... I've had talks with musicians and it seems most don't enjoy that at all - this is part of the jazz myth, I guess, which always includes a somewhat degrading view of jazz as "entertainment" and not really serious enough that you ought to shut up and pay attention. But then I guess this all - including the discussion about it - is part of jazz' history, so ...)

Before, a pretty noisy one:

Now, one I dearly love, ever since I first played it:

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

SimonNZ

Quote from: king ubu on July 17, 2016, 04:57:46 AM
That "Duo en noir" is great indeed! (But I tend to disagree ... while I love a good atmosphere during a concert, those morons that keep talking should step outside ... I've had talks with musicians and it seems most don't enjoy that at all - this is part of the jazz myth, I guess, which always includes a somewhat degrading view of jazz as "entertainment" and not really serious enough that you ought to shut up and pay attention. But then I guess this all - including the discussion about it - is part of jazz' history, so ...)

Oh, I'd hate it if I was actually there, but I find it facinating on a cd where its a quieter part of the background detail and provides a sense of the venue, not right in my ear from the next tables and obscuring the music.

Sometimes its even kind of surreal and funny: The Miles Davis Plugged Nickel box has a clearly indifferent yakking and drinking audience, and you're left to wonder if they're not going to pay attention to the Second Quintet, and to these performances, then who will they?

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on July 17, 2016, 01:52:50 PM
Oh, I'd hate it if I was actually there, but I find it facinating on a cd where its a quieter part of the background detail and provides a sense of the venue, not right in my ear from the next tables and obscuring the music.

Sometimes its even kind of surreal and funny: The Miles Davis Plugged Nickel box has a clearly indifferent yakking and drinking audience, and you're left to wonder if they're not going to pay attention to the Second Quintet then who will they?

Okay, I see your point! And re: Plugged Nickel - the music on that box is so amazing, it's really hard to believe that there were folks not getting it and chatting on ... I'd probably be silent for three days after such a night - and then I'd be yakking away for three other days  ;D

Ending the weekend with some smooth stuff by a favourite tenor saxophone player now:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

I remember commenting on another forum that one fascinating and unique aspect of the  complete Plugged Nickel set is observing how a band overcomes fatigue brought on at least partially by audience indifference and the obligation to play older material - hearing them start out each tune as if saying "here we go with Walkin' again" and whip themselves into greater excitement and inspiration in the face of these external factors (only to be undermined again and again by the most scattered of applause).

playing now:

Ella Fitzgerald - Live At Mister Kelly's (rec.1958)

^Lots of fun on this one! New and humourous lyrics all over the place, a completely forgotten "Joe Williams Blues" that includes bits of dozens of other songs all without missing a beat or breaking a sweat, a "Summertime" with ironical commentary about how easy the living is this particular summertime, etc. Recommended.

Mike Westbrook - Fine 'n Yellow (2010)
The Vandermark 5 - Airports For Light (2003)

aligreto

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on July 14, 2016, 07:59:09 AM
Earlier: Duke Ellington's New Orleans Suite....

Wonderful! Love that album.

king ubu

Yeah! Johnny Hodges' last chorus ... sad, poignant, beautiful.

Late Ellington is often so much better than it's usually given credit for.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

Rhoda Scott, and now Keith "Garage" Jarrett - Mr. Hippie tells you to crank it up loud, good thing: you won't hear coughing and shuffling this time  :P

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

another new arrival, which had been on my shopping list for quite a while ... very good!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Mirror Image

Now:

One of my favorites from Lloyd. Great support from musicians like Mehldau, Abercrombie, and Higgins.

SimonNZ

Steve Harris and Zaum - Above Our Heads the Sky Splits Open (2004)
Lauren Newton - Filigree (1999)

David Murray - Creole (1998)
Terell Stafford - Centripetal Force (1997)

aligreto

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on July 22, 2016, 12:02:38 PM
Ellington: Three Suites -

Great album. One of my favorites from The Duke.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 19, 2016, 03:43:11 PM
Now:

One of my favorites from Lloyd. Great support from musicians like Mehldau, Abercrombie, and Higgins.

Ever heard Big Sur Tapestry by Charles Lloyd? I heard it on Rise, the late night/early morning jazz show on KPFK (HELL A area) a couple months ago. Lovely, fascinating music, with some Eastern music influences and instruments (don't remember what). It is only available on LP, and I just received it in the mail today (from Amazon marketplace seller). Can't wait to give it a spin!
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

SimonNZ

David Murray - Sweet Lovely (1980)
Jean-Michel Pilc - Live At Iridium, New York (2005)

Wynton Marsalis - Live At The Village Vanguard, disc one (1999)
Wynton Marsalis - Black Codes From The Underground (1985)

Mirror Image

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on July 22, 2016, 09:15:40 PM
Ever heard Big Sur Tapestry by Charles Lloyd? I heard it on Rise, the late night/early morning jazz show on KPFK (HELL A area) a couple months ago. Lovely, fascinating music, with some Eastern music influences and instruments (don't remember what). It is only available on LP, and I just received it in the mail today (from Amazon marketplace seller). Can't wait to give it a spin!

Very cool. Nope, never heard that piece. I'm mostly familiar with Lloyd's ECM output from the 90s and early 00s. My favorite Lloyd album is Voice in the Night with John Abercrombie, Dave Holland, and Billy Higgins. One of the great sessions.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Thanks--I added it to my wishlist along with The Water is Wide. I love the ECM label, and have been really enjoying some of their more recent Nordic jazz offerings--Iro Haarla, Mathias Eick, Trygve Seim, and such. I will enjoy exploring more of Lloyd's recordings.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Recent acquisition: Red Garland Revisited!

Mirror Image

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on July 23, 2016, 08:57:45 PM
Thanks--I added it to my wishlist along with The Water is Wide. I love the ECM label, and have been really enjoying some of their more recent Nordic jazz offerings--Iro Haarla, Mathias Eick, Trygve Seim, and such. I will enjoy exploring more of Lloyd's recordings.

Yes, ECM is a wonderful label. Love Mathias Eick! His album Skala impressed me greatly. I also enjoyed his, and Trygve Selm's, work on the Manu Katche album Playground. Check that album out if you have haven't already. Also, LOVE Tomasz Stanko. His album Suspended Night is in my 'Top 10' desert island jazz albums list. Enjoy those Lloyd albums (whenever you decide to take the plunge).

XB-70 Valkyrie

Yes, thanks Skala is on my wishlist. For some reason this type of music is especially enjoyable in late autumn and winter when I have a month off for self-actualization (spent mostly on deserted Northern California beaches with my wife).

You should really listen to Vepsers by Iro Haala, featuring both Eick and Seim, playing Iro's sublimely beautiful ballads, with her accompanying on piano or harp.