What Jazz are you listening to now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, June 12, 2015, 06:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on July 23, 2016, 09:22:33 PM
Yes, thanks Skala is on my wishlist. For some reason this type of music is especially enjoyable in late autumn and winter when I have a month off for self-actualization (spent mostly on deserted Northern California beaches with my wife).

You should really listen to Vepsers by Iro Haala, featuring both Eick and Seim, playing Iro's sublimely beautiful ballads, with her accompanying on piano or harp.

Thanks, but I believe I own Haarla's Vespers already (along with her other album on ECM Northbound). Good stuff the best I can remember. Yeah, I can certainly hear how this Nordic jazz stuff can be great during that particular time of year.

SimonNZ

Toshiko Akiyoshi / Lew Tabackin - Insights (1978)
Don Cherry - Eternal Rhythm (1969)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SimonNZ

Flora Purim - Butterfly Dreams (1974)
Larry Coryell - Spaces (1971)

HIPster

Ben Monder - Amorphae

[asin]B0142XHVX4[/asin]

Ben Monder: electric guitar, electric baritone guitar
Pete Rende: synthesizer
Andrew Cyrille: drums, percussion
Paul Motian: drums

Guitarist Ben Monder first recorded for ECM as a member of the Paul Motian Band on Garden of Eden in 2004, and Amorphae was originally conceived as a series of duets for Ben and Paul. A first exploratory duo session was recorded in 2010. After Motians death the following year it was decided to expand and complete the project with another highly influential and innovative drummer, Andrew Cyrille, adding also Pete Rende on synthesizer on two pieces.

So here we hear Monder solo, in duo with Motian, in duo with Cyrille, and in trio with Cyrille and Rende. This range of expressive options casts light upon Monders musical concepts and their adaptability. A guitarists guitarist, Monder is also a master of texture and unusual voicings, creating what one reviewer has called detailed sonic landscapes of mystery and power.

All the music on Amorphae is his, apart from, Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin, the Rodgers & Hammerstein chestnut from the musical Oklahoma!, performed here by Monder and Motian.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

SimonNZ

Louis Sclavis - Clarinettes (1985)
Tommy Smith - Forbidden Fruit (2005)

David Murray - The Hill (1987)
Wynton Marsalis - Live At The Village Vanguard, disc two

SimonNZ

Phil Woods - Live From The Showboat (1977)
Rich Halley - Mountains and Plains (2005)

Joe Harriott / John Mayer - Indo Jazz Fusions (1967)
Gerry Hemingway - Waltzes, Two-Steps and Other Matters Of The Heart (1999)

Ella Fitzgerald - Ella In Hollywood (1961)

king ubu

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

toledobass

George

toledobass

I got turned on to this recently. Never knew Getz played ANY Shorter so was surprised to hear it.

https://youtu.be/4MTB-eqyk9o

George

Quote from: toledobass on August 04, 2016, 03:42:59 PM
I got turned on to this recently. Never knew Getz played ANY Shorter so was surprised to hear it.

https://youtu.be/4MTB-eqyk9o

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

toledobass

SimonNZ

Sarah Vaughan - Live At Mr Kelly's (1957)

there must be something in the water at Mr Kelly's that makes singers forget the lyrics (but leaves them happy to improvise)

toledobass

I love that recording!

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 04, 2016, 04:03:47 PM

Sarah Vaughan - Live At Mr Kelly's (1957)

there must be something in the water at Mr Kelly's that makes singers forget the lyrics (but leaves them happy to improvise)

George

NikF

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SimonNZ

Art Pepper - Saturday Night At The Village Vanguard (1977)
Bobby Hutcherson - In The Vanguard (1987)

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: NikF on August 06, 2016, 07:32:28 AM
Joe Pass - Ira, George And Joe.

The greatest jazz guitarist ever, IMO. I will have to check out this disk. I would heartily recommend Northsea Nights with Niels Hening Orsted Pedersen.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

king ubu

This is so very good! Remember not really getting into the first two of the four albums back in the day, but what did I know about J. Giuffre/P. Bley/C. Bley/A. Peacock and their Beckett jazz, looking for "non-events" back then? I would have probably pretended to adore "Godot" and "Fin den partie" (though I think that would have only been a few years later, at that time I was rather avidly reading Camus) - but you know how teenagers are, right?

Anyway, played the first album thrice in a row last night, went on with the second one then, to which I return now.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/