Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

king ubu

Next one from the Mosaic Select, and another excellent album, this time with trombone (but no flute) - the horns are Oscar Brashear (he's terrific!), Thurman Green and, for the last time, longtime sidekick Harold Land (he's terrific all the time anyway) ... these albums are mighty fine indeed, more after grooves and a unified band sound than the great solo, but there's plenty of those, too. An unjustly neglected chapter of Hutcherson's long Blue Note career - one that's definitely worth hearing!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

king ubu

Continuing with Hutcherson ... albums 3 to 5 (of 5) on the Mosaic Select are built around his then working band of Manny Boyd (ts, ss, fl), Hutcherson (vib, mar), James Leary III (b) and Eddie Marshall (d) - that's the four above on the cover of the fine album, which adds George Cables (keys) and Kenneth Nash (perc), and on the title track Hadley Caliman and Mguanda Dave Johnson on flutes. The second one has Larry Nash on keys in addition to the core band, and is a moody affair of mostly ballads, including some haunting Hutcherson originals (among them "Same Shit", which for some odd reason had to be named "Same Shame").

Beautiful music in ugly covers, alas ... which is true for the fifth of the albums, "Knucklebean", which adds Freddie Hubbard, Hadley Caliman and Cables to the working band.

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Spineur

The kind of easy listening that suits me perfectly this evening

[asin]B00M0R86GQ[/asin]

Spineur

Dancing Divertimentian

I think I'll climb on board the Hutcherson love train, a little later in his career:

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

SimonNZ

Bobby Hutcherson - For Sentimental Reasons (2007)

NikF

Fred Astaire: Complete Norman Granz Sessions.

[asin]B00076SFX6[/asin]

The 1952 re-recordings Fred made with Oscar Peterson, Charlie Shavers, Ray Brown, Kessel etc. Glorious mono, a fairly close mic on the vocal, warm and intimate and moments of surprisingly swinging charm.

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on August 06, 2016, 11:42:26 PM
The greatest jazz guitarist ever, IMO. I will have to check out this disk. I would heartily recommend Northsea Nights with Niels Hening Orsted Pedersen.

Sorry, man - I've been away from the internet for a while and so I didn't see this reply.
Yeah, Joe's great and he's probably my favourite player too. I have a copy of the Northsea Nights and it's indeed very cool. In fact, it's one of those gigs (like some of the Ella stuff Simon has been listening to/posting) that I'd love to have been there for.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

SimonNZ

Count Basie - The Complete Decca Recordings, disc one

George

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 20, 2016, 02:36:30 PM

Count Basie - The Complete Decca Recordings, disc one

How's the sound on that? I have read they used some excessive noise reduction.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

HIPster

Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue

[asin]B00005UOKM[/asin]

One of my favorite Blue Note's.

RIP
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

SimonNZ

Toots Thielemans - Only Trust Your Heart (1988)

RIP

SimonNZ

Quote from: George on August 21, 2016, 09:55:04 AM
How's the sound on that? I have read they used some excessive noise reduction.

Sorry, missed this. The sound seened very good to me, but then I've never been a Basie collector, and only a too-seldom listener, so I don't have a clear memory of other issues I may have heard.

now:

Brotzmann/Van Hove/Bennin - Balls (1970)

king ubu

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 22, 2016, 10:36:25 PM
Sorry, missed this. The sound seened very good to me, but then I've never been a Basie collector, and only a too-seldom listener, so I don't have a clear memory of other issues I may have heard.

The material forms part now of the new (second) Lester Young/Count Basie set by Mosaic - I don't have it yet, but it seems it sounds good (probably as good it gets):
http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=263-MD-CD
It's already on backorder, guess that's a good sign. Will definitely get it, even though I probably have almost everything that's on it. Loren Schoenberg has written the notes, and it's really hard to imagine someone more apt for that job.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

SimonNZ

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Prepare Thyself To Deal With A Miracle (1973)
Roy Haynes - Out of the Afternoon (1962)

SimonNZ

Lester Young and Teddy Wilson - Pres and Teddy (1959)

Brian

Quote from: SimonNZ on August 25, 2016, 06:14:12 PM

Lester Young and Teddy Wilson - Pres and Teddy (1959)
Never heard of this album before but wow do I need it.

Discovering jazz is like being set loose in a sweet shop...

SimonNZ

Another giant of the jazz world gone...

RIP Rudy Van Gelder

Looking now through the massive list of albums he produced/engineered/recorded and just what a large percentage of those are classic/essential sessions is dizzying.

This appears to be his first, and I'm playing it now:

Gil Melle - New Faces, New Sounds (1953)

http://dgmono.com/rvg-discography/