Allan Holdsworth

Started by James, June 12, 2015, 06:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Beginning with his 1982 release, I.O.U. , Holdsworth introduced an otherworldly chordal style that relied on tightly- clustered intervals and expansive voicings that was previously unheard of. His instructional book, Reaching for the Uncommon Chord, is essential food for any guitarist looking to move beyond the norm.

[asin]0634070029[/asin]
Action is the only truth

ibanezmonster

So I had a very long dream last night that I discovered Allan Holdsworth was 8'9". That would make him the third tallest person in recorded history.

I looked up his actual height and there's no info...

ibanezmonster

My favorite "Holdsworth."

https://www.youtube.com/v/f_zUweqyDZ4

>:D

Plenty of Holdsworth that I've enjoyed, not much that I remember until I listen to it enough times.
Tokyo Dream is always some great stuff.  8)

https://www.youtube.com/v/j9xOomYyLI8

Henk

Exploring some Holdsworth. Just downloaded Metal Fatigue.

Scion7

Quote from: Henk on October 26, 2015, 12:09:56 PM
Exploring some Holdsworth.

Try to find the first TEMPEST album (the one with Gorgon, etc, on it) - the quintessential Holdsworth record.  Addtionally, the first U.K. album and BRUFORD's 'One of a Kind.'
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

James

Quote from: Henk on October 26, 2015, 12:09:56 PM
Exploring some Holdsworth. Just downloaded Metal Fatigue.

That album has some of his best .. i.e. (Devil Take the Hindmost, Home), and feat. great playing by all involved.

Check out Tony William's Believe It! (the best of the early pre-solo career feat. his own composition Fred, that he stretches out on brilliantly .. and something that he still plays live to this day! .. it offers a true precursor into what he is about musically); all of the solo albums with the exception of Velvet Darkness (not intended for release, he wish he hadn't) are worth having to get a complete view at his advanced conception, true voice, evolution .. they all feature great playing & compositions, earth-shattering solos .. if that is too daunting (or pricey) then get your feet wet with the excellent Against the Clock - The Best of Allan Holdsworth (a compilation put together & mixed by Allan himself .. ) ..

The early rock 'n' roll effort like Tempest, or even U.K. & Bruford are completely underwhelming in comparison to his more electric jazz oriented material, it's because he's put into an easier context (much of which, isn't him) .. they don't even begin to scratch the surface of what Allan's own musical vision is about which he continued to grow, evolve and refine. One must dig into the solo career in order to really get to know him as an artist, it's this truly unique body of work .. that made him world famous within the electric jazz & electric guitar communities more than all else. So much good & inspirational stuff there, even genius.
Action is the only truth

Scion7

Henk, you know that's utter rubbish.  :-)  All his pre-solo stuff is better than the solo albums.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

James

Quote from: Scion7 on November 28, 2015, 05:10:03 PM
Henk, you know that's utter rubbish.  :-)  All his pre-solo stuff is better than the solo albums.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - you simply don't know Allan then, you're missing out. For Allan's music (aka, the solo stuff) your ears aren't up to the task. The fact that you called his solo music 'aimless' earlier, says it all really. You couldn't be more wrong.
Action is the only truth

Scion7

You're entitled to your OPINION, because that's all it is.
I was there, man.

Dig it.

James

Quote from: Scion7 on November 29, 2015, 04:10:31 AM
I was there, man.

Dig it.

I do dig Allan's music, so much more than you realize. You might have attended a few shows back in the day but obviously Allan moved on and left people like you in the dust. Again, to call his own music 'aimless', says it all. You just don't hear it and probably never will. And that's fine, many people don't.
Action is the only truth

Scion7

Uh-huh.

As we've tried to get across to you before, ye must a-learn to livith in a wide world that doesn't adhere to thy values.

Keep this up and sooner or later that brain aneurism that's been on the brink - teetering ever so keenly on the edge - will hit you and down you'll go a-tumblin'.

James

Quote from: Scion7 on November 29, 2015, 05:07:12 AM
Uh-huh.

I take it (your reply), because others out there don't hear it .. that this is you basically accepting the fact that you don't hear it and never will.
Action is the only truth

Scion7

I take it that you don't get it that your opinion is only your opinion and not "THE TRUTH" - (tick-tick-tick - that's that aneurism coming closer).

James

Quote from: Scion7 on November 29, 2015, 06:34:54 AM
I take it that you don't get it that your opinion is only your opinion and not "THE TRUTH" - (tick-tick-tick - that's that aneurism coming closer).

No aneurism pal, I'm absolutely confident in what I'm saying and hearing, it is fairly obvious & widely known what I have been saying too .. I'm just trying to make you understand, but you're set in your ways and pigheaded about it. It's a matter of listening & learning. What I have been stating is the truth, it holds up .. you're just uninformed and haven't dug deep enough to understand. And you don't have to take my word for it - you can always hunt down or ask Allan himself which is more representative & complete of his musical vision. He'll give you the straight answer. Just because you hear it as 'aimless' doesn't mean that is so, or that what I'm saying which is contrary to your hollow conjecture is a mere opinion. It's not, do your homework.
Action is the only truth

Scion7

Pigheaded because I totally disagree with you? HA HA HA HA HA.

I've said it before, and I 'll say it again - you're balmey, mate!

James

Quote from: Scion7 on November 30, 2015, 03:00:10 AM
Pigheaded because I totally disagree with you? HA HA HA HA HA.

Nah, pigheaded because you're unwilling to get to know Allan's own music. I have nothing to do with it, just a messenger.
Action is the only truth

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on December 06, 2015, 05:29:16 AM
Nah, pigheaded because you're unwilling to get to know Allan's own music. I have nothing to do with it, just a messenger.

Yeah and you know everything don't you, James? You're the great and powerful Oz! ::)

Scion7

" I AM JAMES - KNEEL BEFORE ME! "

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scion7 on December 06, 2015, 10:31:59 AM
" I AM JAMES - KNEEL BEFORE ME! "

"I....ahhh....tremble in your presence, Master Oz."