Six favourite unknown symphonies

Started by vandermolen, June 12, 2015, 10:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveF

Quote from: Skogwald on March 09, 2023, 05:42:10 AMI have to try every symphony from this thread!

Here are two absolute masterpieces of Post-Sibelius Finnish music that should be more widely known:

Leevi Madetoja - Symphony 3
Joonas Kokkonen - Symphony 4

Agreed that the Kokkonen is a splendid piece - even though I haven't listened to it for years, the though of the ending of the scherzo still makes the hair stand on end.  So, based on your recommendation, I must hear the Madetoja.

(And I hope your Haydn piano trios are the CPO series by the Trio 1790 - excellent.)
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Skogwald

Quote from: DaveF on March 09, 2023, 05:55:34 AM(And I hope your Haydn piano trios are the CPO series by the Trio 1790 - excellent.)

I mainly listen to Van Swieten Trio but I agree that Trio 1790 are also brilliant!

vandermolen

Quote from: Karl Tirebiter Henning on March 05, 2023, 03:45:51 PMI'm alive to the fact that many GMG'ers can easily "out-obscure" me, so I list these with an "if these even count as unknown" disclaimer.

Antheil, Jazz Symphony.
Louis Andriessen, Symphony for Open Strings.
Hovhaness, Symphony for Metal Orchestra.
Malipiero, Sinfonia in uno tempo.
Arnold Rosner, Symphony № 5 (Missa sine cantoribus)
Stefan Wolpe, Symphony
I had a nice email exchange with Rosner not long before he sadly passed away.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).