Top 5 Favourite non-Planets Holst Works

Started by Christo, June 14, 2015, 03:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

I missed the fact that we could choose a favorite "planet". In that case, I'd probably have to go with Uranus, though I love them all.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Time to revive this slumbering thread  ;D

OK, here goes:

First Choral Symphony (definitely my favourite Holst work, Boult recording)
The Perfect Fool (ballet music)
Egdon Heath (Boult recording)
Beni Mora (Sargent recording)
The Cloud Messenger

+ Saturn from 'The Planets' (Steinberg recording)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 11, 2021, 05:16:41 AM
Time to revive this slumbering thread  ;D

OK, here goes:

First Choral Symphony (definitely my favourite Holst work, Boult recording)
The Perfect Fool (ballet music)
Egdon Heath (Boult recording)
Beni Mora (Sargent recording)
The Cloud Messenger

+ Saturn from 'The Planets' (Steinberg recording)

Let's see if I can make one, Jeffrey. In no particular order:

The Hymn of Jesus
Egdon Heath
Japanese Suite
Military Suites Nos. 1 & 2

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2021, 06:56:29 PM
Let's see if I can make one, Jeffrey. In no particular order:

The Hymn of Jesus
Egdon Heath
Japanese Suite
Military Suites Nos. 1 & 2

Very nice! (as you would say John  :))
I must listen to the Japanese Suite again. I also like the Military Band Suites.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 11, 2021, 11:31:22 PM
Very nice! (as you would say John  :))
I must listen to the Japanese Suite again. I also like the Military Band Suites.

8) I have to be careful when listening to the Japanese Suite, because there is a movement titled Dance of the Marionette that is one huge earworm and will pester me for the rest of the day. :) And I'm sure I'll pester other people as well with incessant humming. :P

Symphonic Addict

Beni Mora (Oriental Suite)
Egdon Heath
Indra
Choral Symphony
Ballet Suite

Favorite planet: Saturn
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 14, 2021, 01:02:17 PM
Beni Mora (Oriental Suite)
Egdon Heath
Indra
Choral Symphony
Ballet Suite

Favorite planet: Saturn
I don't know 'Indra'  :o
The others are all favourites - do you mean 'The Perfect Fool Ballet Music' Cesar?

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on May 16, 2021, 12:14:33 AM
I don't know 'Indra'  :o
The others are all favourites - do you mean 'The Perfect Fool Ballet Music' Cesar?

Indra is a sort of little-known tone poem, Jeffrey. It contains fine and colourful music.

Just relistened to it and it's much better than I thought! A vibrant work. You can't miss it, Jeffrey!

The Ballet Suite is actually Suite de Ballet, Op. 10, and it can be found on this CD:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

(First) Choral Symphony
The Cloud Messenger
Ballet music from The Perfect Fool (the whole opera is on YT, must give it a listen)
Indra
Beni Mora

All exceedingly fine and colorful works that deserve wider exposure. I rarely include Holst amongst my favorite composers but I think that is somehow due to the fact that he wrote few works in major forms (symphonies, concerti, chamber works, etc) rather than anything else. Anytime I listen to a work of his I'm struck by his sheer imagination and originality. Definitely a singular voice amongst British composers. 
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 19, 2021, 08:35:13 AM
(First) Choral Symphony
The Cloud Messenger
Ballet music from The Perfect Fool (the whole opera is on YT, must give it a listen)
Indra
Beni Mora

All exceedingly fine and colorful works that deserve wider exposure. I rarely include Holst amongst my favorite composers but I think that is somehow due to the fact that he wrote few works in major forms (symphonies, concerti, chamber works, etc) rather than anything else. Anytime I listen to a work of his I'm struck by his sheer imagination and originality. Definitely a singular voice amongst British composers.
+1 but need to listen to Indra.

kyjo