Mozart - String Quartets

Started by George, June 20, 2015, 07:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Everyone here pretty much told me to get the Alban Berg set on Teldec, for the 10 mature quartets.

They weren't wrong. It's highly enjoyable except for one plodding minuet.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

I guess one will almost run the risk of a plodding menuet or two. I find them occasionally even in classical era recordings I like a lot for other reasons.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Okay, I'll ask!  Which menuet plods for you, in there?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: karlhenning on June 23, 2015, 03:45:03 AM
Okay, I'll ask!  Which menuet plods for you, in there?

I believe it was The Hunt.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

I cannot answer it off-hand with examples from string quartets because it's been years that I listened that ABQ recording but I frequently find than menuets in Mozart and Haydn are taken to slowly. There are some that seem to be clearly to be taken in whole bars (close to a waltz/laendler tempo MM 54-60 for dotted halfs) and many ensembles used to play them in measured quarters (MM ca. 120).

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Quote from: orfeo on June 23, 2015, 03:53:54 AM

Thanks!  When I get home this evening I'll return to it, see if I have a quarrel with it, too . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jo498 on June 23, 2015, 03:58:19 AM
I cannot answer it off-hand with examples from string quartets because it's been years that I listened that ABQ recording but I frequently find than menuets in Mozart and Haydn are taken to slowly. There are some that seem to be clearly to be taken in whole bars (close to a waltz/laendler tempo MM 54-60 for dotted halfs) and many ensembles used to play them in measured quarters (MM ca. 120).

I certainly see your point;  and in a great many cases, I have a natural inclination to favor the crisper tempi of the HIPsters (as long as they don't lose their heads).  Entertaining the question has me curious to revisit the Alban Berg and the Juilliard Quartets, just to see how I feel about their menuettage.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Quote from: karlhenning on June 23, 2015, 04:01:47 AM
I certainly see your point;  and in a great many cases, I have a natural inclination to favor the crisper tempi of the HIPsters (as long as they don't lose their heads).  Entertaining the question has me curious to revisit the Alban Berg and the Juilliard Quartets, just to see how I feel about their menuettage.

I'll be curious as to your findings, Karl.

I just ordered the Alban Berg Mozart Teldec set last night.  8)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Drasko

I like Smetana Quartet in K421.

[asin]B003RECFMW[/asin]

and for trivia connoisseurs, it's supposedly the first commercial digital recording (1972).

Karl Henning

Quote from: orfeo on June 23, 2015, 03:53:54 AM

I can understand this tempo (the Alban Berg Quartet) being too stately for some;  but I find they carry it with grace and energy.  I like it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jo498 on June 23, 2015, 03:58:19 AM

And I note that the marking for the Menuetto in the K.458 is Moderato, i.e. slower (more moderate) than in the other "Haydn" Quartets, which are marked Allegretto (K.387, 421 & 428) or Allegro (K.465).  (The marking in the K.464 seems to be simply Menuetto.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Quote from: karlhenning on June 25, 2015, 09:01:09 AM
And I note that the marking for the Menuetto in the K.458 is Moderato, i.e. slower (more moderate) than in the other "Haydn" Quartets, which are marked Allegretto (K.387, 421 & 428) or Allegro (K.465).  (The marking in the K.464 seems to be simply Menuetto.)

Oh yes, both Mozart and Haydn knew how to vary their menuet tempos and meant something by it. Certainly, in the case of Haydn (which I know better because I once went through an exercise of comparing movements), there are some that are definitely 3-in-a-bar and some that are definitely 1-in-a-bar.

My reaction to the Alban Bergs might well be in part because the "Hunt" was a work I was already familiar with from another performance.

Karl Henning

Well, my exercise has resulted in a preference for the Alban Berg Quartet over the Juilliards :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Quote from: karlhenning on June 25, 2015, 02:59:39 PM
Well, my exercise has resulted in a preference for the Alban Berg Quartet over the Juilliards :)

I sure pleased I bought the ABQ, then!

George

Quote from: karlhenning on June 21, 2015, 05:51:21 AM

The Alban Berg Quartett in "the ten celebrated quartets" is excellent. 

After hearing the first CD, I have to say I am disappointed. The sound thin and the playing lacks warmth. Maybe I will enjoy the other discs more.

Mandryka

Quote from: George on June 30, 2015, 06:27:18 AM
After hearing the first CD, I have to say I am disappointed. The sound thin and the playing lacks warmth. Maybe I will enjoy the other discs more.

Which one do you have, the Teldec or their second recording?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on June 30, 2015, 06:53:26 AM
Which one do you have, the Teldec or their second recording?

Teldec.

I am now thinking I should have gone with the Italiano set.

Jo498

As far as I recall the Teldec recordings they are, if anything, sounding a little *too* warm and thick for Mozart (as opposed to Brahms, Schubert or Dvorak) to my ears... if you find ABQ to thin you should maybe disregard recommendations for e.g. the Hagen or Petersen Quartets.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on June 30, 2015, 06:27:18 AM

Sorry!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA