Author Topic: Prokofiev's symphonies  (Read 37986 times)

Offline Beetzart

Re: Prokofiev's symphonies
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2010, 01:35:23 AM »
just wondering 'how many' comparisons you have made of this particular Prokofiev Symphony?

Well, I heard Celibidache, Jarvi, Karajan, Martinon, Abbado and Gergeiv; The fire and passion in Bernstein's recording are matchless.

How dreadful knowledge of truth can be when there is no  help in truth.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2012, 09:23:13 AM »
I just found this on spotify:

http://open.spotify.com/album/4Duj1BlmAqzmBxfyfEHz0X

I've only listened to 6

The sound is good. The performance is excellent. Does anyone know which Mravinski performance it is?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2012, 01:23:44 PM »
I just found this on spotify:

http://open.spotify.com/album/4Duj1BlmAqzmBxfyfEHz0X

I've only listened to 6

The sound is good. The performance is excellent. Does anyone know which Mravinski performance it is?

Thanks for posting, just gave the third movement a listen, and it was very good. You're right about the sound, and the interpretation was effective, the brisk tempo throughout until slowing it waaaay down for the thunderous final bars was as exciting an ending for the 6th I've heard.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2012, 02:17:48 PM »

Slowly diving into Kuchar's set, have some issues with the sound quality, at times it's broad with wonderful clarity from percussion and winds, other times it sounds as if it was recorded in my high school gymnasium. I purchased their No. 4, Op. 112 disc and have really enjoyed it, same issues as above but the performance itself is electrifying. I've been listening to this disc (No. 3 and No. 7) on Spotify for a while and have been impressed, the 3rd is at times monstrous with once again a strong presence from the percussion which heightens the drama. And then the 7th, performed here with it's unattractive "happy" ending (just a sarcastic opinion) but I think I may have found the one version that went the "happy" route that I can endorse. Kuchar successfully seques from the original ending to the revised with such a minor pause that it flows better than other recordings, it doesn't seem to stress or separate the two. Still, will never stray from the original (long live Tennstedt's) but this is one that I will return to, which I guess is why I'm buying a hard copy of it.

eyeresist

« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2012, 05:35:42 PM »
And then the 7th, performed here with it's unattractive "happy" ending (just a sarcastic opinion) but I think I may have found the one version that went the "happy" route that I can endorse. Kuchar successfully seques from the original ending to the revised with such a minor pause that it flows better than other recordings, it doesn't seem to stress or separate the two.

Whoops, I just responded to your double-post in a different thread. HAVE you heard Malko in 7?

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »
Whoops, I just responded to your double-post in a different thread. HAVE you heard Malko in 7?

I do have the Malko recording, I think it's an MP3 that I purchased, it's been a while though. Do you like Malko's?

eyeresist

« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2012, 05:58:33 PM »
I do have the Malko recording, I think it's an MP3 that I purchased, it's been a while though. Do you like Malko's?

It's my default option for the 7th. I think the neo-Classical/Romantic style suits the music perfectly.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2012, 06:17:04 PM »
It's my default option for the 7th. I think the neo-Classical/Romantic style suits the music perfectly.

I'll give it a spin right now, I've become so attached to Tennstedt's recording the past few years and the sense of sadness that it portrays, that I haven't spent too much time lately with my others ( I believe I have six other recordings of his 7th), and I've become such an advocate of the slow ending, I do remember always very much enjoying Malkos third movement Andante espressivo from his 7th, it's more magical sounding than andante.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2012, 02:52:00 AM »
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2012, 05:21:51 AM »

Hahaha

I think that's the trick with Prokofiev's last pieces -- you somehow have to combine romantic depth of feeling and meaningfulness with lightness of touch. Not easy.

I feel a bit underwhelmed my Ralko's 7th, but I'll certainly play it again. I've ordered Tennstedt's (you wouldn't think classical simplicity is his strength, but in fact I remember a few London Mozart concerts which were wonderful, so I have high hopes.)

Have you heard Jean Martinon with the Paris Conservetoire orchestra? That is, I think, very good
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 05:40:11 AM by Mandryka »

eyeresist

« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2012, 06:53:16 PM »
Have you heard Jean Martinon with the Paris Conservetoire orchestra? That is, I think, very good

Martinon's Prok is quite rare, though I see the VoxBox sets are still available in some places. Years ago, one of my early purchases was a ZYX CD of Martinon in the 3rd, plus Peter & the Wolf (with German narration). It didn't sell me on the work, and as I recall the sound wasn't very good. But I will check out some samples later today.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2012, 08:21:15 PM »
Martinon's Prok is quite rare, though I see the VoxBox sets are still available in some places. Years ago, one of my early purchases was a ZYX CD of Martinon in the 3rd, plus Peter & the Wolf (with German narration). It didn't sell me on the work, and as I recall the sound wasn't very good. But I will check out some samples later today.

The voxbox is with the National Orchestra of France and is not very good. The one with the Paris conservetoire is on spotify. It's very well transfered in a big box of Martinon recordings.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:34:05 PM by Mandryka »

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2015, 09:04:01 AM »
Which ending does Walter Weller use in the Seventh?

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2015, 09:07:46 AM »
The voxbox is with the National Orchestra of France and is not very good.

Agreed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot