Jazz recordings you are considering

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, June 22, 2015, 07:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

escher

Nite life is simply timeless, probably my favorite piano solo recording. I remember listening 30 seconds of a sample of What's your story morning glory over and over again and I decided that I had to hear the whole album. Rarely I've heard a blues played with such refined harmonies.

Brian

Is this as good as it looks?

[asin]B002XVZ1O4[/asin]

Karl Henning

Well, it's got Legendary in the title . . . .   0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Considering these live dates. Anybody know 'em?

[asin]B001GBZEDK[/asin]
I have this same group's Giants of Jazz date in London, from the same tour, and the night ranges from pretty good to totally spectacular. (The spectacular tracks are #1-3 on CD2, in my opinion.)

[asin]B00FZRMIX0[/asin]
Philly Joe Jones appears on 1 track.

[asin]B00AROAWGG[/asin]
Previously issued as "Monk in France" and "Monk in Italy".

[asin]B00B329UYG[/asin]
Previously issued as "Hawkins! Alive!" and "Hawkins! Eldridge! Hodges! Alive!"

[asin]B000003H8W[/asin]

Todd

Quote from: Brian on August 26, 2015, 06:25:58 PMConsidering these live dates. Anybody know 'em?

Don't know those specifically, but based on my experience, all Monk recordings are more than worth considering.  Same with Hawkins. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

kishnevi

Interesting..the track listings and timings are not quite the same as the two equivalent CDs in the Riverside All Monk set.  And track order is not the same.

king ubu

Quote from: Brian on August 26, 2015, 06:25:58 PM

The Hawkins recordings are great! However, these are grey market/public domain reissues (and frankly, as they do contain the CD bonus tracks, they might be partly bootlegs, if those bonus tracks, as I think, first appeared on the 90s CD reissues - as it might be somewhat difficult to track down the original reissues - the quartet one was Japanese on top of it - I'm not saying you should stay away, but you should be aware ... same goes for the Monk if it's indeed the Riverside, it's probably properly PD, but there were official reissues, and as always in such cases, you don't quite know about what sources were used by the PD folks).

The Monk 1969 is good (not very good) but from a historic perspective, it's most valuable of course.

The Giants of Jazz stuff is good (though it usually doesn't get me all too excited), but it's bootlegs indeed - the material is in circulation, depending on how you do your collecting, you might look for it on the internets instead of nurturing the pirates.

The J.J. material with Bobby Jaspar is great. Not sure there'd be any official reissues of it ... I have the old Mosaic box of J.J.'s Columbia Small group dates and love it. Besides the Columbia recordings, it also contains Fresh Sounds own (bootleg, I assume) "Live at the Cafe Bohemia", which adds more music by a good band ... musically, a great package for sure! (Not idea though about sources - not legal to cop off the Mosaic, but I'd not be surprised if that's what they did ... and if they did, let's hope they didn't run too many filters that did damage to the sound.)

Finally, Evans/Baker - yes, looks better than it is, I'm afraid. Neither man's best recordings, again I'd say: good, not very good (nor great). It should, though, be pretty easy in this case to lay hands on the official reissues ("Chet" was part of the Keepnews Series done by Concord, "Lerner and Loewe" was part of the even more recent OJC Remasters series, and both were available as OJCCDs for decades before that).

[asin]B000PY30JE[/asin]
[asin]B00CU9LE5Y[/asin]
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Scion7

It's hard for me to say too much about these recent re-assemblies or recent live albums from radio broadcasts or tv broadcasts compared to the original albums (which I mostly have) and therefore don't buy compilations - I would say if the sound quality is pretty good, then any Monk from the Sixties is going to be at least decent, although I would go for the Blue Note sides and albums that do not have Charlie Rouse - he was not the right player for Monk.  IN ACTION and MISTERIOSO was his best band.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Brian

THANK YOU king ubu - our tastes are very similar so I love reading your comments -

Any fans of this?:

Oscar Peterson Meets Roy Hargrove and Ralph Moore (Telarc)

XB-70 Valkyrie

king ubu

Quote from: Brian on October 02, 2015, 05:55:50 PM
THANK YOU king ubu - our tastes are very similar so I love reading your comments -

Any fans of this?:

Oscar Peterson Meets Roy Hargrove and Ralph Moore (Telarc)

I've got the other one of these meetings with the oldsters (Clark Terry, Benny Carter, Ray Brown + Lorne Lofsky, Lewis Nash) and enjoy that one ... but I've got so much OP (fifty? sixty?), at this time I really don't feel like getting more  :)

The Haden/Rubalcaba is on my wantlist as well - love all those Haden+piano duets!

Related (p/b duo, re-vamped Impulse! label) I finally just got the Barron/Holland duo album and am positively surprised! I know Barron is a fine piano player but still he fails to catch my attention at times. Not here!

My favourites on the new Impulse (which is also kind of the new Gitanes/Verve France, as Jean-Philippe Allard is there, the guy who did all those great Randy Weston, Helen Merrill, Teddy Edwards etc. albums in the nineties) are the live Hall/Haden and the Ran Blake though.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Brian on August 26, 2015, 06:25:58 PM

[asin]B001GBZEDK[/asin]
I have this same group's Giants of Jazz date in London, from the same tour, and the night ranges from pretty good to totally spectacular. (The spectacular tracks are #1-3 on CD2, in my opinion.)

By an amazing coincidence I was just listening to that--but not for long.  It has that speaker-packed-with cotton bad sound that makes it hard to get into...
It's all good...

San Antone

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on October 07, 2015, 09:41:13 PM

The Haden/Rubalcaba (I know their studio disc and assume this live date is also good) and Gerald Clayton are highly recommendable. 

king ubu

Not sure what Haden/Rubalcaba studio disc you are referring to, the one I've known for a while is the trio set with Motian from Haden's Montreal Tapes (live and wonderful).

I've had the Tokyo disc for a few days now and enjoy it a lot. Though it's somewhat subdued - adagio, dig? ;)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

San Antone

Quote from: king ubu on October 30, 2015, 12:10:28 PM
Not sure what Haden/Rubalcaba studio disc you are referring to, the one I've known for a while is the trio set with Motian from Haden's Montreal Tapes (live and wonderful).

I've had the Tokyo disc for a few days now and enjoy it a lot. Though it's somewhat subdued - adagio, dig? ;)

This one

[asin]B0002O37RM[/asin]

king ubu

Ah, of course .... like that one as well, but the smaller combinations (trio in Montréal,  duo in Tokyo) are more down my alley!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

XB-70 Valkyrie

Thanks for the comments. I'm getting ready to drop a shite-load of money on CDs from Amazon. Here are a few more I heard snippets of recently and enjoyed:

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on October 30, 2015, 04:34:04 PM
Thanks for the comments. I'm getting ready to drop a shite-load of money on CDs from Amazon. Here are a few more I heard snippets of recently and enjoyed:

I've got one Gustavsen disc (The Ground). I like it, although listened to in one go it's a little too much smooth. Haven't heard Changing Places.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach