The Music Room > The Jazz Lounge

Jazz recordings you are considering

<< < (23/24) > >>

Brian:
I prefer the group recordings, myself - it's fun to hear Tatum jousting with other gifted improvisers rather than running around on his own. You're gonna have some fun more listening coming soon, San Antone.

San Antone:

--- Quote from: T. D. on January 29, 2020, 07:11:02 AM ---I don't believe the ZYX are remastered or improved. The packaging is rather cheapo and contains no claims of remastering (which I wouldn't necessarily believe in any case, as with the "remastered" Proper Boxes  ;) ). But I think the sound quality is fine.
I'd ordinarily go with the solo recordings first, but decided to take a chance and go the other route. The group sessions greatly exceeded expectations.
I'm an old dinosaur and haven't gotten with the streaming thing. Would have to do some audio system upgrades first, as my computer speakers are minimal and not suited for serious listening.

--- Quote from: Brian on January 29, 2020, 07:40:54 AM ---I prefer the group recordings, myself - it's fun to hear Tatum jousting with other gifted improvisers rather than running around on his own. You're gonna have some fun more listening coming soon, San Antone.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I've been listening to the group sessions this morning.  I think when I first checked out some of them what I heard were had bad sound and it kind of ruined it for me.  Those Pablo sessions sound great, and include some really good bands.

Then I switched to some Earl Hines.  If you haven't heard those Mosaic recordings, you should check them out. 

They've been re-issued with different covers by Legacy (I think they're the same recordings, but can't be sure since I don't have the booklets):

XB-70 Valkyrie:

T. D.:
Interesting (Japanese) Hampton Hawes release coming up:

BTW, the shop Dusty Groove has a useful "coming soon" page https://www.dustygroove.com/coming-soon/jazz
(Standard disclaimer: I have no relationship to the vendor mentioned, etc.)

hvbias:

--- Quote from: San Antone on January 29, 2020, 08:58:46 AM ---

Yeah, I've been listening to the group sessions this morning.  I think when I first checked out some of them what I heard were had bad sound and it kind of ruined it for me.  Those Pablo sessions sound great, and include some really good bands.

Then I switched to some Earl Hines.  If you haven't heard those Mosaic recordings, you should check them out. 

They've been re-issued with different covers by Legacy (I think they're the same recordings, but can't be sure since I don't have the booklets):

--- End quote ---

That Earl Hines Mosaic is one of my favorite Mosaic sets, absolutely amazing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version