Jazz recordings you are considering

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, June 22, 2015, 07:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I should've recommended the movie in the first place.

Brian

$25

Is this essential or non-essential Nina? Or is all Nina essential? (I do like the smaller group, more personal stuff better than the orchestral and crossover stuff.)

The albums are: 'Nuff Said, To Love Somebody, Black Gold, Nina Simone and Piano!, and It Is Finished

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

^ I only know a few of them but they are good albums.

Mookalafalas

More Ahmad Jamal? He just passed away today. I love him, but to be honest, I thought he'd been gone for decades.
It's all good...

Brian

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 17, 2023, 02:46:57 AMMore Ahmad Jamal? He just passed away today. I love him, but to be honest, I thought he'd been gone for decades.
Last night I listened to the complete Pershing and Blackhawk, the classic albums everyone buys first. There were two new 2 CD sets released just this December, featuring his Seattle concerts in the 1960s. That Seattle club recorded all their sets and only recently began reissuing them - there's a Cannonball Adderley set from that source too. The sound on the Adderley album is not incredible, a little flat, but it's not awful. Very curious about those Ahmad Jamal albums and might buy them in tribute.

Mookalafalas

As I recall the story, Bill Evans was a fan at the time he (Bill Evans) was playing with Miles Davis, and took Miles to see him play. Jamal was playing some Far-from-jazz-standard tunes, like "Someday My Prince Will Come" that worked so well Miles started playing them, too.
  The Adderly album sounds tempting. His "Something Else" is so damn good, I'm always disappointed when I hear other stuff by him because it never lives up...but perhaps I just haven't heard the right stuff yet. 
It's all good...

Brian

Hmmm. "Somethin' Else" is a little bit outside Cannonball's usual wheelhouse - I almost think of it more like a Miles Davis album than a Cannonball one. Cannonball's usual personality is so garrulous and boisterous and fun and loud, like a Harlem Globetrotters player - not profound, just happy. And his own band with his brother often featured really tight ensemble work. My girlfriend loves their sound because she played sax in school and appreciates how well-rehearsed and together they are. Obviously that's different from the average Miles band of that era, with his more mellow, improvised approach  ;D

Cannonball's in a more relaxed mood on his Bill Evans album "Know What I Mean," and on some parts of "Things Are Getting Better" with Milt Jackson. And I definitely need to mention Quintet in Chicago, which is the whole Miles Davis band minus Miles.

Have you explored much of the Yusuf Lateef collaborations?

Mookalafalas

I absolutely agree with Something Else being practically a Miles album, but I'm a huge Miles fan, so that's why I like it so much. Since my last post, I listened to some of his older stuff with Milt Jackson, which I enjoyed. Yusuf Lateef I either don't know or have forgotten. I'll look for Quintet in Chicago. The 60s (and 70s?) stuff with Nat didn't do anything for me--but I'm mostly an old school fan in jazz. I like 1920s to 1950s best, and mostly dislike fusion, and really dislike free jazz. There are exceptions, of course.
It's all good...

Brian

Oh, if you dislike fusion and "soul" jazz, you will be fairly limited with Cannonball to his stuff before about 1960-61. Now, you should definitely look up the albums with vocalists Eddie Vinson (who also replaces Cannonball on sax for a few tracks; "Arriving Soon," a Vinson original, is one of my favorite jazz tunes ever) and Nancy Wilson.

KevinP

https://newland.ochre.store/format/1217313-with-strings-attached-1957-1965

This has been on my radar since it was released, coincidentally about the same time I discovered her.

It's a bit pricey at US$250, but I don't mind that. Six remastered LPs and a really nice booklet make a really nice box set, and all the reviews have been glowing. She's also someone who deserves a lovingly-assembled box set.

What does make me hesitate is that that price is well above what I'm allowed to freely import into Korea, and I'll get slammed with import tarrifs, meaning I'll be paying a lot more than the $250.

KevinP

*Sigh* Was about to bite, but shipping is US$83+. And that counts for the total price on which I'm taxed...