Jazz recordings you are considering

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, June 22, 2015, 07:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikF

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on October 01, 2018, 05:46:06 PM
Have been collecting vinyl since 1990, when everyone was getting rid of it. I absolutely love everything about vinyl, and in 20+ years of owning an Oracle Delphi III/SME V tonearm/Sumiko Blue Point, I have had ZERO problems. A clean, high-quality record on this rig is spectacular and even cheap/bargain vinyl from years ago is still wonderful. (My hearing is exceptional BTW--the best my ENT has ever seen) The late Brooks Berdan who set everything up, was certainly one of the greatest turntable/audio guys on the planet, and now his son has taken over and serves my audio needs quite well.

I do like CDs for larger sets and various other things--partly because I have limited time and bandwidth to digitize LPs. I actually really enjoy doing this, but a single LP takes about 2 hr from start to finish. I usually do one a week. Every few months, I take a dozen or so my LPs to my audio dealer's shop to clean them on the $6K Keith Monks, or lately, the ClearAudio machine, followed by some lunch and lounge drinks/dessert. It's a nice day out. (wife sometimes comes along and does her shopping).

I prefer the original vinyl (or sometimes the vinyl reissues) for various things like various classical performers, labels (Westminster, Period, early Decca, RCA Stereo, etc.). Especially lately, I like the original vinyl for jazz and jazz/pop vocalists from the 50s-70s. Julie London, June Christy, Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Sarah Vaughan, and Tony Bennett--man I love those covers!

I don't know anything about the tech of that stuff, but I've heard what some set ups are capable of. And as ever, when pleasure is found in any pursuit - good stuff.
As for the cover art, yeah, I know from speaking with you before that you can well appreciate such pieces. In many instances there's a lasting beauty in both the final product and how it was executed.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

XB-70 Valkyrie

And hey, you have nice taste in cameras (Nikon F in your avatar)!

You've seen this?? Digital backs for 35mm SLRs? I like the idea, but am very skeptical.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/7113780578/i-m-back-digital-back-for-analog-slrs-is-now-in-production

My old Olympus OM-2s is sadly neglected for years now. Call me a hipster if you like (I'm 46 and don't have a beard, but I DO drive an old Volvo!). It would be fun to load it with film and fire it up, if it would even work. Film did have a nice tactile feel, and I still miss loading a new roll and advancing the lever. However, in terms of IQ, cost, and the enormous ease of post-processing, I have no romantic notions about film vs. digital the way I do for LPs! My Nikon 7200 annhilates film in pretty much every respect--better IQ at ISO 10000 than film had at ISO 400. Cards are scandalously cheap compared to film, and LR 7 provides me with insane range of options.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

XB-70 Valkyrie

In terms of such cover art, a couple favorites

NikF

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on October 01, 2018, 07:13:19 PM
And hey, you have nice taste in cameras (Nikon F in your avatar)!

You've seen this?? Digital backs for 35mm SLRs? I like the idea, but am very skeptical.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/7113780578/i-m-back-digital-back-for-analog-slrs-is-now-in-production

My old Olympus OM-2s is sadly neglected for years now. Call me a hipster if you like (I'm 46 and don't have a beard, but I DO drive an old Volvo!). It would be fun to load it with film and fire it up, if it would even work. Film did have a nice tactile feel, and I still miss loading a new roll and advancing the lever. However, in terms of IQ, cost, and the enormous ease of post-processing, I have no romantic notions about film vs. digital the way I do for LPs! My Nikon 7200 annhilates film in pretty much every respect--better IQ at ISO 10000 than film had at ISO 400. Cards are scandalously cheap compared to film, and LR 7 provides me with insane range of options.

No, I haven't seen that, but it's interesting. Cheers for the link.

Yeah, my avatar is a photo by my ex and it doubled as my username.

I agree with you 99.99% re: analogue v digital. It's just lingering faith that when correctly exposing over 11 zones that film is going to help me minimise chances of clipping - with a background consisting of echoes of decades of photo editors and printers lingering in my memory.  ;D

e: and looking at my avatar now, I think there's also some backing tape from Adox 120 or one of those old style emulsions.

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

NikF

I think both are cool for a number of reasons.

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on October 01, 2018, 07:17:07 PM
In terms of such cover art, a couple favorites

But this one...

...this is where it's at. Gimme.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: NikF on October 01, 2018, 08:04:37 PM
But this one...
...this is where it's at. Gimme.

Uh huh huh huh! Come to Butthead!

XB-70 Valkyrie

As for film, I don't know what you think of Ken Rockwell (he is kind of Trumpian), but I am absolutely fascinated by this article on the Kodak Medalist II medium format camera. I am tempted!!

https://kenrockwell.com/kodak/medalist-ii.htm#intro

https://kenrockwell.com/kodak/medalist-ii.htm

NikF

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on October 01, 2018, 08:26:12 PM
As for film, I don't know what you think of Ken Rockwell (he is kind of Trumpian), but I am absolutely fascinated by this article on the Kodak Medalist II medium format camera. I am tempted!!

https://kenrockwell.com/kodak/medalist-ii.htm#intro

https://kenrockwell.com/kodak/medalist-ii.htm

The worst I could say about him is that he frequently points out his site is ad free, despite it being one big ad with every paragraph seeming to contain an affiliate hyperlink or two. And he seems to be kind of a dick.  ;D

As for the camera, I like old cool stuff. Having said that, I tend to view those things as nothing more than tools. Although it's a different format and optical formula, I had an old speed graphic and a couple of boards, one of which was for an aero ektar. Remember those? Anyway, they're fun and interesting so if you've got the time/cash, why not? And 6x9 is nice on 120. Once in a while I carry that combo in my pocket -

- my avatar now has an example of the output. It's a 1940s(?) bessa rf.

Having said all that, I've a super ikonta that despite having a (relatively) wide lens seems to love women, and it's a real favourite. Anyway, if you decide to go for a medalist let me know how you get on.

e: just an attempt to keep this (even faintly  :laugh:) on topic, is that shot of Julie London can be dated by the way it's lit. Look at the little triangle of light under her eye - old school Rembrandt Lighting;D

Brian

What are some favorite Chet Baker albums where he does NOT sing?

I was just listening to "Chet Is Back!" and wishing for more like that.

XB-70 Valkyrie

I recommend Chet Baker and Bill Evans Complete Recordings highly--one of my favorites! I have the 2 LP set (great) and cannot speak to the quality of the CDs.

I am also looking at this one, which is ridiculously cheap. But, I already have so many unlistened-to disks, I am going to wait a while.

T. D.

T. D.

Will definitely purchase if the reissue happens (which is far from certain IMO)...

Alek Hidell

Quote from: T. D. on November 13, 2019, 02:01:22 PM
Sam Rivers, http://nobusinessrecords.com/zenith.html Zenith

Ooo, this release is news to me. Considering the personnel, I'd say you should move this one from "considering" to "purchased." :)

And I need to make a mental note of it, too ...
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

T. D.

Quote from: Alek Hidell on November 15, 2019, 07:51:43 PM
Ooo, this release is news to me. Considering the personnel, I'd say you should move this one from "considering" to "purchased." :)

And I need to make a mental note of it, too ...

Done. BTW, I recommend Emanation, the predecessor (in a promised series) on the same label...

Alek Hidell

Quote from: T. D. on November 20, 2019, 01:08:27 PM
Done. BTW, I recommend Emanation, the predecessor (in a promised series) on the same label...

Thanks! There's a lot of Sam Rivers' discography I have yet to explore.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

T. D.

Emanation is good but maybe not essential, depending on how many Rivers recordings you have. I don't own all that much (missed out on the big band stuff, for instance), but want to support the new project.

San Antone

A Sam Rivers album that I like a lot is Involution, with Andrew Hill.

The Andrew Hill tracks were never released originally and only appeared as this twofer reissue. 

T. D.

Quote from: San Antone on November 21, 2019, 10:00:55 AM
A Sam Rivers album that I like a lot is Involution, with Andrew Hill.

The Andrew Hill tracks were never released originally and only appeared as this twofer reissue.

The 4 tracks w. Hill and Rivers were issued on CD under Hill's name as part of the Andrew Hill Blue Note Mosaic (big box), and also on the BN Conn disc Change. I'm a fan of Hill, missed out on the Mosaic, but acquired Change in the process of duplicating the Mosaic (except Pax, which I have yet to buy) on single CDs.

San Antone

Quote from: T. D. on November 21, 2019, 01:49:01 PM
The 4 tracks w. Hill and Rivers were issued on CD under Hill's name as part of the Andrew Hill Blue Note Mosaic (big box), and also on the BN Conn disc Change. I'm a fan of Hill, missed out on the Mosaic, but acquired Change in the process of duplicating the Mosaic (except Pax, which I have yet to buy) on single CDs.

You are correct, I had forgotten to mention the Mosaic box.  What I meant was that the sessions were not released under Rivers' name at the time of their production (I believe he was the leader on the original session), and were only issued later, first as the vinyl twofer (which is how I first heard them) and then included in the comprehensive Andrew Hill Mosaic box set.  I am unfamiliar with the Change CD you mentioned.

I have always thought of those recordings as first rate for both Hill and Rivers, I especially liked the string quartet writing by Hill.

T. D.

I wound up with all of the material on the Involution vinyl twofer via combination of Hill's Change and the BN Rivers CD Dimensions & Extensions. Being late to the game and generally too cheap to spring for Mosaic big boxes, research was necessary...
There's some great string quartet material (but no Rivers) on the Hill Mosaic Select #16.