The Music Room > General Classical Music Discussion

All About Streaming Music Services

(1/55) > >>

Wakefield:
As far as I know, we don't have a general thread devoted to streaming music services, so this one is intended to talk about them: Spotify, Deezer, Pandora, ClassicsOnLine HD and so.

BTW, Apple Music was launched 2 days ago and, after some hours of difficulties with the actualization of iTunes for Mac, it's now running in Macs, iPhones and iPads.

So far, I think it's a very satisfactory service in terms of sound quality (just 320 kbps, but actually sounds very good) and database. Probably, I was expecting for something else in terms of design (an Apple strong point), but the layout doesn't present innovations worth of being mentioned.

I will see the next three months (free trial) how it works out compared to Spotify.  :)   

Wakefield:

--- Quote from: sanantonio on July 02, 2015, 03:19:19 AM ---I am trying to get it to work on my PC but so far, it can't load my iTunes library (granted which is huge) - but I hate the forced editorializing with suggestions and playlists, etc.  However, if it has gapless playing, I'm there, since this is the main drawback with Spotify and other streaming services.  Listening to a long work that is broken into a dozen tracks, and having a hiccup every three minutes or so is infuriating.

--- End quote ---

I have listened to several disks and it has gapless playing. And yes, it has suggestions and playlists, but you can simply ignore them because they don't work automatically.

Basically, the search box gives you the option between to search in your own library or through Apple Music, and that is it.   

DaveF:

--- Quote from: Gordo on July 02, 2015, 03:15:10 AM ---As far as I know, we don't have a general thread devoted to streaming music services...

--- End quote ---

No - so thanks for starting this one, since I was just looking for somewhere to ask a question.  I'm considering a subscription to Qobuz, and there's a very tempting "link" on this page: http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/plans/music-streaming-subscription offering a 15-day free trial, but in fact it isn't a link at all and doesn't do anything.  (Likewise, the FAQ and Help centre links on the Help page only refer back to the same page - O site, thou art sick, thinks I.)  Does anyone know if and how I get the free trial?

DaveF:

--- Quote from: sanantonio on July 03, 2015, 11:57:39 AM ---Are you located in Europe?

--- End quote ---

At the moment - although the UK is promised a referendum on EU membership...

Wakefield:

--- Quote from: DaveF on July 03, 2015, 11:48:35 AM ---No - so thanks for starting this one, since I was just looking for somewhere to ask a question.  I'm considering a subscription to Qobuz, and there's a very tempting "link" on this page: http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/plans/music-streaming-subscription offering a 15-day free trial, but in fact it isn't a link at all and doesn't do anything.  (Likewise, the FAQ and Help centre links on the Help page only refer back to the same page - O site, thou art sick, thinks I.)  Does anyone know if and how I get the free trial?

--- End quote ---

You're welcome!  :)

As SA pointed out, it's probably an issue of regional restrictions.

Qobuz looks very attractive and when I learned about its lossless service a year ago, I tried to pay a subscription from Chile, but it wasn't possible.

Even so, I was able of purchasing some disks (I mean digital downloads) for awhile, but after some months this option was also eliminated.  :(

P.S.: I did some further investigation and my hypothesis was wrong because this service was officially launched in UK almost a year ago: http://www.whathifi.com/news/qobuz-high-res-download-store-launches-in-uk  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version