All About Streaming Music Services

Started by Wakefield, July 02, 2015, 04:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eljr

Quote from: ando on February 27, 2024, 01:41:51 PMI appreciate whatever "classical" selection comes my way with their autoplay feature.

Not me. I am very select. Nothing more annoying than an algorithm directing my attention.
I have this feature turned off on all of my streaming from TV shows t0 music to my education courses, to ....
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

ando

Quote from: eljr on March 15, 2024, 10:39:49 AMNot me. I am very select. Nothing more annoying than an algorithm directing my attention.
I have this feature turned off on all of my streaming from TV shows t0 music to my education courses, to ....
Whatever works!

DavidW

Quote from: eljr on March 15, 2024, 10:39:49 AMNot me. I am very select. Nothing more annoying than an algorithm directing my attention.

Autoplay is just random tracks not necessarily whole works.  It makes sense with pop music, but not classical!

Madiel

Quote from: DavidW on March 15, 2024, 01:10:11 PMAutoplay is just random tracks not necessarily whole works.  It makes sense with pop music, but not classical!

Actually it doesn't make sense with a lot of pop music. Good pop albums are not just random selections of songs. They are whole works just as much as any classical work with multiple movements.

I know of at least 2 or 3 high profile pop artists who've fought against this belief that everything is up for shuffling.

Which is why I don't use autoplay in either genre.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DavidW

Quote from: Madiel on March 15, 2024, 04:15:13 PMGood pop albums are not just random selections of songs. They are whole works just as much as any classical work with multiple movements.

Well yes and no.  There are some big concept albums like what you talk about.  But most albums are just collections of songs, sometimes with a unifying theme, sometimes not.

Madiel

Quote from: DavidW on March 15, 2024, 06:21:56 PMWell yes and no.  There are some big concept albums like what you talk about.  But most albums are just collections of songs, sometimes with a unifying theme, sometimes not.

I'm not purely talking about concept albums. There are MANY albums where the order of songs is carefully planned so that the contrasts of tempo and register and key work well.

Adele doesn't make concept albums but she made Spotify stop shuffling the order of the songs on her album. She planned an order. That's the way she wanted people to hear it. Saying otherwise is the equivalent of saying it doesn't matter whether you put the Adagio movement first.

I mean, don't worry, there are plenty of pop music listeners who also don't appreciate the effort that many artists put into structuring an album. But a hell of a lot of albums have structure. Just because people have stopped listening on physical media that enforces an order doesn't mean that musicians have stopped thinking that way. Hell, a lot of albums still have a Side A and Side B in their musical structure from the days of vinyl.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

AnotherSpin

The most noticeable thing about today music, including pop, is that it is not organic. Nothing is endowed with true life anymore; the vanished Being is universally replaced with a soulless and rationalistic "will" and "self-expression". Everything is caged in a personal dimension; in this culture, everything begins and ends within the personal ego. If we are talking about structure here, we are talking about the structure of a petty mechanism.

steve ridgway

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 15, 2024, 10:00:53 PMThe most noticeable thing about today music, including pop, is that it is not organic. Nothing is endowed with true life anymore; the vanished Being is universally replaced with a soulless and rationalistic "will" and "self-expression". Everything is caged in a personal dimension; in this culture, everything begins and ends within the personal ego. If we are talking about structure here, we are talking about the structure of a petty mechanism.

As it happens, the work I'm listening to now sums up the state of consciousness I'm looking for - the remembrance that there's an immense universe outside humanity's day to day preoccupations. "Chronochromie imagines a natural world without people: a world of birds, mountains and changeless, abstract time."

Madiel

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 15, 2024, 10:00:53 PMThe most noticeable thing about today music, including pop, is that it is not organic. Nothing is endowed with true life anymore; the vanished Being is universally replaced with a soulless and rationalistic "will" and "self-expression". Everything is caged in a personal dimension; in this culture, everything begins and ends within the personal ego. If we are talking about structure here, we are talking about the structure of a petty mechanism.

People have been saying "kids today" for thousands of years, why should you be any different.

You want to see structure, The Eras Tour film is now streaming. Over 3 hours of music carefully planned to achieve a variety of tones and moods.

Then you could go to any of the 10 constituent albums and see how they're structured (though the first couple are admittedly a bit generic given Taylor's age at the time). But the tour is truly fascinating as it moves from big production numbers to intimate solos and back again.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Madiel on March 15, 2024, 10:54:41 PMPeople have been saying "kids today" for thousands of years, why should you be any different.

You want to see structure, The Eras Tour film is now streaming. Over 3 hours of music carefully planned to achieve a variety of tones and moods.

Then you could go to any of the 10 constituent albums and see how they're structured (though the first couple are admittedly a bit generic given Taylor's age at the time). But the tour is truly fascinating as it moves from big production numbers to intimate solos and back again.

People who know that so-called "progress" is crap see gradual and permanent degeneration in everything, whether it's on the scale of millennia, centuries or decades.

I don't have anything to say about Taylor Swift, I'd rather stay silent.

Madiel

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 16, 2024, 12:23:31 AMPeople who know that so-called "progress" is crap see gradual and permanent degeneration in everything, whether it's on the scale of millennia, centuries or decades.

I don't have anything to say about Taylor Swift, I'd rather stay silent.

So your only two options are progress or degeneration.

Interesting. There's an undistributed middle, you know.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Madiel on March 16, 2024, 12:29:27 AMSo your only two options are progress or degeneration.

Interesting. There's an undistributed middle, you know.

Progress is a term sly manipulators use to mask degeneration. What options you're talking about?

Madiel

I'm talking about things being different over time without inherently being better or worse.

But to paint such a monolithic picture either way, of constant progress or of constant degeneration, frankly strikes me as a bit ridiculous.

To pick one obvious example of genuine progress, average life expectancy is now decades higher than it was a few generations ago. If you think that's evidence of degeneracy then I'm afraid I can't agree.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Madiel on March 16, 2024, 01:44:27 AMI'm talking about things being different over time without inherently being better or worse.

But to paint such a monolithic picture either way, of constant progress or of constant degeneration, frankly strikes me as a bit ridiculous.

To pick one obvious example of genuine progress, average life expectancy is now decades higher than it was a few generations ago. If you think that's evidence of degeneracy then I'm afraid I can't agree.

Bingo. We live, or rather exist, in an era of quantity, but not quality. Becoming instead of being. And there have been no fluctuations and not expected to be. Call it monolithic, if you like.

DavidW

Quote from: Madiel on March 15, 2024, 07:48:33 PMI mean, don't worry, there are plenty of pop music listeners who also don't appreciate the effort that many artists put into structuring an album.

I only listen to pop music by albums, but sure jump to conclusions, it is after all what you do when you have your dander up!

Quote from: Madiel on March 15, 2024, 10:54:41 PMYou want to see structure, The Eras Tour film is now streaming. Over 3 hours of music carefully planned to achieve a variety of tones and moods.

Oh no!  OH NO!!!  You're a swifty!!  How did we end up with a Swifty on this forum!?! :o

Madiel

Quote from: DavidW on March 16, 2024, 06:53:29 AMI only listen to pop music by albums, but sure jump to conclusions, it is after all what you do when you have your dander up!

I didn't say you don't listen to albums. I said you don't appreciate their structure. Which is evident by your words, not your listening habits.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on March 16, 2024, 06:53:29 AMI only listen to pop music by albums, but sure jump to conclusions, it is after all what you do when you have your dander up!

Oh no!  OH NO!!!  You're a swifty!!  How did we end up with a Swifty on this forum!?! :o

Quote from: Madiel on March 16, 2024, 01:09:48 PMI didn't say you don't listen to albums. I said you don't appreciate their structure. Which is evident by your words, not your listening habits.
Come on guys...please take a deep breath! You both have things to contribute.

And yes, I do appreciate a well-thought-out album.  For me (an example):  Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love".

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 16, 2024, 03:31:18 PMAnd yes, I do appreciate a well-thought-out album.  For me (an example):  Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love".

PD

Yeah that is a great album.  Also Paul Simon's Graceland!

Oh and I wasn't angry, I was making fun of Madiel for being a Taylor Swift fan. ;D

Madiel

I ignored that part. I was a forum member long before I was a Swiftie.

DavidW

I'm having terrible problems with Presto's app.  It freezes up and will stop playing, searching etc. on both the Windows app and through bluos. 

I'm finally going to take Spotted Horses advice and try Amazon Music.