All About Streaming Music Services

Started by Wakefield, July 02, 2015, 04:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin

I'm not ignoring anyone. People are too conditioned and dependent, I can not have personal complaints against someone in particular -- only compassion and not much more. Including to all those in the enormous crowds pulsating to today's mechanical noise, which, however, is no different from yesterday or the day before yesterday. It is not about music only.

As for Swift, as I already wrote above, I have nothing to say about her. I tried listening a few years ago and several times since. I've never managed to make it longer than a minute or two. So I don't have enough material for scientific analysis... ;D

DavidW

You know I was just teasing Madiel in a nonsensical way but I have a feeling that AS is being serious??, and this crazy debate actually makes me curious to listen to her music!

Madiel

Well this is what streaming services are great for, trying stuff out.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

AnotherSpin

Quote from: DavidW on March 23, 2024, 08:28:00 AMYou know I was just teasing Madiel in a nonsensical way but I have a feeling that AS is being serious??, and this crazy debate actually makes me curious to listen to her music!

He is not to be teased as he is intolerant to opinions different from his. He is unable to embrace and endorse other's views, which is so arrogant and dreary in modern epoch of acceptance and inclusiveness. Very sad and no fun at all.

Madiel

I tolerate a range of informed opinions on many topics (admittedly it depends on the topic). It's the fantasies that depart from a factual basis I tend to have more trouble with.

Moving On.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Madiel on March 24, 2024, 12:17:54 AMI tolerate a range of informed opinions on many topics (admittedly it depends on the topic). It's the fantasies that depart from a factual basis I tend to have more trouble with.

Moving On.

You bragged about ignoring me. Where did the comment on my last post come from?

DavidW

I also had problems with Amazon Music and ended up going back to Qobuz.  If Apple Music is ever added to BluOS I will give it a shot.  But for now I'm done exploring.

Madiel

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 24, 2024, 06:15:52 AMYou bragged about ignoring me. Where did the comment on my last post come from?

It's taken me 4 days to find out you don't know what "mostly" means.  :laugh:

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Madiel on March 28, 2024, 12:49:01 PMIt's taken me 4 days to find out you don't know what "mostly" means.  :laugh:

"I only know what he said because you quoted it."

It didn't take me four days to understand what was written. But don't imagine I'm bragging that I'm an instant thinker, unlike you. God forbid. ;)

DaveF

I see that all of Hyperion's song editions - Schumann, Brahms, Liszt, Fauré, Debussy, as well as countless volumes of Schubert - are now available on streaming platforms, plus as Qobuz downloads.  Nice!
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

DavidW

I think I've decided to stop using streaming to just bounce around music endlessly.  I think I'll just use it to listen to my music when I'm at work, and focus on my cd collection at home.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on April 14, 2024, 08:27:58 AMI think I've decided to stop using streaming to just bounce around music endlessly.  I think I'll just use it to listen to my music when I'm at work, and focus on my cd collection at home.
Are you feeling like you were like a kid in a candy shop, i.e., not being able to focus on one piece of music at a time?  Or finding it too distracting while trying to work?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 15, 2024, 01:49:48 AMAre you feeling like you were like a kid in a candy shop, i.e., not being able to focus on one piece of music at a time?  Or finding it too distracting while trying to work?

PD

The first.  It never distracts me when working, if it were I wouldn't listen.  I only listen when I'm doing something low mental effort.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on April 14, 2024, 08:27:58 AMI think I've decided to stop using streaming to just bounce around music endlessly.  I think I'll just use it to listen to my music when I'm at work, and focus on my cd collection at home.

So far, I have not found streaming has influenced my musical habits in a bad way, although it is a big issue for some. I have read a few articles in the media, the gist of which is that in the streaming era the musical experience imposed on you is that you have a tap you open and music pours out continuously, over which you have little control. I could see how that could happen initially using Apple Music. You play one The Who song and all of a sudden you are transferred to virtual reality of classic rock. But then I noticed there is a check box "infinite play" and if you uncheck it, the music stops after whatever you have selected ends. :)

For classical listening, the main influence is that after I have listed to a piece I might poke around and sample various alternate versions that I might want to listen to next as a contrast. For instance, after listening to Grimwood's Années de pèlerinage I identified a dozen other recordings, briefly sampled half of them, and decided I'll listen to Angelich next. I didn't have to buy them all, or pick one blind. Ironically, I often stream CDs I own (losslessly on Apple Music) because I can't be bothered to find the FLAC files on my hard disk, and I figure "why not sent a few extra pennies to the record label?"

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on April 15, 2024, 06:09:22 AMThe first.  It never distracts me when working, if it were I wouldn't listen.  I only listen when I'm doing something low mental effort.
Were/are you listening to/exploring a lot of different genres?  Just curious.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

AnotherSpin

Sounds like a criticism of the idea of unlimited consumption. You would probably enjoy living in the USSR. A dozen composers, three or four conductors, endless repetition of the same humble repertoire of several symphonies. The wealth of having no choice (I'm almost not kidding, choice is only an illusion).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: AnotherSpin on April 15, 2024, 08:09:32 AMSounds like a criticism of the idea of unlimited consumption. You would probably enjoy living in the USSR. A dozen composers, three or four conductors, endless repetition of the same humble repertoire of several symphonies. The wealth of having no choice (I'm almost not kidding, choice is only an illusion).

There is something to it, but you take it too far, in my opinion. It is a well known experience that people who settle in the U.S. (and not just from the Soviet Union) find it disconcerting to go to the supermarket and find, for instance, an entire wall of toothpaste. Too many choices and they are all the same (maybe two categories, with and without fluoride). It is disconcerting even for a native of the U.S. like me. But being able to choose from dozens of recordings of Mahler's 9th symphony at no marginal cost does not cause me any inconvenience or stress.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Todd

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 15, 2024, 09:33:19 AMToo many choices and they are all the same (maybe two categories, with and without fluoride).

Four categories: with/without fluoride; with/without whiteners.  Intangible product differentiation must flourish so that marketing folks stay employed. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Todd on April 15, 2024, 09:38:57 AMFour categories: with/without fluoride; with/without whiteners.  Intangible product differentiation must flourish so that marketing folks stay employed.

Do whiteners actually whiten?

Todd

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 15, 2024, 09:50:55 AMDo whiteners actually whiten?

I don't know.  The ads say they do.  Some chemical or another is included, or maybe not.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya