All About Streaming Music Services

Started by Wakefield, July 02, 2015, 04:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Wakefield

As far as I know, we don't have a general thread devoted to streaming music services, so this one is intended to talk about them: Spotify, Deezer, Pandora, ClassicsOnLine HD and so.

BTW, Apple Music was launched 2 days ago and, after some hours of difficulties with the actualization of iTunes for Mac, it's now running in Macs, iPhones and iPads.

So far, I think it's a very satisfactory service in terms of sound quality (just 320 kbps, but actually sounds very good) and database. Probably, I was expecting for something else in terms of design (an Apple strong point), but the layout doesn't present innovations worth of being mentioned.

I will see the next three months (free trial) how it works out compared to Spotify.  :)   
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: sanantonio on July 02, 2015, 04:19:19 AM
I am trying to get it to work on my PC but so far, it can't load my iTunes library (granted which is huge) - but I hate the forced editorializing with suggestions and playlists, etc.  However, if it has gapless playing, I'm there, since this is the main drawback with Spotify and other streaming services.  Listening to a long work that is broken into a dozen tracks, and having a hiccup every three minutes or so is infuriating.

I have listened to several disks and it has gapless playing. And yes, it has suggestions and playlists, but you can simply ignore them because they don't work automatically.

Basically, the search box gives you the option between to search in your own library or through Apple Music, and that is it.   

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

DaveF

Quote from: Gordo on July 02, 2015, 04:15:10 AM
As far as I know, we don't have a general thread devoted to streaming music services...

No - so thanks for starting this one, since I was just looking for somewhere to ask a question.  I'm considering a subscription to Qobuz, and there's a very tempting "link" on this page: http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/plans/music-streaming-subscription offering a 15-day free trial, but in fact it isn't a link at all and doesn't do anything.  (Likewise, the FAQ and Help centre links on the Help page only refer back to the same page - O site, thou art sick, thinks I.)  Does anyone know if and how I get the free trial?
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

DaveF

Quote from: sanantonio on July 03, 2015, 12:57:39 PM
Are you located in Europe?

At the moment - although the UK is promised a referendum on EU membership...

Wakefield

Quote from: DaveF on July 03, 2015, 12:48:35 PM
No - so thanks for starting this one, since I was just looking for somewhere to ask a question.  I'm considering a subscription to Qobuz, and there's a very tempting "link" on this page: http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/plans/music-streaming-subscription offering a 15-day free trial, but in fact it isn't a link at all and doesn't do anything.  (Likewise, the FAQ and Help centre links on the Help page only refer back to the same page - O site, thou art sick, thinks I.)  Does anyone know if and how I get the free trial?

You're welcome!  :)

As SA pointed out, it's probably an issue of regional restrictions.

Qobuz looks very attractive and when I learned about its lossless service a year ago, I tried to pay a subscription from Chile, but it wasn't possible.

Even so, I was able of purchasing some disks (I mean digital downloads) for awhile, but after some months this option was also eliminated.  :(

P.S.: I did some further investigation and my hypothesis was wrong because this service was officially launched in UK almost a year ago: http://www.whathifi.com/news/qobuz-high-res-download-store-launches-in-uk  :-\
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: sanantonio on July 03, 2015, 12:56:29 PM
People are reporting that after invoking the import iTunes Library into iCloud that Apple Music screws up their iTunes Library's metadata, re-tagging items (sometimes incorrectly or at the very least differently from how you might have painstakingly tagged them), and even putting tracks from one album into another.  Really messed up.  I am glad my initial attempt failed.  I have backed up my itl file and will wait to see if they fix the glitch before attempting again.

Fortunately, I didn't take this option because I suspected something like this....

BTW, another interesting feature on Apple Music is the streaming of a fair amount of musical videos, both popular and classical.  :)
-- Voltaire

CliveHebdenBr

I've been using Apple Music for past few days since it started and found a great deal of what I like. However, there are some notable exceptions: ECM, Linn and Hyperion labels are the most significant omissions. None of those labels is on Spotify - a service of which I've only ever used the free version. I've read elsewhere that Qobuz used to have quite a lot of Hyperion and possibly ECM but I've never used that service, so cannot verify.
According to Apple they are currently streaming at 256kbps not 320 like Spotify, although Apple uses AAC which is supposed to have better overall quality in spite of the streaming speed.
Over past 2 days I have gone through Gramophone and BBC Music magazine reviews for their June editions and found about half to two thirds of them on Apple Music.
I wonder what other experiences people have had.

DaveF

Thanks, all.

I know Qobuz subscriptions are available in the UK - I just wondered whether anyone had found a way to access the 15-day free trial, since the link doesn't actually link to anything.  Perhaps you get it automatically when you sign up, which I'm going to do when I get back from holiday in a couple of weeks.

Mandryka

Does anyone listen to streams through hifi? How do you get it into the hifi?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Holden

Quote from: Mandryka on July 05, 2015, 02:28:01 AM
Does anyone listen to streams through hifi? How do you get it into the hifi?

I use a device from Kaiser Bass called Soundshift. It connects to my stereo amp via RCA plugs and all I have to do is select it on my iPad/iPhone via AirPlay. I've also managed to connect it to my work tablet via WiFi. Both run through my home WiFi network. I am very happy with the sound and the ability to listen to Spotifiy through my system.
Cheers

Holden

Mandryka

Quote from: Holden on July 05, 2015, 02:41:45 AM
I use a device from Kaiser Bass called Soundshift. It connects to my stereo amp via RCA plugs and all I have to do is select it on my iPad/iPhone via AirPlay. I've also managed to connect it to my work tablet via WiFi. Both run through my home WiFi network. I am very happy with the sound and the ability to listen to Spotifiy through my system.

The reason I'm asking is that, although  squeezebox works well for me, it hasn't been supported by Logitech for a long time, and that means that it isn't able to respond to changes in music streamers' formats. Spotify's OK. I rejected qobuz because the squeezebox app wasn't finding all the files available for streaming, and the youtube and soundcloud apps are a total failiour.

Let me check with you if you have the time. Does this Soundshift:

Stream your own server of lossless and lossy files? Is there a maximum server size?
Stream quobuz, soundcloud and youtube?
Allow you to search on your tablet?
Allow you to use an external DAC? (I know you're happy with the sound but . . . )
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Brian

FYI, Linn is on Naxos Music Library. I think Hyperion and ECM may not be streaming anywhere.

Who streams Supraphon?

NJ Joe

Quote from: sanantonio on July 03, 2015, 12:56:29 PM
People are reporting that after invoking the import iTunes Library into iCloud that Apple Music screws up their iTunes Library's metadata, re-tagging items (sometimes incorrectly or at the very least differently from how you might have painstakingly tagged them), and even putting tracks from one album into another.  Really messed up.  I am glad my initial attempt failed.  I have backed up my itl file and will wait to see if they fix the glitch before attempting again.

I read about the problems people were having with importing their iTunes library into iCloud, so I quickly ignored Apple's first prompt to get me to upgrade to the "Apple Music" version of iTunes.

Here's my question:  Can you install the latest version of iTunes without importing your iTunes library, or is it automatic?

"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

NJ Joe

Quote from: sanantonio on July 05, 2015, 06:43:11 AM
Aside from the tagging issue of more concern to me is the DRM issue.  That is a policy decision by Apple and not linked to a software update.

Thank you.  Can you explain what you mean here?
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Holden

Quote from: Mandryka on July 05, 2015, 04:42:09 AM
The reason I'm asking is that, although  squeezebox works well for me, it hasn't been supported by Logitech for a long time, and that means that it isn't able to respond to changes in music streamers' formats. Spotify's OK. I rejected qobuz because the squeezebox app wasn't finding all the files available for streaming, and the youtube and soundcloud apps are a total failiour.

Let me check with you if you have the time. Does this Soundshift:

Stream your own server of lossless and lossy files? Is there a maximum server size?
Stream quobuz, soundcloud and youtube?
Allow you to search on your tablet?
Allow you to use an external DAC? (I know you're happy with the sound but . . . )

While I can't give a definite yes to all your questions I can give a qualified one given that I know how the system works.

The Kaiser Baas Soundshift is a wireless receiver that operates via your homes wireless network. If you don't have a wireless network it can also act as a wireless hotspot. It will pick up wireless streams from Apple devices via the already installed AirPlay available on iDevices (iPad, iPhone, etc) and Macs. For PCs and tablets it uses DLNA to connect wirelessly. I've used both so I know  it works. In other words it is controlled by the apps on your device so I think that's a Yes to all four questions (assuming your server runs and is controlled by a PC and/or a software media player)

Via my iPad I've streamed YouTube, Spotify, my music library to my Hifi setup, basically anything that produces sound on my device. The sound quality is very good. I used the work tablet to play my sound library via WMPlayer. I also have JRiver which would also work. I haven't got around to streaming from my PC yet as I don't need to. The range is quoted as 30m.

The Soundshift is a small cube that fits easily into the palm of my hand. It is powered from the wall via a 5v mini USB and connects to my amp via RCA leads. It was given to me as a thank you gift and has to be one of the best gifts I've had. From what I can gather it costs about $US100.

Logitech make a similar device but it uses Bluetooth to connect and sometimes pairing can be an issue with Bluetooth. I imagine that there are other devices as well.

The only issue I had was the initial set up connecting it to my home network. There was one instruction missing in the manual. A quick call to the help desk solved the problem.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Holden

SonicMan46

Hi Guys - just wanted to join this thread because I do steaming mainly to a decent BT soundbar connected to my HDTV via an optical cable - w/ the latter, I mainly do Pandora using a Roku device.

I also use the BT feature of the soundbar to stream from my iPad using either an Amazon app (I've purchased hundreds of CDs from them and the music is available for streaming) and Spotify - the sound from that rather inexpensive BT speaker system (has a BT sub-woofer) is not as good as my regular speakers but is quite acceptable.  Dave :)

NJ Joe

Quote from: sanantonio on July 05, 2015, 09:10:32 AM
From what I understand from reading this article Apple will add DRM to all your music tracks during the importing process to iCloud making it impossible to play them unless you continue buying Apple tunes:

Thank you.  Apple is just too wonderful for words.
-David Byrne

mc ukrneal

Quote from: sanantonio on July 05, 2015, 09:10:32 AM
From what I understand from reading this article Apple will add DRM to all your music tracks during the importing process to iCloud making it impossible to play them unless you continue buying Apple tunes:

They have a terrible approach to DRM, always trying to lock you into their services. With this, I became anti-Apple (when they first started doing this funny business years ago) and absolutely refuse to buy anything of theirs. I was hoping their approach to locking you into their software/hardware/services had changed, but apparently not. There is no reason to give any money to Apple when there are better alternatives...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

NJ Joe

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 05, 2015, 12:30:07 PM
They have a terrible approach to DRM, always trying to lock you into their services. With this, I became anti-Apple (when they first started doing this funny business years ago) and absolutely refuse to buy anything of theirs. I was hoping their approach to locking you into their software/hardware/services had changed, but apparently not. There is no reason to give any money to Apple when there are better alternatives...

You wouldn't happen to have a better alternative than the iPod Classic, would you?
-David Byrne

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: NJ Joe on July 05, 2015, 02:36:15 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a better alternative than the iPod Classic, would you?

I have this one on my list, after plenty of shopping. I think it will pretty well blow an old Classic out of the water. Even plays FLAC!  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)