Gian Carlo Menotti (1911-2007)

Started by vandermolen, July 10, 2015, 08:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I looked under American and Italian composers and couldn't find a thread - so here goes.
Frankly, I don't know much about Menotti but I have been greatly enjoying an orchestral piece called 'Apocalypse' (1951-52). The middle movement reminded me of 'Job' by Vaughan Williams and Eric Chisholm's 'Pictures from Dante' also came to mind. Menotti was long lived, born in the same year as Allan Pettersson. Any views on Menotti?
[asin]B00005A8EZ[/asin]
Here is what Menotti said of 'Apocalypse':

'[it is]...a synthesis of the vast body of Jewish and Christian writings on the subject of the apocalypse. Most people only know of the description of the apocalypse in the Revelations of St John, but there are numerous different accounts, mostly in poetry. These writings are high highly rhapsodic and emotive in their figures of speech and narrative content.'

Here is the central movement. It only last for just over 4 minutes:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WXN4DUCatfk
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

springrite

Unsurprisingly, I know him mostly through his operas. I especially love The Consul, maybe because at the time some of my friends went through similar experience as the story of the opera!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Rons_talking

I like his chamber operas (Medium, Consul, Telephone, Amahl and the Night Visitors), some of which are still performed fairly regularly; esp. Amahl for the holidays. His piano music is very good though I've not heard much of it. I would say his music needs to be resurrected, as what I have heard is a brisk tonal yet contemporary.  A good thread...
BTW...how does one post record covers? I've been unsuccessful.

Mirror Image

vandermolen

Quote from: Rons_talking on July 10, 2015, 02:50:03 PM
I like his chamber operas (Medium, Consul, Telephone, Amahl and the Night Visitors), some of which are still performed fairly regularly; esp. Amahl for the holidays. His piano music is very good though I've not heard much of it. I would say his music needs to be resurrected, as what I have heard is a brisk tonal yet contemporary.  A good thread...
BTW...how does one post record covers? I've been unsuccessful.
Thanks for replies. I have Amahl on Naxos so must listen to that again. As for posting CD covers there is an Amazon symbol (small 'a' and arrow) above the box where you type your message. If you click on that and add in the code for the CD which you will find on Amazon (look for the ASIN code) the CD image should appear in your post - like magic.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Rons_talking

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2015, 07:35:57 PM
Everything you need to know here:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,17808.0.html

I have tried and get a preview with the message and the visual but when I post I get "the message box is empty."  :(

vandermolen

Quote from: Rons_talking on July 11, 2015, 01:29:18 AM
I have tried and get a preview with the message and the visual but when I post I get "the message box is empty."  :(

Did you try what I suggested above?

If you click on the Amazon symbol you should get two 'ASIN' signs in your post. You then type in the ASIN number for the particular CD that you want to display in between the ASIN signs and it should work.

ritter

Quote from: Rons_talking on July 11, 2015, 01:29:18 AM
I've encountered that problem sometimes...if you write some text (even just one word) before the image, then "the message box is (no longer) empty" and your message get's posted OK...

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on July 11, 2015, 11:06:07 AM
I've encountered that problem sometimes...if you write some text (even just one word) before the image, then "the message box is (no longer) empty" and your message get's posted OK...
Oh, I understand the problem now. Hopefully that should do it.

Rons_talking

There don't appear to be many recordings of his instrumental music alone, but his operatic scores are often rewarding as complete musical works (though better on stage, I'm sure). I just listened to part of The Medium
and I liked it quite a bit. His opera style resembles Stravinsky in the 1920s, where he interupts the flow by design. There's a strong French influence.
Now let's see if the cover comes out...

[asin]B0000018ZN[/asin]

vandermolen