Firefox problem

Started by Bachtoven, December 29, 2023, 02:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bachtoven

The Check Your Spelling As You Type feature does not work. I have it enabled and have a dictionary installed, but it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

DavidW

Funny, works for me.  Have you tried updating to the most recent version of Firefox?

Bachtoven

It's version 121.0 and Firefox says it's up to date. I just downloaded and installed it yesterday.

drogulus

Disable the setting then close the browser using File/Exit. Open the browser and enable the setting. I find disable/enable often works for a variety of things.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

DavidW

Quote from: drogulus on December 29, 2023, 06:55:51 PMDisable the setting then close the browser using File/Exit. Open the browser and enable the setting. I find disable/enable often works for a variety of things.

The old IT trick!

Spotted Horses

Reminds me of a joke. A group of friends are riding in a car that breaks down. One, an electrical engineer, claims the problem is obviously an electrical failure. Another, a chemist, claims that there is a problem with the combustion mixture. Another, a mechanical engineer, suggests a problem with the transmission. Finally the forth, a computer scientists, says "maybe if we all get out and get in again it will run."
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

steve ridgway

Quote from: DavidW on December 29, 2023, 07:07:47 PMThe old IT trick!

Had one like that once but the caller said they couldn't find the power socket as all the lights were off in the warehouse  :'(.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: steve ridgway on December 29, 2023, 11:34:31 PMHad one like that once but the caller said they couldn't find the power socket as all the lights were off in the warehouse  :'(.

No joke. Sometime around 1990 I had a Gateway computer (remember them?). One of the first "486" computers (remember them?). (That was before the "586" line of Intel processors was renamed "pentium" because you can't trademark a number.) When you called customer service (before the days of automated call systems) you had to listen to a recording reminding you to plug the computer in before you could talk with a service representative.

Reminds me of another joke. A newly rich Russian has gotten his first car, and he is driving on the Moscow beltway. His wife sees a story on television and calls him on his new cell phone. "Dmitri," she warns him, "be careful, I saw on telelvision that someone is driving the wrong way on the beltway!" "Masha," he replies, "someone is driving the wrong way? There are hundreds of them!"
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 29, 2023, 10:33:44 PMReminds me of a joke. A group of friends are riding in a car that breaks down. One, an electrical engineer, claims the problem is obviously an electrical failure. Another, a chemist, claims that there is a problem with the combustion mixture. Another, a mechanical engineer, suggests a problem with the transmission. Finally the forth, a computer scientists, says "maybe if we all get out and get in again it will run."

And here I was thinking that someone else would have said "You're out of gas".  ;)

PD

steve ridgway

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 30, 2023, 05:36:10 AMAnd here I was thinking that someone else would have said "You're out of gas".  ;)

No, they were all scientists and engineers  ;).

Bachtoven

Quote from: drogulus on December 29, 2023, 06:55:51 PMDisable the setting then close the browser using File/Exit. Open the browser and enable the setting. I find disable/enable often works for a variety of things.
That didn't work, either. I'll just stay with Microsoft Edge. Thanks everyone.

drogulus

Right click on a text line (I'm doing it on this one). I see "check spelling" is checked and under language I have "English (US)". I guess that means I don't have to add a dictionary for that one.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Holden

Quote from: steve ridgway on December 29, 2023, 11:34:31 PMHad one like that once but the caller said they couldn't find the power socket as all the lights were off in the warehouse  :'(.

While I was at Uni I had a holiday job working as the controller for all the TV technicians for a company and sending them out to do repairs. I very quickly learned to ask these three questions before booking in a repair call

1 Is it plugged in at the wall?
2 Is the wall switch in the on position?
3 Have you tried the On switch on the TV?

This solved about 5% - 10% of problems.
Cheers

Holden

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: steve ridgway on December 30, 2023, 06:09:04 AMNo, they were all scientists and engineers  ;).
I expected that the joke might have ended with either (for example) a police person, a person who stopped to help, or maybe (for example) someone who works on cars, etc.?

PD

Bachtoven

Spell check suddenly started working!

steve ridgway

Quote from: Bachtoven on December 30, 2023, 04:37:03 PMSpell check suddenly started working!

It's a Christmas mirrakel ;D .

Bachtoven

Actually, it's not. I had two browsers open...I didn't realize I was actually using Edge! I give up.