1970s colour schemes

Started by 71 dB, January 13, 2024, 03:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

In relation to exploring 70s pop music I have been thinking about the colour schemes typical to the decade. In my opinion the colours defining the 70s are (in the order of darkness):

• White
  • Yellow
  • Orange
  • Red
  • Blue
  • Brown

These colours and their combinations give warm, safe and a bit dull feel. Black is too dark for the 70s. Darkish brown is the black of the 70s. The common combinations, optional colours in parenthesis, are:

(White) + yellow + orange + (red) + brown ==> "Cosy & safe warmth" for home
White + yellow + red + blue ==> "Lego colours" for kids
White + red or white + blue ==> "Sporty colours"

Green, cyan/teal, magenta/violet as well as pastel colours are NOT typical to the 70s. When red was used, it was a little bit toward orange rather than toward magenta. Complementary colours where not used. The use of colours was a bit naive, innocent and childish, but not excessively so. The 70s had courage to use orange boldly as a statement. You want an orange sofa with brown and yellow cushion? The 70s got you covered!

Do you agree with this? Do you have other colour schemes to add? How was the 70s coloured in your opinion?

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

drogulus

Quote from: 71 dB on January 13, 2024, 03:51:50 AMDo you agree with this? Do you have other colour schemes to add? How was the 70s coloured in your opinion?

The '70s were colored like a Robert Altman movie.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

steve ridgway

My bedroom had blue patterned wallpaper, bright blue carpet and red and white bedspread 8) .

AnotherSpin

Pure gold, if we talk about 70s popular music.

71 dB

Quote from: steve ridgway on January 13, 2024, 09:44:32 PMMy bedroom had blue patterned wallpaper, bright blue carpet and red and white bedspread 8) .

Hah! What kind of patterns? Was it blue patters on white background? You Brits love your patterned wallpapers!  :D

71 dB

Quote from: AnotherSpin on January 14, 2024, 02:08:36 AMPure gold, if we talk about 70s popular music.

That's funny! ;D  A lot of pop music from 70s was actually garbage just as always, but the best of it was pure gold, platinum and diamonds! 8)

71 dB

Quote from: drogulus on January 13, 2024, 02:04:25 PMThe '70s were colored like a Robert Altman movie.

I believe Images is the only Robert Altman movie I have seen (I have got the Blu-ray).

pjme

The seventies were fun - but glued together with hairspray, spandex, lurex, nylon, orange plastic and  shoulder padding.

VonStupp

Harvest Gold and Avocado Green were all the rage in houses where I lived.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

steve ridgway

Quote from: 71 dB on January 14, 2024, 02:09:05 AMHah! What kind of patterns? Was it blue patters on white background? You Brits love your patterned wallpapers!  :D

Relatively subtle stripes of different blues, not a strong pattern. We have no wallpaper at all in our current house, got thoroughly sick of scraping old layers off and pulling half the plaster away with it in previous houses. Then trying to stick new paper on neatly :'( .

steve ridgway

I used to work on bright orange 1970s computers. Well, until the 1990s when our (gay) chief operator couldn't stand it any more and had them spray painted beige  ::) . As you can see, computer operations was a popular career choice for attractive and well dressed young women ;D .

Spotted Horses

Quote from: 71 dB on January 13, 2024, 03:51:50 AMIn relation to exploring 70s pop music I have been thinking about the colour schemes typical to the decade. In my opinion the colours defining the 70s are (in the order of darkness):

• White
  • Yellow
  • Orange
  • Red
  • Blue
  • Brown

I don't think that a list of primary or secondary colors characterizes the aesthetic of the 70's. It was the peculiar hues that were popular. Burn orange, banana yellow, avocado green, lime green, etc. The attraction towards warm colors you mention is there, but the use of bold hues compared with what we see today.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington