Author Topic: The GMG Pickwick Club  (Read 32716 times)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: The GMG Pickwick Club
« Reply #300 on: February 23, 2021, 03:58:31 PM »
Dickens: Bleak House

This is quite a large novel. It is also somewhat different in that it is narrated by one of the main characters and, alternatively, by the author at different periods. It is essentially a story about a legal case involving a will. It is also a tale of obsession and the consequences of that obsession on various people. There are some very strong characters in this novel and the story is well told by Dickens. I have enjoyed the read [my first time].

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #301 on: February 23, 2021, 04:46:00 PM »
Dickens: Bleak House

This is quite a large novel. It is also somewhat different in that it is narrated by one of the main characters and, alternatively, by the author at different periods. It is essentially a story about a legal case involving a will. It is also a tale of obsession and the consequences of that obsession on various people. There are some very strong characters in this novel and the story is well told by Dickens. I have enjoyed the read [my first time].

I'm planning to read it at some point, as I enjoyed the BBC production a good deal.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline DavidW

« Reply #302 on: February 23, 2021, 04:47:52 PM »
It is one of the few works of Dickens that I haven't read.  It is sitting on my shelf.  The last Dickens novel I read was Hard Times.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #303 on: February 25, 2021, 02:55:09 PM »
I'm planning to read it at some point, as I enjoyed the BBC production a good deal.

It is one of the few works of Dickens that I haven't read.  It is sitting on my shelf.  The last Dickens novel I read was Hard Times.

Covid times are a good time for reading Dickens as in this case one needs a lot of time to allocate to it. The moral of the tale is one of tremendous irony. Enjoy the read if you gentlemen do go ahead with it.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline DavidW

« Reply #304 on: February 26, 2021, 06:18:03 AM »
Covid times are a good time for reading Dickens as in this case one needs a lot of time to allocate to it.

My workload during covid is actually been quite a bit more instead of less.  It is difficult for me to commit to any long novel for that reason.  Maybe this summer.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #305 on: March 04, 2021, 01:26:05 PM »
Dickens: Hard Times

I have read somewhere that this is the least read novel written by Dickens. That is a pity as I found it to be an engrossing read. I liked the strong characters and I also liked the plot. I found both to be very creditable and engaging. Dickens was a master storyteller and this is a fine tale which is well told.

Offline DavidW

« Reply #306 on: March 04, 2021, 03:21:25 PM »
That is funny that is not often read since it is one of his shortest.  I agree that it is a fine novel.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #307 on: March 04, 2021, 05:19:26 PM »
Dickens: Hard Times

I have read somewhere that this is the least read novel written by Dickens. That is a pity as I found it to be an engrossing read. I liked the strong characters and I also liked the plot. I found both to be very creditable and engaging. Dickens was a master storyteller and this is a fine tale which is well told.

We were assigned Hard Times in my high school specifically because it was his shortest novel.

I do think it shows all his strengths as a novelist.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #308 on: March 04, 2021, 07:51:02 PM »
We were assigned Hard Times in my high school specifically because it was his shortest novel.

I do think it shows all his strengths as a novelist.

Haven't read it in an age, should revisit it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #309 on: March 11, 2021, 06:20:21 AM »
Dickens: Little Dorrit

Little Dorrit is essentially the story of the incarceration and the life of a man who was sentenced to the debtors prison, and his and his family’s life especially his youngest daughter Amy Dorrit who was born in the prison. The book contains the comments of Dickens upon the system of the debtors prison, the operation of the civil service and the high regard in which an ultimate financial swindler is held. There are some wonderful characters contained in this work. The contrast between the characters of Little Dorrit and her father, both inside and outside of the prison is wonderfully written. There are, of course, many other wonderful characters here also. 

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #310 on: March 23, 2021, 06:26:27 AM »
Dickens: A Tale Of Two Cities

This is a very famous book obviously but how many people have actually read it? It is a well constructed novel that is easy to read. It is historically based but it is not a “heavy” read. It is based around a certain number of characters in, and some common to, the two cities concerned. I had forgotten the level of detail that dickens employs in his descriptive narrative in relation to the French Revolution. As always with Dickens wonderful characters inhabit the pages. I found it, once again after many years, to be an engrossing read. It was well worth another reading.

Offline DavidW

« Reply #311 on: March 23, 2021, 06:59:26 AM »
Dickens: A Tale Of Two Cities

This is a very famous book obviously but how many people have actually read it? It is a well constructed novel that is easy to read. It is historically based but it is not a “heavy” read. It is based around a certain number of characters in, and some common to, the two cities concerned. I had forgotten the level of detail that dickens employs in his descriptive narrative in relation to the French Revolution. As always with Dickens wonderful characters inhabit the pages. I found it, once again after many years, to be an engrossing read. It was well worth another reading.

It is one of my all time favorite novels.  I've read it several times and I'm planning on rereading it in the next year or so.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #312 on: March 23, 2021, 07:04:49 AM »
It is one of my all time favorite novels.  I've read it several times and I'm planning on rereading it in the next year or so.

Great. I had not read it in many years and I found the re-read very rewarding.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #313 on: March 23, 2021, 08:32:29 AM »
It is one of my all time favorite novels.

Mine as well.
What is Music? How do you define it? Music is a calm moonlit night, the rustle of leaves in Summer. Music is the far off peal of bells at dusk! Music comes straight from the heart and talks only to the heart: it is Love! --- Rachmaninoff

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #314 on: April 05, 2021, 02:02:17 AM »
Dickens: Great Expectations

This was an interesting reading of this work. I thought that I had remembered it but I was wrong. The book is full of wonderful characters with a straightforward, basically linear plot. It is also a book that is packed full of wonderful images, sometimes portrayed almost photographically. The standout ones are obviously those of the early scenes with the convict as well as those scenes associated with Miss Havisham. But there are many more that are wonderfully evocative which had been forgotten by me. Also the rich tapestry of characters was also something that came to light again for me. The writing of Estella’s character was wonderful and the description of Wemmick’s character and his domestic environment have become some of my favourite portrayals by Dickens. Wonderful writing indeed.