The GMG Pickwick Club

Started by Bogey, July 17, 2015, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: Elgarian on July 31, 2015, 10:28:28 AM
One day when I was 14 years old, my English teacher (Mr Atherton by name, bless him) walked into the classroom and began to talk about the joys of secondhand bookshops. I'd never even (knowingly) seen a secondhand bookshop, let alone been in one, and I was intrigued. The reason he was talking about this was that just a few days earlier he'd found a nineteenth century copy of The Pickwick Papers, with all the original etched illustrations, and it had cost him next to nothing. Not surprisingly, he was thrilled, and wanted to share the fun of it.

Talk about influence! Something about this tale captured my imagination immediately, and I determined (a) to find a secondhand bookshop, and (b) to track down for myself an old copy of Pickwick with its original illustrations.  So began a lifetime infatuation with secondhand bookshops and old books. How much I owe that man. Rest in peace and gratitude, Mr Atherton.

Nice (but cheap) old copies of Pickwick are not that common, so although I found several old bookshops pretty quickly, I had to wait much longer for my C19th edition. I made do with a copy from the Library instead, and found it far more enjoyable than I expected, though I always felt it went off towards the end. What began as a delightfully comic tale became altogether too bleak, I thought; and I still would criticise the book for lacking coherence. Yes, I know, written in parts as it was, with its particular history, and its patchwork origin as a text to accompany a handful of etchings, coherence isn't exactly what one would expect from it; but still - he did spoil it, for me. I was still hung up on the theory of tittlebats and Dickens was asking me to confront the plight of Jingle in the Fleet.

Anyway, Pickwick would always find a place in any list of my top ten all-time favourite books, just because of my fondness for how it all began, though I wonder how many more re-readings lie ahead of me. Not so many, I think. The competition is a lot fiercer now than when I was 14.

A very fine and enjoyable post!

kishnevi

Quote from: Bogey on July 31, 2015, 08:42:26 AM
It seems to be a long book.  I am reading from my Kindle as I vacation so do not have a paper copy in front of me.  Wonderful so far.

IIRC Bleak House is Dickens's longest book.  We read Hard Times in high school because it was the shortest, and our teacher hated Dickens.

Which allowed us to stage a good senior prank in the last term of our senior year, by "kidnapping" her and forcing her to listen to a reading from BH during lunch in the school cafeteria.

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on July 31, 2015, 10:43:08 AM
Alan, how grand to see you again! And you remind me that I must get back to Pickwick's breach of promise suit . . . .

Yes, sorry Karl. I'm being very ... intermittent, aren't I? I'm not listening to very much classical music right now, so I don't often seem to have much to say - though I look in here most days, and read a bit even if I don't say anything. The movement I need is over your shoulder, or something (to misquote a Beatle).

Elgarian

Quote from: aligreto on July 31, 2015, 10:54:52 AM
A very fine and enjoyable post!

What a nice thing to say. Thank you. A glass of Guinness with you, Sir!

aligreto

Quote from: Elgarian on July 31, 2015, 11:26:18 AM
What a nice thing to say. Thank you. A glass of Guinness with you, Sir!

You are most welcome Sir. I will pass on the Guinness but I will share a glass of the Red Grape and toast your good health Sir!

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 31, 2015, 11:18:07 AM
IIRC Bleak House is Dickens's longest book.

The top5 in length usually comes down to Dombey, Copperfield, Bleak house, Little Dorrit and Our Mutual Friend, with differing reports about which of them is THE longest.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Elgarian

Quote from: aligreto on July 31, 2015, 11:33:02 AM
You are most welcome Sir. I will pass on the Guinness but I will share a glass of the Red Grape and toast your good health Sir!

I thank you most kindly, Sir, and cordially invite you to join me for luncheon (roast tittlebat fricassee).

aligreto

Quote from: Elgarian on July 31, 2015, 12:24:53 PM
I thank you most kindly, Sir, and cordially invite you to join me for luncheon (roast tittlebat fricassee).

Your gracious invitation is indeed most kind Sir!

aligreto

Quote from: Alberich on July 31, 2015, 12:02:03 PM
The top5 in length usually comes down to Dombey, Copperfield, Bleak house, Little Dorrit and Our Mutual Friend, with differing reports about which of them is THE longest.

I am currently reading Nicholas Nickleby and it is in a two volume edition [Heron] and it seems pretty lengthy to me. It does not feature as one of his lengthier ones obviously?

Elgarian

Quote from: aligreto on July 31, 2015, 12:44:10 PM
Your gracious invitation is indeed most kind Sir!

Mr Pickwick himself is otherwise engaged, I understand, but I am hopeful that Tupman, Winkle and Snodgrass will join us.

aligreto

Quote from: Elgarian on July 31, 2015, 12:49:58 PM
Mr Pickwick himself is otherwise engaged, I understand, but I am hopeful that Tupman, Winkle and Snodgrass will join us.

Delighted with the proposed attendance of the honourable mentioned gentlemen. Unfortunate regarding the indisposition of Mr. Pickwick but I understand the great demand of our revered leader. I would be most appreciative if Mr. Sam Weller could deputize for Mr. Pickwick so that one could enjoy the charms of that gentleman's conversation and outlook.

Bogey

Quote from: Elgarian on July 31, 2015, 10:28:28 AM
One day when I was 14 years old, my English teacher (Mr Atherton by name, bless him) walked into the classroom and began to talk about the joys of secondhand bookshops. I'd never even (knowingly) seen a secondhand bookshop, let alone been in one, and I was intrigued. The reason he was talking about this was that just a few days earlier he'd found a nineteenth century copy of The Pickwick Papers, with all the original etched illustrations, and it had cost him next to nothing. Not surprisingly, he was thrilled, and wanted to share the fun of it.

Talk about influence! Something about this tale captured my imagination immediately, and I determined (a) to find a secondhand bookshop, and (b) to track down for myself an old copy of Pickwick with its original illustrations.  So began a lifetime infatuation with secondhand bookshops and old books. How much I owe that man. Rest in peace and gratitude, Mr Atherton.

Nice (but cheap) old copies of Pickwick are not that common, so although I found several old bookshops pretty quickly, I had to wait much longer for my C19th edition. I made do with a copy from the Library instead, and found it far more enjoyable than I expected, though I always felt it went off towards the end. What began as a delightfully comic tale became altogether too bleak, I thought; and I still would criticise the book for lacking coherence. Yes, I know, written in parts as it was, with its particular history, and its patchwork origin as a text to accompany a handful of etchings, coherence isn't exactly what one would expect from it; but still - he did spoil it, for me. I was still hung up on the theory of tittlebats and Dickens was asking me to confront the plight of Jingle in the Fleet.

Anyway, Pickwick would always find a place in any list of my top ten all-time favourite books, just because of my fondness for how it all began, though I wonder how many more re-readings lie ahead of me. Not so many, I think. The competition is a lot fiercer now than when I was 14.

Indeed an excellent post.  Unlike you, none of my teachers exposed me to Dickens.  My first exposure was a version of A Christmas Carol with Mr. Magoo.  Fortunately my wife bought me the 21 volumes of the Oxford Illustrated reprints.  Great use of bookshelf space in our home.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: aligreto on July 31, 2015, 12:47:57 PM
I am currently reading Nicholas Nickleby and it is in a two volume edition [Heron] and it seems pretty lengthy to me. It does not feature as one of his lengthier ones obviously?

Nickleby is one of his longer earlier novels but I'm not sure it's quite as long as the five I mentioned. I could be wrong though.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Elgarian

Quote from: aligreto on July 31, 2015, 01:00:52 PM
Delighted with the proposed attendance of the honourable mentioned gentlemen. Unfortunate regarding the indisposition of Mr. Pickwick but I understand the great demand of our revered leader. I would be most appreciative if Mr. Sam Weller could deputize for Mr. Pickwick so that one could enjoy the charms of that gentleman's conversation and outlook.

In celebration of the luncheon, Snodgrass has composed an Ode, which doubtless he will read to the assembled company:

Ode to the Pickwick Club

By Augustus Snodgrass

Ah Pickwick Club, if I could sing thy praise!
The very stars above would surely twinkle
Ever brighter, with companions such
As Tupman, Weller, Pickwick - yes, and Winkle!

aligreto

Quote from: Elgarian on August 01, 2015, 01:22:27 AM
In celebration of the luncheon, Snodgrass has composed an Ode, which doubtless he will read to the assembled company:

Ode to the Pickwick Club

By Augustus Snodgrass

Ah Pickwick Club, if I could sing thy praise!
The very stars above would surely twinkle
Ever brighter, with companions such
As Tupman, Weller, Pickwick - yes, and Winkle!

An eminently fine composition from our embedded poet which touches the essence of our gathering!

Karl Henning

This is an occasion for toasting cheese, if ever there was one.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on August 01, 2015, 05:02:07 AM
This is an occasion for toasting cheese, if ever there was one.

I've always believed that ALL occasions are good for toasting cheese, myself. A slice of Toasted Roquefort with you, Sir.

As for Pickwickian Cheddamtittlebertzola ... now there's a cheese to be reckoned with.

Bogey

Coincidence as I read waiting for our flight from NYC after 10 days of being tourists back to Denver?

"London was a great wonder to us, and we were out for hours and hours at a time, seeing the sights, which appeared to be less capable of exhaustion than ewe were."
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on August 01, 2015, 06:34:59 AM
I've always believed that ALL occasions are good for toasting cheese, myself. A slice of Toasted Roquefort with you, Sir.

As for Pickwickian Cheddamtittlebertzola ... now there's a cheese to be reckoned with.

There are indeed cheeses to treat with no little respect.

Quote from: Bogey on August 01, 2015, 06:58:05 AM
Coincidence as I read waiting for our flight from NYC after 10 days of being tourists back to Denver?

"London was a great wonder to us, and we were out for hours and hours at a time, seeing the sights, which appeared to be less capable of exhaustion than we were."

Lovely!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Poverty and oysters . . . times have changed!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA