The GMG Pickwick Club

Started by Bogey, July 17, 2015, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jaakko Keskinen

My top7 Dickens novels (still undecided about the order of the remaining 4 novels of his that I've read):

Little Dorrit
Our Mutual Friend (Yes, in my review I complained about two of the three storylines but really, they aren't that bad, it's merely that that one storyline is so incredibly powerful it overshadows them.)
David Copperfield
Great Expectations
The Old Curiosity Shop
Oliver Twist
Barnaby Rudge

The remaining 4 novels from 11 that I've read are a bit harder to define. Tale of two cities I can't remember clearly enough (having read it only once) but from what I recall, I enjoyed it. Hard times had some awesome things but the bad stuff reminds me of the bad stuff in Our Mutual Friend: convoluted and weird mess most likely written while smoking pot. I liked it more the first time I read it. When I first read Dombey in finnish, I didn't really like it but now reading it in english it is considerably more enjoyable, even though Dickens hammers the educational points in way way too hard (the shortened finnish translation, not surprisingly, had those omitted). With Nickleby the translation issue was pretty much the other way around: the finnish translation was so excellent I liked it for the most part (although I loathed the ending so much it turned me away from Dickens for a long time) but when I read it in english it felt disappointing. I liked the comedy in it, in particular the delicious satire concerning certain Mr. Gregsbury (who never reappears outside of this short scene, what a waste of a great character!):

'This is all very well, Mr. Nickleby, and very proper, so far as it goes—so far as it goes, but it doesn't go far enough. There are other duties, Mr Nickleby, which a secretary to a parliamentary gentleman must never lose sight of. I should require to be crammed, sir.'
'I beg your pardon,' interposed Nicholas, doubtful whether he had heard aright.
'—To be crammed, sir,' repeated Mr. Gregsbury.
'May I beg your pardon again, if I inquire what you mean, sir?' said Nicholas.
'My meaning, sir, is perfectly plain,' replied Mr. Gregsbury with a solemn aspect. 'My secretary would have to make himself master of the foreign policy of the world, as it is mirrored in the newspapers; to run his eye over all accounts of public meetings, all leading articles, and accounts of the proceedings of public bodies; and to make notes of anything which it appeared to him might be made a point of, in any little speech upon the question of some petition lying on the table, or anything of that kind. Do you understand?'
'I think I do, sir,' replied Nicholas.
'Then,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'it would be necessary for him to make himself acquainted, from day to day, with newspaper paragraphs on passing events; such as "Mysterious disappearance, and supposed suicide of a potboy," or anything of that sort, upon which I might found a question to the Secretary of State for the Home Department. Then, he would have to copy the question, and as much as I remembered of the answer (including a little compliment about independence and good sense); and to send the manuscript in a frank to the local paper, with perhaps half-a-dozen lines of leader, to the effect, that I was always to be found in my place in parliament, and never shrunk from the responsible and arduous duties, and so forth. You see?'
Nicholas bowed.
'Besides which,' continued Mr. Gregsbury, 'I should expect him, now and then, to go through a few figures in the printed tables, and to pick out a few results, so that I might come out pretty well on timber duty questions, and finance questions, and so on; and I should like him to get up a few little arguments about the disastrous effects of a return to cash payments and a metallic currency, with a touch now and then about the exportation of bullion, and the Emperor of Russia, and bank notes, and all that kind of thing, which it's only necessary to talk fluently about, because nobody understands it. Do you take me?'
'I think I understand,' said Nicholas.
'With regard to such questions as are not political,' continued Mr Gregsbury, warming; 'and which one can't be expected to care a curse about, beyond the natural care of not allowing inferior people to be as well off as ourselves—else where are our privileges?—I should wish my secretary to get together a few little flourishing speeches, of a patriotic cast. For instance, if any preposterous bill were brought forward, for giving poor grubbing devils of authors a right to their own property, I should like to say, that I for one would never consent to opposing an insurmountable bar to the diffusion of literature among the people,—you understand?—that the creations of the pocket, being man's, might belong to one man, or one family; but that the creations of the brain, being God's, ought as a matter of course to belong to the people at large—and if I was pleasantly disposed, I should like to make a joke about posterity, and say that those who wrote for posterity should be content to be rewarded by the approbation of posterity; it might take with the house, and could never do me any harm, because posterity can't be expected to know anything about me or my jokes either—do you see?'
'I see that, sir,' replied Nicholas.
'You must always bear in mind, in such cases as this, where our interests are not affected,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'to put it very strong about the people, because it comes out very well at election-time; and you could be as funny as you liked about the authors; because I believe the greater part of them live in lodgings, and are not voters. This is a hasty outline of the chief things you'd have to do, except waiting in the lobby every night, in case I forgot anything, and should want fresh cramming; and, now and then, during great debates, sitting in the front row of the gallery, and saying to the people about—'You see that gentleman, with his hand to his face, and his arm twisted round the pillar—that's Mr Gregsbury—the celebrated Mr. Gregsbury,'—with any other little eulogium that might strike you at the moment. And for salary,' said Mr Gregsbury, winding up with great rapidity; for he was out of breath—'and for salary, I don't mind saying at once in round numbers, to prevent any dissatisfaction—though it's more than I've been accustomed to give—fifteen shillings a week, and find yourself. There!'

Other than this, the monstrous schoolmaster Squeers and lovable rascal Mr. Mantalini are very enjoyable, and Ralph Nickleby, despite some cardboard cutout-features, has certain charm in him. Same goes to often dismissed Sir Mulberry Hawk and his dupe, Lord Frederick Verisopht. Someone would add Kenwigses to that list, but I found them rather annoying. The one benevolent character in the book that was written enjoyably was John Browdie. Mrs Nickleby is a great comedic creation, although considering it was based on Dickens's own mother, it felt rather cruel. Nickleby's plot is awful.

Bleak House, Martin Chuzzlewit, Pickwick and Edwin Drood, I cannot review yet, not having read them.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Bogey

So far, Copperfield is at the top of my list for the novels.  Great Expectations and Nickleby are next, with Tale of Two Cities.  I still have much to read before making a solid favorite list.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Members of the GMG Pickwick Club to date.  If you would like me to edit your name in some fashion or removed, just drop me a message.  (Names are listed in order of first posting.)

Bogey (Bill)
Karl
aligreto
Archaic Torso of Apollo
Alberich
mc ukrneal (Neal)
Elgarian (Alan)
Jeffrey Smith
Florestan (Andrei)
-abe-

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Bogey on August 03, 2015, 02:09:37 PM
So far, Copperfield is at the top of my list for the novels.  Great Expectations and Nickleby are next, with Tale of Two Cities.  I still have much to read before making a solid favorite list.

When comparing Great Expectations and Copperfield, I think Copperfield has better characters but Great expectations maybe has better structure as a book itself and more fully realized plot. It often bounces back and forth which one I like more. Currently it's Copperfield.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

"Wery queer life is a pike-keeper's, sir."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Elgarian

Quote from: Bogey on August 03, 2015, 02:11:28 PM
Members of the GMG Pickwick Club to date.  If you would like me to edit your name in some fashion or removed, just drop me a message.  (Names are listed in order of first posting.)

Bogey (Bill)
Karl
aligreto
Archaic Torso of Apollo
Alberich
mc ukrneal (Neil)
Elgarian (Alan)
Jeffrey Smith

What illustrious company. Gentlemen, may I propose:

That the Corresponding Society of the GMG Pickwick Club is therefore hereby constituted; and that Bogey (Bill), Karl, aligreto, Archaic Torso of Apollo, Alberich, mc ukrneal (Neil), Elgarian (Alan), and Jeffrey Smith [together with any others who shall hereafter be named], are hereby nominated and appointed members of the same; and that they be requested to forward, from time to time, authenticated accounts of their journeys and investigations, of their observations of character and manners, and of the whole of their adventures, together with all tales and papers to which local scenery or associations may give rise, to the GMG Pickwick Club.

Florestan

To: The Corresponding Society of the GMG Pickwick Club

Well born, most highly respected Sirs!

The constitution of your society having come to my attention as of late, I hereby express my modest but ardent desire to join your most illustrious company; and I sincerely trust that my having read and enjoyed several Charles Dickens´ works, viz. Nicholas Nickleby, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, The Great Expectations, A Christmas Carol (and its accompanying stories), and holding A Tale of Two Cities in the most high esteem as my favorite production of the aforementioned gentleman, will be enough of a credential for my humble request to be granted and my nomination as a member of your most learned club to be approved.

Meanwhile I remain, Sirs, most respectfully,

Your most obedient servant,

Florestan (Andrei)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Bogey

Quote from: Florestan on August 05, 2015, 03:34:53 AM

The constitution of your society having come to my attention as of late, I hereby express my modest but ardent desire to join your most illustrious company; and I sincerely trust that my having read and enjoyed several Charles Dickens´ works, viz. Nicholas Nickleby, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, The Great Expectations, A Christmas Carol (and its accompanying stories), and holding A Tale of Two Cities in the most high esteem as my favorite production of the aforementioned gentleman, will be enough of a credential for my humble request to be granted and my nomination as a member of your most learned club to be approved.

Florestan (Andrei)

Seeing that the bylaws (which we can make up on a whim to encourage participation on this thread, change if it encourages said participation, interpret freely to encourage the said said participation, etc, etc.) indicates that any person that submits a post on this page or requests to be a member in writing, in a text, through email, by telegraph, via a cheerful shout etc., etc. will be submitted into the Pickwick Club without hesitation.

Welcome aboard Andrei!

Jaakko Keskinen

- Victor Hugo

Jaakko Keskinen

Dickens has great satire and psychological understanding in Little Dorrit surrounding certain Mr. Merdle.

"This great and fortunate man had provided that extensive bosom which required so much room to be unfeeling enough in, with a nest of crimson and gold some fifteen years before. It was not a bosom to repose upon, but it was a capital bosom to hang jewels upon. Mr Merdle wanted something to hang jewels upon, and he bought it for the purpose. Storr and Mortimer might have married on the same speculation."

"Let Mrs Merdle announce, with all her might, that she was at Home ever so many nights in a season, she could not announce more widely and unmistakably than Mr Merdle did that he was never at home."

"Mr Merdle's words had been, that if they could have made it worth his while to take the whole Government he would have took it without a profit, but that take it he could not and stand a loss. That how it was not to be expected, ma'am, that he should lose by it, his ways being, as you might say and utter no falsehood, paved with gold; but that how it was much to be regretted that something handsome hadn't been got up to make it worth his while; for it was such and only such that knowed the heighth to which the bread and butchers' meat had rose, and it was such and only such that both could and would bring that heighth down."

"Waters of vexation filled her eyes; and they had the effect of making the famous Mr Merdle, in going down the street, appear to leap, and waltz, and gyrate, as if he were possessed of several Devils."

"The next man who has as large a capacity and as genuine a taste for swindling, will succeed as well. Pardon me, but I think you really have no idea how the human bees will swarm to the beating of any old tin kettle; in that fact lies the complete manual of governing them. When they can be got to believe that the kettle is made of the precious metals, in that fact lies the whole power of men like our late lamented."

- Victor Hugo

aligreto

Quote from: Elgarian on August 05, 2015, 12:55:25 AM
What illustrious company. Gentlemen, may I propose:

That the Corresponding Society of the GMG Pickwick Club is therefore hereby constituted; and that Bogey (Bill), Karl, aligreto, Archaic Torso of Apollo, Alberich, mc ukrneal (Neil), Elgarian (Alan), and Jeffrey Smith [together with any others who shall hereafter be named], are hereby nominated and appointed members of the same; and that they be requested to forward, from time to time, authenticated accounts of their journeys and investigations, of their observations of character and manners, and of the whole of their adventures, together with all tales and papers to which local scenery or associations may give rise, to the GMG Pickwick Club.

Honoured and delighted Sir!

aligreto

Florestan (Andrei)

You are most welcome to our illustrious club kind Sir!

Elgarian

Florestan (Andrei)

What a noble addition to our ranks. Now the GMG Pickwick Club may have Great Expectations indeed.

kishnevi

My word!  I now realize I have never read Little Dorrit, which is why I never took special note of a certain great English detective's mode of transport.

Bogey

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 05, 2015, 06:40:54 PM
My word!  I now realize I have never read Little Dorrit, which is why I never took special note of a certain great English detective's mode of transport.

Your post led me to a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang connection as well.  1908 Hutton 'Little Dorrit'!

aligreto

I herewith submit to the GMG Pickwick Club for their perusal and approval my first account of a singular discovery. This accidental yet fortuitous discovery took place as I ambled with my beloved spouse along the shoreline of a local cove. It was, up to that point, an uneventful day, the elements being rather favourable and the highlight thereto having been an appetizing luncheon which was had at a local hostlery. Whilst we ambled along this shingle cove my attention was suddenly  arrested and attracted to a particularly interesting stone which lay directly in my path.

Now I do not mean to draw any analogy between this and a similar discovery once famously and historically documented by our beloved Mr. Pickwick but the relevant incidences do seem to be on a parallel and, like our beloved leader, I am convinced that I have stumbled upon a most important discovery, a pictorial representation of which now follows...

As you will no doubt observe, my fellow Pickwickians, this is no ordinary stone. Indeed my good Sirs, it is a unique and remarkable stone! One cannot but be amazed at the unique and splendid markings inscribed thereon. However I am at a singular loss to identify or explain the cryptic message encoded on the surface of said exhibit. What is its origin? What is its meaning? What possible interpretation can we possibly ascribe to this engraving? Indeed I cannot ascertain whether it is indeed a hieroglyph or the representation of a visage.

I am advised by my learned colleagues at a local level that this unique specimen is of such importance that it should be immediately donated to a scientific institution for further and immediate examination and with this sagacious proposal I am inclined to agree. However, prior to undertaking any such action I would endeavour to elicit the thoughts and proposals of our esteemed and erudite membership with the intention of verifying that the proposed action is not only appropriate but also wise, for who knows what the subsequent consequences may be.

Karl Henning

Without wishing to detract in the least from the singular and indeed momentous discovery of our illustrious fellow member, it occurs to me that if I were to describe a day with my beloved spouse as uneventful until finding a rock, I should (and with a perhaps unwonted rapidity) become a divorcé.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: karlhenning on August 08, 2015, 06:54:16 AM
Without wishing to detract in the least from the singular and indeed momentous discovery of our illustrious fellow member, it occurs to me that if I were to describe a day with my beloved spouse as uneventful until finding a rock, I should (and with a perhaps unwonted rapidity) become a divorcé.

My illustrious colleague's point is indeed very well taken and I am indeed most repentant for the unfortunate turn of phrase. My only excuse is that my thinking was much clouded by my momentous discovery and the need to report such with the utmost urgency and rapidity.
Perhaps it would indeed be beneficial to my marital status if I did not expose my beloved spouse to this particular detail of my missive to the GMG Pickwick Club.