The GMG Pickwick Club

Started by Bogey, July 17, 2015, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

I move we send a bouquet to the esteemed member's well-loved spouse.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Quote from: karlhenning on August 08, 2015, 07:38:44 AM
I move we send a bouquet to the esteemed member's well-loved spouse.

Wonderful Karl!!  8)  :laugh:  :laugh:

Elgarian

Quote from: aligreto on August 08, 2015, 06:44:38 AM
I herewith submit to the GMG Pickwick Club for their perusal and approval my first account of a singular discovery. This accidental yet fortuitous discovery took place as I ambled with my beloved spouse along the shoreline of a local cove. It was, up to that point, an uneventful day, the elements being rather favourable and the highlight thereto having been an appetizing luncheon which was had at a local hostlery. Whilst we ambled along this shingle cove my attention was suddenly  arrested and attracted to a particularly interesting stone which lay directly in my path.

Now I do not mean to draw any analogy between this and a similar discovery once famously and historically documented by our beloved Mr. Pickwick but the relevant incidences do seem to be on a parallel and, like our beloved leader, I am convinced that I have stumbled upon a most important discovery, a pictorial representation of which now follows...

As you will no doubt observe, my fellow Pickwickians, this is no ordinary stone. Indeed my good Sirs, it is a unique and remarkable stone! One cannot but be amazed at the unique and splendid markings inscribed thereon. However I am at a singular loss to identify or explain the cryptic message encoded on the surface of said exhibit. What is its origin? What is its meaning? What possible interpretation can we possibly ascribe to this engraving? Indeed I cannot ascertain whether it is indeed a hieroglyph or the representation of a visage.

I am advised by my learned colleagues at a local level that this unique specimen is of such importance that it should be immediately donated to a scientific institution for further and immediate examination and with this sagacious proposal I am inclined to agree. However, prior to undertaking any such action I would endeavour to elicit the thoughts and proposals of our esteemed and erudite membership with the intention of verifying that the proposed action is not only appropriate but also wise, for who knows what the subsequent consequences may be.

Sir, I suggest that the Opinion of The British Museum should be sought immediately. It is surely worthy of being exhibited alongside the Rosetta Stone, and indeed, may well supercede it as a prime Source of Wonderment.

Bogey

It seems to almost eminate powers unknown.  I should say that members of the Ghost Club should be consulted immediately.  One can never be sure of its true origin!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

aligreto

Quote from: Bogey on August 09, 2015, 08:06:10 AM
It seems to almost eminate powers unknown.  I should say that members of the Ghost Club should be consulted immediately.  One can never be sure of its true origins!

This, Sir, was my initial cause for reservation and concern! However, perhaps to elicit a consultation from the revered establishment duly named above by an honourable member may perhaps throw some light on the origins of the exhibit. However, as another honourable member has pointed out, perhaps we do not want to bring the exhibit into proximity or indeed collusion with another source for fear of unknown consequences.
Gentlemen all, more ruminating needs to be employed prior to proceeding one step further.

Bogey

I continue my journey through Bleak House.  Have just sat down to lunch with Guppy, Joblings and Smallweed.  I'm only missing a copy of the London Times to complete my afternoon.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Had a moment and thought I would raise an afternoon cup of coffee to all of you in a moment of kind deportment. 

Bogey

If you have not made a visit to David Perdue's web site on Dickens, then I recommend that you take a self-guided tour.  Not only is it set up in an easy to navigate fashion, but the information there is wonderful. 

http://charlesdickenspage.com/index.html

For example:

Another factor contributing to Dickens meteoric rise in popularity was the way in which he and his publishers, Chapman and Hall, chose to publish his books. All of Dickens major novels were published serially, in monthly (or weekly) installments. A full length novel was out of the price range of most of his readers ( a novel cost 31 shillings in 1836, average worker earned 6 to 20 shillings per week) but a monthly installment, 32 pages with 2 illustrations and advertisements, could be sold for a shilling.

Also, take time to read about David as well. 

http://charlesdickenspage.com/faq_email.html

aligreto

Quote from: Bogey on August 16, 2015, 10:07:08 AM
If you have not made a visit to David Perdue's web site on Dickens, then I recommend that you take a self-guided tour.  Not only is it set up in an easy to navigate fashion, but the information their is wonderful. 

http://charlesdickenspage.com/index.html

For example:

Another factor contributing to Dickens meteoric rise in popularity was the way in which he and his publishers, Chapman and Hall, chose to publish his books. All of Dickens major novels were published serially, in monthly (or weekly) installments. A full length novel was out of the price range of most of his readers ( a novel cost 31 shillings in 1836, average worker earned 6 to 20 shillings per week) but a monthly installment, 32 pages with 2 illustrations and advertisements, could be sold for a shilling.

Also, take time to read about David as well. 

http://charlesdickenspage.com/faq_email.html

Thank you for the link; I will investigate in due course.  8)

Elgarian

Quote from: Bogey on August 16, 2015, 09:53:11 AM
Had a moment and thought I would raise an afternoon cup of coffee to all of you in a moment of kind deportment.

Aye, Sir, I'll gladly join you in a cup, and thank y'kindly.

There is a rumour that Snodgrass is composing an epic Ode to a Dewdrop, and is currently halfway through his 100th page of script. Winkle I believe to be recovering from a broken leg, which ailment he incurred while attempting to mount a horse, and falling off the other side in the process. Tupman is In Love again. Mr Pickwick was last observed near a Hampstead pond, carrying a net and a large preserves jar.

lisa needs braces

Big Dickens fan.

Dickens novels read:

Oliver Twist
Nicholous Nickleby
A Christmas Carol
Martin Chuzzlewit
Dombey and Son (did not like this one!)
Hard Times
David Copperfield
Bleak House
A Tale of Two Cities
Great Expectations

I avoided reading The Old Curiosity Shop and Barnaby Rudge because they were considered the lesser of his works, though I wish I had also not bothered with "Dombey and Son" which I simply didn't like. The rest of the works I've read range from good to excellent. And too much video-game/internet nonsense has kept me from completing the last two of his novels I've intended to read -- "Little Dorrit" and "Our Mutual Friend."

I love most of the above novels as all time great reads. I experienced Great Expectations purely as an audiobook and it was a captivating experience. Unfortunately I forget who the reader was -- it was either Martin Jarvis or Simon Vance!

All time favorite Dickens experience? Perhaps my second reading of Bleak House, likely his magnum opus.

lisa needs braces

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no_elVGGgW8

;D

Bogey

It will be interesting to see where I rate Bleak House when I have finished it.  It will be difficult to beat out Copperfield, but has a chance of trumping the others. 

And welcome to the club -abe-!

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: -abe- on August 16, 2015, 01:53:05 PM
I avoided reading The Old Curiosity Shop and Barnaby Rudge because they were considered the lesser of his works

I recommend them. They are probably his most underrated novels and definitely worth a read. There was actually a time when Barnaby was my favorite Dickens novel of all time.

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: -abe- on August 16, 2015, 01:53:05 PM
And too much video-game/internet nonsense has kept me from completing the last two of his novels I've intended to read -- "Little Dorrit" and "Our Mutual Friend."

Read them. Now.  $:)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Elgarian

I realise I haven't made a clear statement of Dickensian commitment, so here goes:

Pickwick comes top of the pile by a huge distance.
Tale of Two Cities kept me up all night when I was living in a bedsit 45 years ago.
Great Expectations grabbed me enough to make me seek out the 'old forge' that had partly inspired the tale.

Honourable mentions to:
David Copperfield
Christmas Carol
Oliver Twist
Old Curiosity Shop

Have started others (Nickleby, Chuzzlewit) but never finished them.

Elgarian

It was the best of times, it was the wurst of times ...

Karl Henning

Knack it off, brat!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jaakko Keskinen

Ironic how I'm part of the Pickwick club, yet I never have actually read Pickwick all the way through. :P After having finished re-reading Dombey and Copperfield in english (much more enjoyable that way), I'll perhaps give it a try.

Btw, Christmas carol technically isn't a novel... not that this fact diminishes its value in any way.  0:) Apart from Carol, Dickens's best Christmas stories are Dr. Marigold and Wreck of the golden Mary, IMO.

- Victor Hugo

Karl Henning

Quote from: Alberich on August 17, 2015, 04:44:56 AM
Ironic how I'm part of the Pickwick club, yet I never have actually read Pickwick all the way through. :P

I'm still working on it.  The fact that both Alan and my dear brother Kurt think so highly of it, is keeping me on task.  Or, would, if these bits of music did not demand that I write them (cf. Evil plans don't hatch themselves).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA