What, if any effect have Facebook/Social Media had on activity on GMG?

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, July 27, 2015, 12:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

I belong to several internet discussion forums, and these (incl. GMG) all seem to have grown or at least maintained their membership/activity levels in recent years. I have recently joined some audio and watch forums, and these too are huge.

Personally, for a variety of reasons, I have no interest in joining FB as an individual (I do have a "public figure" page), and find these types of forums much better suited to my preferences.

On one forum however, members have been steadily vanishing and activity declining over the past four or five years. "Everyone's on Facebook! Get with the program!", we are told. Some even go as far as to say that FB is the future of special interest/hobby online communities, and that discussion forums are going the way of the dinosaur. Based on activity here and other forums I frequent, I am very skeptical of this claim. Any thoughts?
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Though I've a personal page on Faceboo (sic), mostly for keeping tabs on relatives, I do not see it as the be and end-all for special interest groups or forums such as GMG.  In fact, far from it, unless FB suddenly becomes way more sophisticated than it is.  I'm perennially amazed at what some special interest sites offer members, Ravelry for knitters, for example.  My wife is an avid knitter and she is constantly on it - and with good reason.  Its designers are geniuses; comparatively, Zuckerberg is a slacker.  http://www.ravelry.com/about

Brian

I actually agree: Facebook and Twitter, etc., have had very little impact on discussion forums. I think there was a time when people tried to use Facebook Groups as discussion boards, but the interface is too unwieldy and irritating, and also, I think people like being able to post anonymously or under customized identities.

I am Facebook "friends" with a few GMGers, but otherwise there has been no change in my activities at the three discussion forums I visit regularly.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Brian on July 27, 2015, 01:33:56 PM
I think there was a time when people tried to use Facebook Groups as discussion boards, but the interface is too unwieldy and irritating, and also, I think people like being able to post anonymously or under customized identities.

Yeah, I agree with this. I don't do much on Facebook generally. Not only is the interface unattractive, I also think it's a big waste of time.

There is a classical music discussion group, but I rarely post there as I much prefer GMG. I also hate their name, "Pretentious Classical Music Elitists." OK, I know it's supposed to be a joke or ironic, but it's kind of irritating.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

jochanaan

I spend a fair amount of time on Facebook, and on Twitter and Google Plus.  However, I prefer to come here for serious musical discussions.  It's not always a good thing for everybody and her brother to be able to comment on such esoteric fare as twelve-tone music. ::)
Imagination + discipline = creativity