Hell,.. the Lake of Fire,... brrrrrr...Your Thoughts

Started by snyprrr, July 21, 2015, 04:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: drogulus on July 24, 2015, 11:58:16 AM
     Just think off all the trouble Einstein could have saved himself if his direct experience of the truth of relativity meant he didn't have to make arguments supporting his claim.

My assertion is there's no reason to think it does, and ample reason to think it's as hoaxy as it looks. As for your experience providing proof, you give me ample reason, in part by ignoring my question but mostly by the incoherence of the "true by belief" architecture, to doubt you have any idea what your experience means. You jumped to an implausible conclusion and don't care, as it serves your belief. Neither evidence nor the lack of it shakes you. You are not a reliable witness.

The faith based nature of your belief is evidenced in that last paragraph, since you have no knowledge of what my experience was/is, or why I draw the conclusion I did from it.  You merely dismiss out of hand, because you have an a priori belief that God does not exist.

drogulus

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 24, 2015, 12:15:07 PM
The faith based nature of your belief is evidenced in that last paragraph, since you have no knowledge of what my experience was/is, or why I draw the conclusion I did from it.  You merely dismiss out of hand, because you have an a priori belief that God does not exist.

Whose fault is that? You give preposterous testimony and blame the recipient for not finding some excuse to believe your assertion. I know people deceive themselves like this, and about many other "experiences" of similar nature. Can we do alien kidnappings next? If you want to be believed say believable things or restrict your intended audience to your majority of smiling nodders. I'd be embarassed to invoke such a low standard. Why aren't you?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

San Antone

Quote from: drogulus on July 24, 2015, 12:40:47 PM

Whose fault is that? You give preposterous testimony and blame the recipient for not finding some excuse to believe your assertion. I know people deceive themselves like this, and about many other "experiences" of similar nature. Can we do alien kidnappings next? If you want to be believed say believable things or restrict your intended audience to your majority of smiling nodders. I'd be embarassed to invoke such a low standard. Why aren't you?

The primary deception, of yours, that I note is that "Our knowledge of what's true comes from what we observe and the application of reason to it" accounts for everything that exists in our reality.

drogulus

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 24, 2015, 12:15:07 PM
The faith based nature of your belief is evidenced in that last paragraph

This is what I mean about the bullshitting of the faithy. Did you really mean to reveal your true opinion of "faith based" like this? What can I say but on this point you're right. By the same token my nonacceptance of your faithy standard can't be construed as faith-based, why that's silly "you too" style crap. You want to argue like that?

Quote from: sanantonio on July 24, 2015, 12:48:29 PM
The primary deception, of yours, that I note is that "Our knowledge of what's true comes from what we observe and the application of reason to it" accounts for everything that exists in our reality.

That's incoherent. What knowledge do you have about what we have no knowledge of that would justify you saying that to me? Do you have knowledge of what isn't known? Are you a divine wizard. or do you merely want to be taken for one?

OK, I'll play, you're a wizard. Your track record stinks by the way, so you may want to reconsider.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

kishnevi

Quote from: drogulus on July 24, 2015, 12:40:47 PM

I said I had a religious experience, and believe in God because of that. Nothing more than that.
You then dismiss it without knowing anything about it.  Faith based assertion.

Or are you saying I did not have a religious experience? Then you deny reality.

Your argument boils down to, I do not want to believe, so I will believe there is no evidence even though there is, and enough to make most of the human race decide God exists.

In fact, observing reality and deducing therefrom lead to the conclusion that it is a very rational thing to believe God exists.

drogulus

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 24, 2015, 01:28:55 PM
I said I had a religious experience, and believe in God because of that. Nothing more than that.
You then dismiss it without knowing anything about it.  Faith based assertion.

I don't deny the reality that people have experiences of the kind you had. You had it. What I'm saying is these experiences don't establish god entities or ghost entities or Pazuzu entities or Martian Bat-Rat-Spider entities (awesome as the latter are!) just because you leap to that explanation without bothering with more plausible ones first.

Anyway, as I pointed out before, what entitles you to faith-based assertions and not me? It's my rule that it violates, obviously not yours or you wouldn't violate it so recklessly.

drogulus

If faith based assertions are not valid why would anyone defend them against my (heh!) "faith-based" assertions that they're not?

All we need to cut this knot is for everyone to agree that the invalidity of faith based propositions/entities applies across the board, and that objecting to the faith based metric can't logically be itself faith based. Alles Klar? By golly we've done it! *

* Say hello to my lil' fren'

https://www.youtube.com/v/QzkBJA-Tlxw

The documentary above was a kind of religious experience for me. I hope I didn't leap to unwarranted conclusions concerning our otherworldly savior. Be fair now, isn't it just divine?!?

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 24, 2015, 01:28:55 PM
That was actually Lord Ubloobideega speaking to you. He misplaced the cheat code for the destruction of the universe and wanted you to go find it. Just ignore him.

Jo498

I do not think anyone claimed that scientific discoveries or theories (like Einstein's) could be gained by "pure intuition".
Rather, there is a body of knowledge like maths, logics and a few other very general principles (also of morals) that logically precede empirical knowledge. Until the 18th century most thinkers in most cultures believed that some "natural theology" also belonged to that kind of knowledge. It's not necessarily "innate"  but it can be established by reflection on very general features of the world we experience or on very general principles we need in any case to establish any knowledge at all. Therefore the core of such "metaphysical" knowledge is not to be understood as idle speculation, neither can it be in contradiction to empirical science.

But it cannot be "disproved" by empirical science as empirical science cannot disprove mathematics. It could merely show that a certain type of mathematical scheme would not be applicable to a certain domain of empirical nature but to argue for something like that the scientist would certainly have to use forms of logic (and probably also mathematics), therefore again has to presuppose the validity of some bits of non-empirical knowledge.

But it can probably be safely said that it is very hard to derive specific ideas about afterlife, punishments, karmic retributions etc. from general metaphysics or "natural theology" (unlike arguments for a "prime mover", "Absolute Being" or sth. like that). This was largely the domain of "revealed knowledge" and religious thinkers would try to show that it is compatible with the more general metaphysical framework that could be established from reason alone.

(For me as a layman it is also fascinating how unspecific and inconsistent e.g. the christian scriptures are with respect to "afterlife" etc. Most of the new testament is much more concerned with eschatology, i.e. the End of the World (as we know it) and the Kingdom of God was expected to come very soon and not the end of individual lives, immortal souls etc. It took a thousand years of theology to arrive at Dante's sophisticated model of hell, purgatory and heaven.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

drogulus

The tautologies of mathematics might be said to be tools rather than entities. Tools have use value, which is empirical. But I differ somewhat from other pragmatists, though not all, in my view that mathematics is as empirical in its origin as any use valued scheme can be. The logical priority of mathematics to empirical truth processes is less important than the fact that our counting bootstrapped us into mathematical knowledge. We counted, then developed rules from that.

To paraphrase the great philosopher Slim Charles, my pragmatism is always pragmatism, it just got more fierce!

https://www.youtube.com/v/XozWJgzgnT8

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jo498 on July 25, 2015, 12:33:35 AM
([...] It took a thousand years of theology to arrive at Dante's sophisticated model of hell, purgatory and heaven.)

Over-engineered, rather than sophisticated, I think  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jochanaan

Quote from: Purusha on July 24, 2015, 11:25:26 AM
My intelligence tells me that Beethoven is a greater artist than Britney Spears, and that murdering babies is wrong. Since reason had nothing to do with those realizations, than it means that intelligence cannot be reduced to reason alone, if intelligence is to mean anything....
Ah, but there is reason on your side, which is mine also.

1. The music of Beethoven is far more complex than that of Ms. Spears or her "handlers," and draws a more complex response from listeners who, on the whole, have greater experience with more kinds of music.

2.  Murdering babies tends toward the extinction of the species, or at least toward lessened vitality since it reduces the available genetic pool.

Quod erat demonstrat.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

drogulus

Quote from: jochanaan on July 27, 2015, 08:26:23 AM
Ah, but there is reason on your side, which is mine also.

1. The music of Beethoven is far more complex than that of Ms. Spears or her "handlers," and draws a more complex response from listeners who, on the whole, have greater experience with more kinds of music.

2.  Murdering babies tends toward the extinction of the species, or at least toward lessened vitality since it reduces the available genetic pool.

Quod erat demonstrat.

Yes, I agree. Values are not facts, but if they go willy nilly in denial of facts or take incoherent and obscure stances as a pseudo-foundation, so that we've presumed to be moral out of fear of an avenging monster, our values will decay from flawed attribution. Nothing is moral because a god made it so. That was the greatest thing Plato (as Socrates) was right about, ultimately only we can decide what's right. If murder is wrong can a god make it right? Plato destroyed that argument for eternity, good job!

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on July 21, 2015, 04:34:26 PM
Personally, I've been thinking about eternal torment a lot lately (and not only when I see Karl Posting in MY Threads!!),...

Somehow I missed this at first.

Thanks for the chuckle!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Murdering babies tends toward the extinction of the species, or at least toward lessened vitality since it reduces the available genetic pool.

CONSISTENT ATHEIST: So what? Who says that the conservation of the species or an increased vitality is good or should be promoted? After all, we come from nothingness and go into nothingness, so ultimately nothing that we do is of any importance whatsoever. Stalin is no worse than Mother Theresa, nor is St. Francis of Assisi any better than Ted Bundy.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

drogulus

People, experts on what they want, say they want an idea of goodness to govern them. It's true of atheists and theists alike. We decide, even if we try to offload it onto a fantasy it's our fantasy. Like Plato taught, his great lesson, there is no escape from this judgement, to a god or a computer or any outside authority. Morality is intrinsically Our Business.

jochanaan

Quote from: Florestan on July 27, 2015, 11:13:43 AM
CONSISTENT ATHEIST: So what? Who says that the conservation of the species or an increased vitality is good or should be promoted? After all, we come from nothingness and go into nothingness, so ultimately nothing that we do is of any importance whatsoever. Stalin is no worse than Mother Theresa, nor is St. Francis of Assisi any better than Ted Bundy.
Well, perhaps there is need for a few axioms whose self-evidence seems evident, if not to all, then to most...
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Karl Henning

1. The music of Beethoven is far more complex than that of Ms. Spears or her "handlers"  [...]

"I'd like to handle Ms. Spears, guv'nor."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: drogulus on July 27, 2015, 12:25:22 PM
     People, experts on what they want, say they want an idea of goodness to govern them. It's true of atheists and theists alike. We decide, even if we try to offload it onto a fantasy it's our fantasy. Like Plato taught, his great lesson, there is no escape from this judgement, to a god or a computer or any outside authority. Morality is intrinsically Our Business.

could you tell me where exactly this thread has gone....?.... I can't even keep up.... oy!!

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on July 28, 2015, 01:13:04 PM
could you tell me where exactly this thread has gone....?.... I can't even keep up.... oy!!

You know Ernie:  give him half a chance to bash people of faith, and he gladly demonstrates that atheists can be intolerant boors, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA