Guillaume Lekeu (1870 - 1894)

Started by Mirror Image, July 26, 2015, 06:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

Supposedly he died from typhus, but it could have been many things that present the same way. Short of a modern post-mortem, we'll never really know.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vers la flamme

I just got this:

... mostly for the Milhaud, but as it turns out, the two Lekeu songs for soprano and piano quintet are the standouts. They're both amazing!

Where to from here? I must confess I'm looking at the Ricercar box, but I don't know if it's wise to buy an 8-disc box on the strength of two five-minute works.

MusicTurner

I like that disc too ...

Most of his more ambitious chamber and piano works are great, likewise much of the orchestral music, IMO. Having collected various discs, I finally decided for the box you mention & am satisfied with it. He could have become a composer of major importance, no doubt, yet there are many fine works in spite of his short life.

T. D.

I bought the box some years ago based on just the Violin Sonata and have been happy with it.

André

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 18, 2020, 04:13:05 AM
I just got this:

... mostly for the Milhaud, but as it turns out, the two Lekeu songs for soprano and piano quintet are the standouts. They're both amazing!

Where to from here? I must confess I'm looking at the Ricercar box, but I don't know if it's wise to buy an 8-disc box on the strength of two five-minute works.

What are the songs in question ?

vers la flamme

Quote from: André on October 18, 2020, 11:51:35 AM
What are the songs in question ?

They are called Nocturne (words by Lekeu himself) and Fragment (words by one Jules Sauveniêre). Can't say I know much more than that.

André

Nocturne appears on this disc:

along with Sur une tombe and Ronde. The same three songs are also included in the Ricercar set. Never heard Fragment, though and it's not in the 8cd box. Nevertheless, I highly recommend splurging for it. But if one prefers to just sample Lekeu's music, the Harmonia Mundi disc pictured above is an excellent choice.