The Music Room > Composer Discussion

György Ligeti (1923-2006)

(1/94) > >>

Brewski:
One of my favorite composers, and hard to believe it's not even a year since his death. 

Next season Vladimir Jurowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra are presenting a concert of music used in Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey (except for the Brahms).  If anyone else has seen a program like this it would be interesting to know about it.  I don't recall ever hearing these two Ligeti works on the same program, much less coupled with the Strauss.

April 10, 11 and 12, 2008
The Philadelphia Orchestra
Vladimir Jurowski, conductor
Nikolaj Znaider, violin
The Philadelphia Singers Chorale (David Hayes, music director)

Ligeti: Atmosphères
Brahms: Violin Concerto
Ligeti: Lux Aeterna (for chorus)
Strauss: Also sprach Zarathustra

--Bruce

Harry:
I don't know what it is with me, but Ligeti is really hard for me to listen to.

Brewski:

--- Quote from: Joe Barron on April 06, 2007, 10:28:59 AM ---Well, this really isn't a recreation of the 2001 soundtrack, since it lacks both Litgeti's Requiem and The Blue Danube.

--- End quote ---

Ah, but there will no doubt be encores... ;D

--Bruce

Brewski:

--- Quote from: Harry on April 06, 2007, 10:31:16 AM ---I don't know what it is with me, but Ligeti is really hard for me to listen to.

--- End quote ---

Not to worry, Harry -- you listen to so many other composers that most people overlook!  With your interests, you have more breadth than many listeners.  

One of the reasons Ligeti was so revolutionary is that his musical ideas were so unusual.  Often his ideas are about texture, for example, rather than melody, so if you're in the mood for a "Straussian line" that's not what he offers.  For people who aren't familiar with the works in the film 2001 that brought him international attention, I would suggest that they begin with the Piano Etudes, which I think are pretty approachable on many levels.  If nothing else, they are diabolically difficult to play, and impressive just on that level alone.  

For example, you might enjoy Aimard's Ligeti encores on his Carnegie Hall recital CD, if you haven't heard it already.  The program includes the Berg Sonata, Beethoven's No. 23 "Appassionata," plus works by Liszt and Debussy.  

--Bruce

Brewski:

--- Quote from: Joe Barron on April 06, 2007, 10:38:26 AM ---The Philadelphia Orchestra never does encores.

--- End quote ---

Joe, I'm joking, I'm joking!  ;D  (Although the idea of someone -- anyone -- doing the Ligeti Requiem as an encore is putting a smile on my face.)

--Bruce

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version