György Ligeti (1923-2006)

Started by bhodges, April 06, 2007, 06:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qurasjovan and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mandryka

Entertaining documentary

https://www.youtube.com/v/4AhKWofVV0E&ab_channel=OmriAbram

He says that when he got to Cologne he was in the place where Stockhausen and Konig were working (41,22) Is he talking about Gottfried Michael Koenig, a new name for me.

http://koenigproject.nl/

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

staxomega

Listened to the Gielen Requiem, it's been ages since I've heard this, I forgot how dark as hell his interpretation is. The basses sound like they're from another planet.

Mirror Image

Quote from: hvbias on July 01, 2021, 06:52:59 AM
Listened to the Gielen Requiem, it's been ages since I've heard this, I forgot how dark as hell his interpretation is. The basses sound like they're from another planet.

I love that performance. Probably my favorite performance of all the ones I own, which is around 3 or 4.

vers la flamme

That's the one I have. I'll have to revisit it soon

steve ridgway

Thanks for mentioning this, I've found an MP3 on archive.org and it is indeed very nice. :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Prompted by another poster (believe that it was Todd) in the current listening thread, I've explored a couple of his pieces of his Musica ricercata with Aimard via youtube.  Nos. 1 and 7 so far.  I love that Aimard has posted videos of him playing them and also other educational videos about his music and how the compositions work and the effect, musical timing of the different themes creates certain effects and the "voices" and dimensions in there which I've found to be quite helpful and illuminating.   :)

Do other posters here have certain favorites of the M.R. that they would suggest that I check out early in my journey to listen to them?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 22, 2021, 10:14:00 AM
Prompted by another poster (believe that it was Todd) in the current listening thread, I've explored a couple of his pieces of his Musica ricercata with Aimard via youtube.  Nos. 1 and 7 so far.  I love that Aimard has posted videos of him playing them and also other educational videos about his music and how the compositions work and the effect, musical timing of the different themes creates certain effects and the "voices" and dimensions in there which I've found to be quite helpful and illuminating.   :)

Do other posters here have certain favorites of the M.R. that they would suggest that I check out early in my journey to listen to them?

PD

If you are inclined, give the ricercata a listen in order, starting at the beginning, only because Ligeti organized the little pieces in increasing order of pitch classes. (I don't know how I would choose a favorite; they're all quite interesting.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musica_ricercata

--Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brewski on November 23, 2021, 05:06:22 PM
If you are inclined, give the ricercata a listen in order, starting at the beginning, only because Ligeti organized the little pieces in increasing order of pitch classes. (I don't know how I would choose a favorite; they're all quite interesting.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musica_ricercata

--Bruce
Thank you for the information about them and the suggestion--will do!  :)

And hope that you have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

For Ligeti's 99th birthday, Atmosphères, from the Frankfurt Radio Symphony with Christoph Eschenbach. As seen elsewhere, "one of the most beautiful pieces ever written."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-bemE-bCXQ

--Bruce

Pizzicato-Polka

I started listening to the Sony Ligeti Masterworks box some time ago and so far, absolutely love the first CD (string quartets & duets). My favorite is Ballad and Dance for 2 violins.

Atmosphères and Lux Aeterna are amazing works too, the first piece is frankly frightening in its intensity, and the second - beautifully ethereal.

I'm excited to get to know more of his music!

staxomega

Quote from: Pizzicato-Polka on May 29, 2022, 12:32:26 PM
I started listening to the Sony Ligeti Masterworks box some time ago and so far, absolutely love the first CD (string quartets & duets). My favorite is Ballad and Dance for 2 violins.

Atmosphères and Lux Aeterna are amazing works too, the first piece is frankly frightening in its intensity, and the second - beautifully ethereal.

I'm excited to get to know more of his music!

Damn, enjoy! One of my favorite composers, and 20th C's giants :)

Brahmsian

Out of these two recordings, which one would you recommend?  Please, and thank you.  :)

5 disc set

4 disc set

DavidW

I recall liking both, and they complement each other.  I would say buy both if you can.  The first box doesn't have the etudes btw.  And the second doesn't have San Francisco Polyphony nor the Requiem.

Else I would go with individual releases if you can't pick up both boxes.

Brahmsian

Now cracking this open, to palate cleanse all the guitar twanging I've been listening to.  :D

Listened to Disc 1.  I particularly enjoyed both Wind Quintets.  And, looking back on several comments on this thread, I seem to be in the minority of preferring the 2nd String Quartet over the 1st.

Sonata for Solo Cello
6 Bagatelles for Wind Quintet
String Quartet No. 1 "Metamorphoese Nocturnes"
10 Pieces for Wind Quintet
String Quartet No. 2

Franco_Manitobain

Just a reminder that Ligeti's 100th Birthday is occurring this month, on May 28th.  :)

Listening to disc 5 of this set (boy I really enjoyed Artikulation!)  What an ear treat!!  :D

Maestro267

I need to have a proper dive into that box.

brewski

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on May 09, 2023, 12:06:55 PMJust a reminder that Ligeti's 100th Birthday is occurring this month, on May 28th.  :)

Thanks for the date reminder! I forgot to add it to the calendar, and since it will be a Sunday—a perfect day for either or both of these two productions of Le Grand Macabre. The Gilbert version looks like the same one he did in New York awhile back, staged by Doug Fitch, with Anthony Roth Costanzo reprising his hilarious turn as Prince Go-Go.

-Bruce

La Fura dels Baus

Alan Gilbert and the NDR Elbphilharmonie

"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

brewski

Searching for concerts celebrating the big birthday on Sunday, I found this one (audio only, scroll down) from April 4 of this year, with Péter Eötvös and Klangforum Wien in Heidelberg. Dipping in now, but may have to finish later, since the program is just too juicy.

György Ligeti (1923-2006)
Chamber concert for 13 instrumentalists
Concerto for violin and orchestra
Concerto for cello and orchestra
Concerto for piano and orchestra

Barnabás Kelemen, violin
László Fenyõ, cello
Zoltán Fejérvári, piano
Klangforum Wien
direction: Péter Eötvös

-Bruce

brewski

And one more option, HERE, for the big Ligeti birthday tomorrow:

Stefan Geiger, conductor
NDR Youth Symphony Orchestra
Wind Quintet of the NDR Elbphilharmonie Orchestra

Ligeti:
Poème Symphonique for 100 Metronomes 
Six Bagatelles for Wind Quintet
Concert Românesc

Bartók:
Concerto for Orchestra

Encore:
Khachaturian: Waltz from "Maskerade Suite"

-Bruce

Brian

Not available for streaming yet, but this weekend the Dallas Symphony is also pairing Concert romanesc with the Bartok concerto (under Jaime Martín).