The Music Room > Composer Discussion

György Ligeti (1923-2006)

<< < (2/94) > >>

Harry:

--- Quote from: bhodges on April 06, 2007, 10:40:57 AM ---Not to worry, Harry -- you listen to so many other composers that most people overlook!  With your interests, you have more breadth than many listeners.  

One of the reasons Ligeti was so revolutionary is that his musical ideas were so unusual.  Often his ideas are about texture, for example, rather than melody, so if you're in the mood for a "Straussian line" that's not what he offers.  For people who aren't familiar with the works in 2001 that brought him international attention, I would suggest that they begin with the Piano Etudes, which I think are pretty approachable on many levels.  If nothing else, they are diabolically difficult to play, and impressive just on that level alone.  

For example, you might enjoy Aimard's Ligeti encores on his Carnegie Hall recital CD, if you haven't heard it already.  The program includes the Berg Sonata, Beethoven's No. 23 "Appassionata," plus works by Liszt and Debussy.  

--Bruce

--- End quote ---

Well I can certainly try!
Thanks Bruce.

Symphonien:
Cool program there Bruce.

Well so far I've only heard his Lontano, Atmosphères, Apparitions, San Francisco Polyphony and Concert Românesc. And enjoyed it all! I'm certainly interested in discovering his piano etudes, concerti and requiem in the future.

The thing I find fascinating about Ligeti is what Bruce mentioned, the textures. It's so interesting the sounds that he produces through such massed orchestral forces. The liner notes in Ligeti Project II contain an extract from Lontano and the score has so many staves! To think how much work it would have taken to write all of that out by hand and how Ligeti was able to imagine how it would all sound in his head is simply amazing. He produces some fascinating sonorities too - there are parts in Lontano that I swear resemble electronic music. How he manages to do this with an orchestra is astounding...

toledobass:

--- Quote from: bhodges on April 06, 2007, 10:41:58 AM ---Joe, I'm joking, I'm joking!  ;D  (Although the idea of someone -- anyone -- doing the Ligeti Requiem as an encore is putting a smile on my face.)

--Bruce

--- End quote ---

LMAO.....if that were to happen,  somewhere a parallel universe would implode.

Allan

facehugger:
they should have done the kodaly instead of the brahms

neat programme though

karlhenning:

--- Quote from: Harry on April 06, 2007, 10:31:16 AM ---I don't know what it is with me, but Ligeti is really hard for me to listen to.

--- End quote ---

Originally, I had planned to go to Symphony tonight, for the following program:

Ligeti, Atmosphères
Wagner, Prelude to Act I of Lohengrin
Bartók, Piano Concerto No. 2
Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 4 in F Minor

But I made those plans without reckoning on when Easter falls this year, and since I am required at a service at St Paul's this evening, I had to select another concert.

The good news, though, is that I learnt last night that my friend Drew, a second-year (I think) student at Berklee, made it to Thursday night's concert.  (Drew is studying composition, and he wants to write music for video games, among other things.)  Apart from the Tchaikovsky, all the program was new to him;  and it was infectious to hear how excited he was about all four pieces on the concert.

But he was especially overwhelmed by Atmosphères.

It's just a pity you're not in Boston this weekend, Harry!  I wonder if simply experiencing the piece played well, in the space, would not 'unlock' it for you, mijn vriend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version