György Ligeti (1923-2006)

Started by bhodges, April 06, 2007, 06:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

Quote from: paulb on February 12, 2008, 09:19:50 AM
This youtube clip is poor transfer, this sq is actuallly pretty good.
Of the 6 cds I've heard of Ligeti, this q is the only think i like.
thats not to say i will order this Naxos. I may order the sq's in the future, I do not know.
Its possible.
I do hear alot of influence from Bartok and Shostakovich.
though i admit this sq is pretty good, his most creative effort i do believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f9ugcGqJoQ&feature=related

poor transfer, stops all along the way.

Nevermind, you haven't and probably aren't going to answer my question.

Allan

George

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on February 12, 2008, 09:23:37 AM
hm, i didn't know they had Ligeti's SQ on youtube.
I looked it up, and wow! that is some seriously good stuff!

Arditti knocks them out of the park on their Sony CD.

Josquin des Prez

Personally i was never impressed by the first string quartet nor by the musica ricercata. They are early works and not important ones. The second string quartet and the late piano miniatures are the real masterpieces.

paulb

Quote from: toledobass on February 12, 2008, 09:36:13 AM
Nevermind, you haven't and probably aren't going to answer my question.

Allan

Well let me ask you, what's SO GREAT about Ligeti's music?
You answer me.

read prez's comment above.
"1st sq, nothing great"

But what do i know, some told me that Tippett is good music, the problem is me. So what do i know?
nothing!

Sir Michael Tippett, composer.

karlhenning

Quote from: paulb on February 12, 2008, 10:07:52 AM
"1st sq, nothing great"

Paul, read prez's comment above:

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on February 12, 2008, 10:00:10 AM
Personally i was never impressed by the first string quartet nor by the musica ricercata. They are early works and not important ones.

So, you want us to dismiss all Pettersson because one could easily say that his early works are not important?

paulb

Quote from: karlhenning on February 12, 2008, 10:16:22 AM
Paul, read prez's comment above:

So, you want us to dismiss all Pettersson because one could easily say that his early works are not important?

what i am saying is if I get the sq's , and find too much Bartok and Shostakovich there, I might find that i reach more often for either, and rarely for Ligeti.
I can't take buying stuff that is not for me.
Ligeti so far has not worked.
There is something wrong with me, the music is fine.
I'll stick with Bartok's 6 sq's, thanks.

toledobass

Quote from: paulb on February 12, 2008, 10:07:52 AM
Well let me ask you, what's SO GREAT about Ligeti's music?
You answer me.

"1st sq, nothing great"

But what do i know, some told me that Tippett is good music, the problem is me. So what do i know?
nothing!

Sir Michael Tippett, composer.

Paul,
You made a statement implying that Ligeti could never reach any creative depth.  I'm trying to understand your point of view here.  My view of Ligeti has nothing to do with any of your statement.

Allan

paulb

Here go read all the hype rom 15 Ligeti devotees on amazon. all give 5 stars,
FOR A CD WHICH HAS ONLY ONE WORK WORTH LISTENING, THE 2ND SQ TIMED AT 19 MINUTES

so you want me to buy a  cd for 19 minutes worth of music??
Get out of here.
The 6+ cds i 've heard from Ligeti were all bunk
Pump him if you care.
I'll have nothing to do with a  composer who is pumped, with very little to offer. 8)

http://www.amazon.com/Gy%C3%B6rgy-Ligeti-Quartets-Arditti-Quartet/dp/B0000029OY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202844136&sr=1-1

paulb

that really gets on my nerves ,w hen people pump composers who offer very little real substance.
Its the sign of the times we live in.

karlhenning

Quote from: paulb on February 12, 2008, 10:31:10 AM
that really gets on my nerves, when people pump composers who offer very little real substance.

My ears find more substance in Ligeti than in Pettersson, Paul.

paulb

Quote from: karlhenning on February 12, 2008, 10:42:06 AM
My ears find more substance in Ligeti than in Pettersson, Paul.

well goody goody for you ;D

and that comes as no surprise at all. ;)

karlhenning

But we understand if Ligeti is too modern for you, Paul.  The cozy Romanticism of Pettersson is a lot safer  8)

bhodges

I think the first quartet is well worth hearing.  Granted, it's not representative of his mature style, but I like what edward here wrote, suggesting it might be the closest thing we have to a seventh Bartók string quartet.  In my mind, that can only be a good thing, and one question could be: would you rather have it available for listening, or not?  I'd vote for the former.  

This is the same question I ask when considering reconstructed works, or those completed by another composer, e.g., Mahler's Tenth Symphony.  No, I don't enjoy it quite as much as the first nine, but after hearing it, I'm really glad the imperfect, reconstructed Tenth is around for me to listen to.

--Bruce

Kullervo

Quote from: paulb on February 12, 2008, 10:29:38 AM

Pump him if you care.

To quote Elvis Costello and possibly an old SNL skit, "Pump it up!"

Ephemerid

Quite a few weeks a go I downloaded his Etude No. 2 for organ-- mysterious & beautiful, a softly glowing sort of thing.  There are sounds on there I have no idea how they are being made (it almost doesn't even sound like a pipe organ).  Anyone know anything about this piece? 

Ephemerid

Correction-- I think its Etude No. 1 "Harmonies" (I don't have it here with me)

bhodges

You're right: that's the first one.  The second is Coulée (1969).  I've heard them (the Sony version) but can't offer much more about their composition--maybe someone else can.

--Bruce

Ephemerid

I'm not familiar with Ligeti much except for that Etude No. 1 for organ and Lux Aeterna (I have copies of only these two pieces).  Well, I know I've heard some other stuff (Lux Aeterna being one of them) in some of Kubrick's films.  I think Atmospheres is one of them?  I've seen the term "micropolyphany" or something like that in connection with those particular works I think...?

I'm really interested in more Ligeti works like this, along these lines... It reminds me a bit of some of Eno's darker ambient work (like On Land), except its acoustic.  Any suggestions, anybody?

bhodges

If you like Atmosphères, you will probably like Lontano, and also Ramifications, for 12 strings, with half of them tuned a quarter-tone sharp. 

Here is a reading of Ramifications on YouTube (although the performers aren't identified).

--Bruce

Ephemerid

Quote from: bhodges on February 12, 2008, 11:36:38 AM
If you like Atmosphères, you will probably like Lontano, and also Ramifications, for 12 strings, with half of them tuned a quarter-tone sharp. 

Here is a reading of Ramifications on YouTube (although the performers aren't identified).

--Bruce

Cool, thanks!  Just needed to be pointed in the right direction to get started.  I'll listen to that YouTube clip when I get home tonight too...