György Ligeti (1923-2006)

Started by bhodges, April 06, 2007, 06:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: orfeo on September 05, 2012, 07:06:48 PM
Because my wallet is not a bottomless pit.

I've already explained the criteria, whether you accept them or not the criteria in this instance are (1) store has been selected, (2) now considering composers. It certainly isn't the way that I buy my music most of the time, but at this point of time that's the rule I've imposed on myself and I'm sticking with it.  Store is not offering Warner box set. Therefore, Warner box set is not being bought.

Your self-imposed limitation to one store seems rather silly and childish to me, but, hey, what do I know? I own the DG set Clear Or Cloudy and it's non-essential. It's four discs of material that has been better performed elsewhere. Go online and speak with Ligeti fans and most of them will talk about the Teldec recordings and with good reason: they are the best representation of the composer available. These were performances that were also done in the presence of the composer himself. The other box set to own is the one Culver linked for you. This has all the other works and chamber pieces that you need. After buying these two sets, you don't need the DG set unless, like me, you're a completist.

Mirror Image

Quote from: edward on April 15, 2012, 06:35:14 PMTo my mind, the best piece from his last ten years is the song cycle Síppal, dobbal, nádihegedüvel, which though not major Ligeti retains the imagination and magic of his best works.

This is a fun work, edward! I like the instrumentation --- very different. It has this sort of craziness to that only Ligeti could compose. Had another composer come up with this instead of Ligeti, I doubt I would have even put much stock into it, but the inventiveness of this music captivated me from start to finish.

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 05, 2012, 10:13:35 PM
Your self-imposed limitation to one store seems rather silly and childish to me, but, hey, what do I know?

Temporary self-imposed limitation, and whatever you know isn't helping if you start answering questions that weren't asked.  You're like a person standing with me in an ice cream shop, looking at the 25 flavours available in that ice cream shop, and telling me "I don't understand why you won't buy butterscotch" when none of the 25 flavours in front of me are butterscotch.  If I'm not inclined to go to your favourite ice cream shop down the street which is awash with butterscotch, does that make me silly and childish?

Thanks for helping rule out Ligeti for now, as neither of the people who responded seem to think the DG set is worth buying.  It doesn't matter, for current purposes, precisely why you think it's not worth buying.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

At last count, it's a choice between a box of Ligeti and 15 other boxes that are still in the running.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

not edward

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on September 06, 2012, 02:42:38 AM
But if the choice is a binary one between the DG box and no Ligeti at all, then sure, I'd get it, no question.  This is accessible and enjoyable music.  It may be different, but it's not difficult.
Yup. Lots of outstanding music on the DG set, even if it's bits & pieces rather than any kind of thorough coverage of the composer. Particular highlights to me are Abbado's Atmospheres and Lontano; Atherton's Melodien and the Kontarsky brothers in the Three Pieces for Two Pianos, but there's little that's anything other than excellent stuff here.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Mirror Image

Quote from: orfeo on September 06, 2012, 01:24:33 AMThanks for helping rule out Ligeti for now, as neither of the people who responded seem to think the DG set is worth buying.  It doesn't matter, for current purposes, precisely why you think it's not worth buying.

::) If you don't want to explore Ligeti's music, that's your own prerogative. You're missing out. I chose not to acknowledge your own criteria because the criteria you're using is moronic.

bhodges

Quote from: orfeo on September 06, 2012, 03:51:03 AM
At last count, it's a choice between a box of Ligeti and 15 other boxes that are still in the running.

Do consider the DG box, especially if you haven't heard many of the works included. Since I have many of the original recordings I haven't bought it, but can agree with edward: it's well worth considering. Highlights: Abbado and the Vienna Philharmonic doing Atmosphères and Lontano, the North German Radio choir in Lux aeterna, the Violin Concerto with Saschko Gawriloff and the Piano Concerto with Aimard. And Zacher's performance of Volumina is a beast, if you're up for it; I recall almost being frightened, the first time I heard it.  ;D

--Bruce

petrarch

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 06, 2012, 07:31:37 AM
::) If you don't want to explore Ligeti's music, that's your own prerogative. You're missing out. I chose not to acknowledge your own criteria because the criteria you're using is moronic.

I see you returned in top shape ::).

Orfeo, go for the DG box. It is a good starting point to get into Ligeti's music as others pointed out. Also, given the constraints (low price), it can't be beaten. Did you explore Ligeti's music on youtube already? It might give you an idea of what else you are missing in that box and whether it is enough to satisfy you for now.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

bhodges

Quote from: petrarch on September 06, 2012, 08:07:37 AM
Did you explore Ligeti's music on youtube already? It might give you an idea of what else you are missing in that box and whether it is enough to satisfy you for now.

Great advice, which I always forget.

--Bruce

petrarch

Just to add to the discussion, the recording of the Chamber Concerto on DG is still my favourite Ligeti work ever, and it was only more than a decade later that I decided to complement the individual DG discs I had with the Sony and Telarc releases. In other words, you can live very happily with the DG box and not feel shortchanged.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Mirror Image

Quote from: petrarch on September 06, 2012, 08:19:24 AM
Just to add to the discussion, the recording of the Chamber Concerto on DG is still my favourite Ligeti work ever, and it was only more than a decade later that I decided to complement the individual DG discs I had with the Sony and Telarc releases. In other words, you can live very happily with the DG box and not feel shortchanged.

You mean Teldec. I can see you've been posting in top shape as well.  ::)

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 06, 2012, 07:31:37 AM

::) If I wasn't interested in exploring Ligeti's music, I wouldn't have posted in this thread in the first place. I would have posted in the thread of another composer.

Look, maybe you're retired or something.  Maybe you have the time to listen to 100 or so new CDs at once. Maybe you have the option to add every composer you're interested in adding to your music library all at once. 

I don't, okay? I have to cut the list down to something more manageable.  It's called prioritisation.  I have 15 interesting boxes to consider adding to the 18 CDs I already purchased recently, and you can't seem to get it through your brain that I am simply not interested in adding further options beyond the ones I've already been presented by another source!  The goal is to CUT DOWN the list, not add more, larger boxes to it.

There is nothing moronic about this whatsoever., except to someone who has nothing to do all day besides listen to music.  It might be open to you to simultaneously buy the works of Ligeti, Beethoven, Delibes, Handel, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Liszt, Tchaikovsky, Berg, Elgar, Janacek, Dvorak, Prokofiev, Bridge and Debussy that I'm considering, but it's completely IMpractical for me unless I plan to make no further purchases until some time in the middle of 2014.

Mirror Image

Quote from: orfeo on September 06, 2012, 08:30:09 AM
::) If I wasn't interested in exploring Ligeti's music, I wouldn't have posted in this thread in the first place. I would have posted in the thread of another composer.

Look, maybe you're retired or something.  Maybe you have the time to listen to 100 or so new CDs at once. I don't, okay? I have to cut the list down to something more manageable.  It's called prioritisation.  I have 15 interesting boxes to consider adding to the 18 CDs I already purchased recently, and you can't seem to get it through your brain that I am simply not interested in adding further options beyond the ones I've already been presented by another source!  The goal is to CUT DOWN the list, not add more, larger boxes to it.

There is nothing moronic about this whatsoever.

You come here inquiring whether the Ligeti DG box is worth adding to your collection and I say it's a good set BUT the Warner set is better. I really don't care how many box sets you're looking at. That's irrelevant to me and I'm simply not going to play your game. What I am going to do is offer a much better recommendation which would be the Warner set, but since you seem unable to buy from an online source, then I guess you'll have to get the DG set then won't you?

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 06, 2012, 08:40:11 AM
I really don't care how many box sets you're looking at. That's irrelevant to me and I'm simply not going to play your game.

Yes, because when I ask a question it's all about your desires, not mine.  ::)

I'm sure then, you'll be able to tell me which of the composers I've added to my last post I should ignore.

EDIT: I recommend you pick about 10 to 12.

Mirror Image

Quote from: orfeo on September 06, 2012, 08:44:41 AM
Yes, because when I ask a question it's all about your desires, not mine.  ::)

I'm sure then, you'll be able to tell me which of the composers I've added to my last post I should ignore.

EDIT: I recommend you pick about 12.

No, it's about me not really caring what box sets your looking at. You came here asking about the Ligeti DG set, I gave you a better alternative. Take it or leave it. It must be hell limiting yourself to only one store, but that's the restriction you put on yourself.

Madiel

Yes, it is.  And if you hadn't taken the "I don't know why you don't...." tone we needn't have had this entire conversation where you keep saying you don't actually care.  Now you DO know.

CRCulver

orfeo, if money is an issue, I'd just recommend pirating the Sony and Teldec boxes just so that your first acquaintance with Ligeti is from the composer-approved recordings. Get the DG if you'd like, but hear it after the definitive sets.

Mirror Image

Quote from: orfeo on September 06, 2012, 02:27:38 PM
Yes, it is.  And if you hadn't taken the "I don't know why you don't...." tone we needn't have had this entire conversation where you keep saying you don't actually care.  Now you DO know.

You still crying about this? Let it go, man. Buy what you want. As CRCulver just said, the Warner and Sony sets are composer approved and much better performances, but, in the end, you'll do whatever you want which I understand.

Madiel

Right. So now they're "much better performances".  Got it.

Oh, and a huge no to pirating.  Absolutely not

snyprrr

Quote from: orfeo on September 06, 2012, 07:49:11 PM
Right. So now they're "much better performances".  Got it.

Oh, and a huge no to pirating.  Absolutely not

Get the Warners ;)