Sibelius Symphonies

Started by Steve, April 12, 2007, 09:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aukhawk

A really good read, thankyou André.

Quote from: André on May 03, 2019, 05:53:12 PM
... exhaustive in scope: only the 3rd and 6th are missing from his repertoire - he claimed they remained closed books to him, a candid but honest admission.

Interesting isn't it, that Karajan, another committed advocate of Sibelius' music, also never recorded (or even performed, apparently) the 3rd.

vandermolen

Quote from: aukhawk on May 04, 2019, 12:25:35 AM

A really good read, thankyou André.

Interesting isn't it, that Karajan, another committed advocate of Sibelius' music, also never recorded (or even performed, apparently) the 3rd.

Yes, that is curious. Maybe it's difficult to get right. I like the versions by Rattle and Kamu (DGG).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on May 04, 2019, 01:04:03 AM
Yes, that is curious. Maybe it's difficult to get right. I like the versions by Rattle and Kamu (DGG).

I rather like and respect the idea that a conductor could be selective like that.  The exact opposite of now when everything seems to be part of a survey/cycle/themed sequence.  Even the bloomin' Proms have to be given an umbrella theme...........

André

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 04, 2019, 01:37:57 AM
I rather like and respect the idea that a conductor could be selective like that.  The exact opposite of now when everything seems to be part of a survey/cycle/themed sequence.  Even the bloomin' Proms have to be given an umbrella theme...........

+1. That's intellectual honesty.

André

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 03, 2019, 11:49:30 PM
Andre - thankyou for such a thoughtful and valuable assessment of this set.  I was trying to see where/if the mono versions of 4&5 exist on CD.  I can find various incarnations of them as MP3's or streamed but no discs as such.  Were they released on CD?

They were not released commercially, but cds can be obtained through these 2 sites (transcripts from prime condition lp)

- Page 1 of HaydnHouse: http://www.haydnhouse.com/HH1.htm. That's the one I have.

- Pristineclassical web site:
https://www.pristineclassical.com/collections/artist-eugene-ormandy/products/pasc177
(includes musical clip of the scherzo and reviews of the disc). I'll buy it as I think the remastering has been done with more sophisticated equipment and care.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: André on May 03, 2019, 05:53:12 PMonly the 3rd and 6th are missing from his repertoire - he claimed they remained closed books to him, a candid but honest admission.

Perhaps my two favorites among the Sibelius symphonies, probably 3, 5, 6 are my top tier of appreciation.

relm1

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 15, 2019, 10:46:30 AM
Perhaps my two favorites among the Sibelius symphonies, probably 3, 5, 6 are my top tier of appreciation.

I think one of the reasons why Sibelius is one of the top symphonists is all his symphonies are great but they reveal themselves at different times.  I understand where Ormandy is coming from AND agree with you that they are among my favorites.