Mozart Piano Concerto 26 - Recommended Recording?

Started by ClassicalWeekly, September 07, 2011, 08:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicalWeekly

Can anyone suggest a great recording of Mozart's Piano Concerto 26?  I've browsed around Amazon and it seems that it's not such a popular concerto in terms of the number of available recordings. I've got the Anda box-set version which I like, but past that I'm not sure which way to go.

Thanks in advance.
www.classicalweekly.com - Weekly Classical Music Suggestions

Get our iTunes and Classical Music eBook!

jlaurson

Quote from: ClassicalWeekly on September 07, 2011, 08:40:36 AM
Can anyone suggest a great recording of Mozart's Piano Concerto 26?  I've browsed around Amazon and it seems that it's not such a popular concerto in terms of the number of available recordings. I've got the Anda box-set version which I like, but past that I'm not sure which way to go.

Thanks in advance.

Anda is good... and there are lots of others, too... (historical Casadesus/Szell comes to mind)... but here are three favorites of mine, roughly in order:

Mozart, PC 26 et al.
Curzon / Kertesz / LSO
Decca

(split across discs, alas)

Mozart, PC 26 et al.
Badura-Skoda / Prague CO
naive

Mozart, PC 26 et al.
Gulda / Harnoncourt / RCO
Apex

Mozart, PC 26 et al.
Pires / Abbado / WPh
DG

26 is also one of Brendel's best Mozart recordings and I also always trust Buchbinder in Mozart.

ClassicalWeekly

www.classicalweekly.com - Weekly Classical Music Suggestions

Get our iTunes and Classical Music eBook!

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Drasko

Quote from: jlaurson on September 07, 2011, 08:58:24 AM
Anda is good... and there are lots of others, too... (historical Casadesus/Szell comes to mind)...

or here

Don't know about 'historical', I think it's just few years older than Curzon recording.

Roberto

If you would like HIP performance, this is my favorite:
[asin]B00000HY9I[/asin]
It is an OOP recording but you maybe found a used copy. (I've bought a used also.) It is a truly special recording because Robert Levin played on Mozart's own fortepiano and his improvisations are superb even if I compare it to other of his recordings.

val

Perahia is good, but my favorite recording is Casadesus/Szell. However, I don't think this is one of Mozart's best Concertos.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on September 07, 2011, 08:58:24 AM
(historical Casadesus/Szell comes to mind)...

Quote from: Drasko on September 07, 2011, 10:39:40 AM
Don't know about 'historical', I think it's just few years older than Curzon recording.

I heard Szell live, conducting Curzon and Mozart (21). Jens makes me feel so...old  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ClassicalMusic2000

I am a lover of the best classical music. Awakens the senses and nourish the soul.