William Mathias (1934-92)

Started by Maestro267, August 01, 2015, 11:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 06, 2019, 12:10:12 PM
Keep trying,maybe?! I found some of her music a little,severe,at first! I've just been bowled over,by her Missa Cambrensis,though;after listening to the cd-r,I made,some time ago,of the (fairly) recent performance;which,alas,will never reach a planned,Lyrita,cd!! :( (Available for download,at the Art Music Forum,by the way,if anyone's interested,in very good sound quality?!)
She is one of a number of Welsh composers whose music I find very appealing, including Daniel Jones (everything I have heard) Alun Hoddinott (selected works) and William Mathias (selected works).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on July 01, 2019, 09:05:41 AM
I rather like the idea of the Zeppelin hangar acoustic!
8)

So you're the one Nimbus was trying please.  ???  (They've gotten much better in recent years.)

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on July 06, 2019, 02:50:21 PM
So you're the one Nimbus was trying please.  ???  (They've gotten much better in recent years.)
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: kyjo on June 29, 2019, 09:42:46 PM
Mathias doesn't get discussed as much as other British composers here, but I've really enjoyed exploring his output recently. His compositional voice is unique and instantly recognizable - his works are notable for their very colorful orchestration, with particularly extensive and arresting use of the percussion (especially of the tuned variety). The composer whose style he's closest to is probably Tippett in his more atmospheric, "magical" works (e.g. the Piano Concerto), but Mathias generally uses dissonance more lightly than him. Perhaps his music lacks the "heart" of, say, Arnold or Lloyd, but it is all very engaging and accessible. All three of his symphonies are excellent - the 1st has a particularly gorgeous slow movement with prominent orchestral piano part, the 2nd (Summer Music) has a most magically mysterious opening and a riotously energetic finale, and 3rd is the darkest (yet still colorful) of the three. Also, his Harp Concerto is quite mesmerizing - one of the finest in the genre along with those by Ginastera, Gliere, and Jongen - and his Clarinet Concerto is great as well with an infectiously jazzy finale.
I took this - and other confessions here in reply - for an incentive to play the three symphonies again, after at least two decades. Hopefully today, and the glorious Lux Aeterna afterwards. #manythanks  ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on July 08, 2019, 10:02:19 PM
I took this - and other confessions here in reply - for an incentive to play the three symphonies again, after at least two decades. Hopefully today, and the glorious Lux Aeterna afterwards. #manythanks  ;)
I like No.1 very much but know little else. What should be my next port-of-call for Mathias?

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 08, 2019, 10:05:18 PM
I like No.1 very much but know little else. What should be my next port-of-call for Mathias?
I'm not the one to ask - still have to dive into this composer. But do you happen to know this disc? Both Hoddinott's and Mathias 'Celtic', Welsh, and other dances are very competitve with the best by Malcolm Arnold. (And the Welsh Youth Orchestra sounding very professional).

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

cilgwyn

Don't you like his Piano Concertos? I think they're great! I remember catching one of them on the way to Tesco. On my pocket radio! (No DAB,a knob for tuning!). I kept thinking! What's that? What's that? I had some idea it might be an American composer,as there seemed to be some 'jazzy' rhythms. Or even,Ginastera,at one point!! It turned out to be his Piano Concerto No 3. I would thoroughly recommend the Somm cd. There's Lux Aeterna;which Christo recommends. I was really,'blown away',by that,as they say!! And then there's the Lyrita cd of choral works. I also think the Nimbus cd of his third symphony is very good. I would rate the third above his Second. Although,I like that! I'd go for the Piano Concertos and Lux Aeterna first,though,if it was me? But you aren't!!! ;D

Roy Bland

Quote from: Christo on July 08, 2019, 10:17:52 PM
I'm not the one to ask - still have to dive into this composer. But do you happen to know this disc? Both Hoddinott's and Mathias 'Celtic', Welsh, and other dances are very competitve with the best by Malcolm Arnold. (And the Welsh Youth Orchestra sounding very professional).

Wonderful disc.

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on July 08, 2019, 10:17:52 PM

Yes, very nice disc which I only acquired recently.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 09, 2019, 04:57:05 AM
Don't you like his Piano Concertos? I think they're great! I remember catching one of them on the way to Tesco. On my pocket radio! (No DAB,a knob for tuning!). I kept thinking! What's that? What's that? I had some idea it might be an American composer,as there seemed to be some 'jazzy' rhythms. Or even,Ginastera,at one point!! It turned out to be his Piano Concerto No 3. I would thoroughly recommend the Somm cd. There's Lux Aeterna;which Christo recommends. I was really,'blown away',by that,as they say!! And then there's the Lyrita cd of choral works. I also think the Nimbus cd of his third symphony is very good. I would rate the third above his Second. Although,I like that! I'd go for the Piano Concertos and Lux Aeterna first,though,if it was me? But you aren't!!! ;D
Ok, thanks very much cigwyn. I don't recall his piano concertos at all, so it will be No.3 next and Lux Aeterna.

kyjo

In addition to the other two symphonies I highly recommend the Harp Concerto. I don't know the piano concerti (yet).
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on July 14, 2019, 08:20:42 PM
In addition to the other two symphonies I highly recommend the Harp Concerto. I don't know the piano concerti (yet).
Thanks Kyle.
:)

Symphonic Addict

Superb. Simply superb pieces. I could consider them like the best string quartets from Wales (even over the Jones). It seemed that each quartet was better than the previous one, although I found the No. 2 more awesome and memorable. The 2nd movement is to die for, absolutely beautiful. Loved the gestures and sonorities on the whole work. The 1st quartet is in one movement and it's dark, somber, and always engrossing. The No. 3 possesses angst and also has quite arresting sonorities and a captivating development.

All in all, no dull moments at all. Definitely another disc that goes to my best revelations this year. The only bad thing is the rather weird cover art.  ;D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 24, 2020, 08:59:00 PM

Superb. Simply superb pieces. I could consider them like the best string quartets from Wales (even over the Jones). It seemed that each quartet was better than the previous one, although I found the No. 2 more awesome and memorable. The 2nd movement is to die for, absolutely beautiful. Loved the gestures and sonorities on the whole work. The 1st quartet is in one movement and it's dark, somber, and always engrossing. The No. 3 possesses angst and also has quite arresting sonorities and a captivating development.

All in all, no dull moments at all. Definitely another disc that goes to my best revelations this year. The only bad thing is the rather weird cover art.  ;D
Interesting Cesar. I should investigate more Mathias but love Symphony 1. Yes, the cover  image is awful! It looks like an image of the composer printed from a photocopier which is running out of toner and needs a replacement cartridge.

André

Coincidentally, reading this while listening to the Nimbus disc with symph. No 3 on it.

Thanks for your post, Cesar. I've ordered the quartets (very reasonable price).  :)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 24, 2020, 09:36:15 PM
Interesting Cesar. I should investigate more Mathias but love Symphony 1. Yes, the cover  image is awful! It looks like an image of the composer printed from a photocopier which is running out of toner and needs a replacement cartridge.

Haha it had to be like that.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on September 25, 2020, 05:45:46 AM
Coincidentally, reading this while listening to the Nimbus disc with symph. No 3 on it.

Thanks for your post, Cesar. I've ordered the quartets (very reasonable price).  :)

I hope you enjoy it, André, as much (or more) as I do.

Noam Chomsky

André

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 25, 2020, 11:39:29 AM
I hope you enjoy it, André, as much (or more) as I do.

Yes I did. Just posted comments in the WAYL2 thread.

P.S. The 'out of toner cartridge' comment is spot on.  :D

André

I know it has nothing to do here, but I could not let this coincidence pass without mentioning it:

This excellent series' main character is one DCI Mathias and is set in Aberysthwyth, Mid-Wales, with one episode featuring composer William Mathias's alma mater, University of Wales, Aberysthwyth. Recommended.

There. Now you know.   ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: André on February 11, 2021, 05:48:44 PM
I know it has nothing to do here, but I could not let this coincidence pass without mentioning it:

This excellent series' main character is one DCI Mathias and is set in Aberysthwyth, Mid-Wales, with one episode featuring composer William Mathias's alma mater, University of Wales, Aberysthwyth. Recommended.

There. Now you know.   ;D
Will look out for it!